Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,582,359 times

Advertisements

This equals out to about 170-208 liters. Would this bother you if it was your relative or good friend? This ends up being about 3-4 (5 oz. glasses per day).

Can someone not be considered an alcoholic when drinking this much? What are your thoughts on this?

Here is a pdf file of averages per country.

Per Capita Wine Consumption by Country (PDF) - The Wine Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
A regular bottle of wine has 25.4 ounces it. So they're drinking more than a half bottle of wine but less than a full bottle of wine every day.

I don't know what that makes them - maybe an alcoholic, maybe a heavy drinker, maybe a heavy moderate drinker. I guess it really depends on the person...

If you are concerned about them, why don't you talk to them?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
A half bottle of wine A DAY? That's an alcoholic. Had a neighbor who drank a bottle a day, said it was ok because "it's just wine". She finally got into rehab. Moderation is the key. One or two glasses a day would be plenty I would think.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Seems like too much! Years ago I started drinking a couple glasses of wine in the evening, which escalated to an entire bottle (regular bottle, not a liter) per evening. I realized it was too much, and addictive. so I stopped. I had night sweats for a couple weeks when I stopped! (a sign of alcohol withdrawal). So I pretty much avoid wine now. Every couple months I get a bottle and tend to drink the whole bottle in an evening. But otherwise, I don't drink at all. I like beer, but can take it or leave it, or just have one or two at a very occassional party/meal out. But wine... it has powers over me lol!

And on the plus side, I wake up much more rested after giving up the regular wine habit

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
I drank a bottle of wine (4 glasses) every night for about 14 years. Quit suddenly and had no effects with the exception of the onset of tinnitus.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A half bottle of wine A DAY? That's an alcoholic. Had a neighbor who drank a bottle a day, said it was ok because "it's just wine". She finally got into rehab. Moderation is the key. One or two glasses a day would be plenty I would think.
There are 5 glasses(servings) in a bottle of wine- so 2 and a half glasses in a half bottle. Many consider 2 drinks moderation. The term alcoholic means many different things depending on your views. I would not consider a half bottle of wine a day anywhere near being one.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
This equals out to about 170-208 liters. Would this bother you if it was your relative or good friend? This ends up being about 3-4 (5 oz. glasses per day).

Can someone not be considered an alcoholic when drinking this much? What are your thoughts on this?

Here is a pdf file of averages per country.

Per Capita Wine Consumption by Country (PDF) - The Wine Institute
That seems like a heck of a lot of wine, but when you break it down, 3 or 4, 5 oz glasses a day isn't really that many...Does that make a person an alcoholic? Well, I guess it depends on your definition of an alcoholic. I would add, I do not consider this to be an alcoholic, maybe a heavy drinker, maybe it is time to re-examine ones drinking habits, but it doesn't seem like a full blown alcie...

If you do have a friend or relative that is drinking that much and you are concerned, try to talk to them, see how they feel about themselves and their wine consumption. I do know a lot of couples who split a bottle every night, or almost and I don't consider them alcoholics at all. Let me add just one thing, 4 glasses a day might be pushing the button a little, but 2 or 3 probalby will never hurt anyone.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
But that's every day of the entire year. That's an alcoholic. If it's not every day, then it's a lot more wine on any given occasion - also an alkie.

The key question is, does the person have the same friends, family, and job as they did years ago? HAve they quit for more than a month or two? If they go without drinking for a day, do they feel "bad?"

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I do think this can be looked at in context and culturally. I dont think two glasses of wine each night with dinner, and a glass before bed is excessive.

An alcoholic is more a definition of functional deficits to me, rather than quantity. Does this person pass out? Has their work or home life been negatively impacted by drinking alcohol? Has this person been arrested for drunk driving or public intoxication? Are there health issues impacted by excessive drinking? Those issues merit intervention.

A few glasses of wine with dinner..not a big deal.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
But that's every day of the entire year. That's an alcoholic. If it's not every day, then it's a lot more wine on any given occasion - also an alkie.

The key question is, does the person have the same friends, family, and job as they did years ago? HAve they quit for more than a month or two? If they go without drinking for a day, do they feel "bad?"
Good point, I was just thinking, gee, a lot of us do have 2 or 3 glasses everynight, but when you do the math and realize that is every single night of the year, regardless of anything else, I guess it is a little over the top..You would think, there are days when a person, for whatever reason wouldn't have a drink at all or certainly not 3 or 4..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness