Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times

Advertisements

maybe I will try the Vitex, I see it helped you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I used the Quantum brand vitex/female hormone balance for several months. It takes a few to work.

Be aware of that. I now bought another brand (it's horrid tasting) because they didn't have that brand at the health food store up here (I moved recently).

I use the tincture not a pill.

I see you are in New England, too. If you are in NH or VT try at the Co-op. I suggest you get the one mixed with alcohol as this pure one (without alcohol) is like swallowing nasty prune juice. But at $12 a bottle, I have to use it.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I finally called about my biopsy and it was fine Doing a happy dance. I had a really bad patch from December till July with AWFUL periods (long and draining) that I had to go to get myself checked out.

So I did all I could about it. Like I said, I've been taking vitex since May and it has helped with bad PMS and the hot flashes. Yes, I don't want to fight it, but when you have to live in the world, being in the bathroom x-teen times a day due to bad periods is awful. I believe the vitex has helped me. I had normal periods in August (just a heavy week but not extended), last month was beautifully short..this month--nothing yet...and no..it's not (you know what..)

I walk every day, at least half an hour and back to get my mail. On weekends we go to the park and walk more...I am getting more exercise than I ever did.

Guess this is how it is..?

Thanks for the support
Yup, that's how it is. Some people think perimenopause is when periods get lighter and lighter. Not the case. They can get really heavy !!!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
The heavy periods can be fixed. For some women, the blood loss is too much and for others it's a quality of life issue. You can have endometrial ablation. It's an outpatient procedure and you get a couple days worth of pain meds. Another benefit, you can't get PG afterwards either. If you continue to have periods at all afterwards, they are very light. It doesn't alter the normal progression of menopause or hormone balances.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Yup, that's how it is. Some people think perimenopause is when periods get lighter and lighter. Not the case. They can get really heavy !!!
I was hoping it would get lighter, but no such luck....just bought a book by Susan Weed about menopause and it is very enlightning.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I used the Quantum brand vitex/female hormone balance for several months. It takes a few to work.

Be aware of that. I now bought another brand (it's horrid tasting) because they didn't have that brand at the health food store up here (I moved recently).

I use the tincture not a pill.

I see you are in New England, too. If you are in NH or VT try at the Co-op. I suggest you get the one mixed with alcohol as this pure one (without alcohol) is like swallowing nasty prune juice. But at $12 a bottle, I have to use it.
I'm in Central MA, but I have been to the great co-op in Brattleboro, loved it I will look for it at the health food store in Worcester. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The heavy periods can be fixed. For some women, the blood loss is too much and for others it's a quality of life issue. You can have endometrial ablation. It's an outpatient procedure and you get a couple days worth of pain meds. Another benefit, you can't get PG afterwards either. If you continue to have periods at all afterwards, they are very light. It doesn't alter the normal progression of menopause or hormone balances.
I'd love to hear from someone who has das this done. If you don't mind me asking, have you?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I am 54 and thought I was peri-menopausal for years but turns out I am not. After 3 mos. of very serious continuous bleeding and the rest of the year spotting I just found out what the problem is. I had an internal ultrasound and found out I had a fibroid tumor so I figured that was it. Then I had a pap smear and an endometrial biopsy. I just got the results today. My doctor says when you are peri-menopausal you bleed LESS not more. Bleeding more indicates a different issue. I am producing little to no progestrone and not ovulating but am producing too much estrogen. He said if left unmanaged it would likely develop into uterine cancer (which my grandmother died of). He is going to put me on progestrone for 2 months to counteract the estrogen. Then I have another biopsy. It is very likely that this will finally send me into menopause (which I welcome!). Let's hope! I'd seek a second opinion if you are having these serious periods and your doctor says you are fine. That makes no sense.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I'd love to hear from someone who has das this done. If you don't mind me asking, have you?
My sister had it done and said it's wonderful.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I have heard bad things about that procedure. I was considering it myself. I suggest you read up about it.

Brokencrayola, I have been to 3 gynos over the years. One said I had hyperplasia and I had provera (similar to what you are taking). That was back in 2003 or so. I have normal Paps the other times. I've had many ultrasounds..small cysts that come and go. I was anemic and went on iron pills. I had all the bloodwork and tests done in August...all fine. It was probably stress (trying to move for 3 years) and hormones as well. I have had normal periods the last few months. I think I was not ovulating those other months.

Doctors all differ. Bleeding too much can be from many causes. Like I said, I credit the Vitex...it seemed to help my killer headaches at ovulation/preperiod times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness