U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times

Advertisements

I have been living with peri for years now, despite only being 41. It's such a pain, especially the 'where is my period' problem. I've been taking vitex (a herbel remedy) which has helped my heavy (very very) periods, been to the gyno over and over, but every month my period is a bit late I am thinking "here we go again, a bad month..."

Bad month meaning heavy periods due to it being late. It's a bummer. It's yet another 'stressor' I don't need in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

65,144 posts, read 16,021,406 times
Have you checked your doctor? I am in my 50's,so I don't have a period. I had an ovary removed because I had a cyst,I had heavy bleeding. So check it out!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,060,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have been living with peri for years now, despite only being 41. It's such a pain, especially the 'where is my period' problem. I've been taking vitex (a herbel remedy) which has helped my heavy (very very) periods, been to the gyno over and over, but every month my period is a bit late I am thinking "here we go again, a bad month..."

Bad month meaning heavy periods due to it being late. It's a bummer. It's yet another 'stressor' I don't need in my life.
Why do you keep going to the gyno? You don't need to go to the doctor. You're body is just behaving naturally. Try exercising more and taking oil of primrose. And don't let it stress you out. Just relax and learn to accept it, rather than fight it.

Greenie

Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
I am in my 50's,so I don't have a period.
Plenty of women in their 50's still get periods (some even bear children--not that I'd want to do that.)
Gypsy, I've had my ups and downs with this perimenopause thing. It has been really weird: I've lost a good ten pounds since I've been making less estrogen. I thought I had cancer or something!
I was worried for awhile but have now reached a maintenance weight.
I've had the "where is my period" occasions several times, then things dwindled down to nothing. I am now almost 53 and haven't had a period in 5 months.
If I make it till next spring without a period, I guess that will mean I've reached the other side of the hill. But I have friends older than me who are still struggling with various symptoms.
Pianogal's post about Hot Flash, a natural product made by Source, really helped me out.
I was having umpteen flashes a day and am much more comfortable since taking that Hot Flash stuff. I just take it once a day, not the three times that the instructions suggest.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
I finally called about my biopsy and it was fine Doing a happy dance. I had a really bad patch from December till July with AWFUL periods (long and draining) that I had to go to get myself checked out.

So I did all I could about it. Like I said, I've been taking vitex since May and it has helped with bad PMS and the hot flashes. Yes, I don't want to fight it, but when you have to live in the world, being in the bathroom x-teen times a day due to bad periods is awful. I believe the vitex has helped me. I had normal periods in August (just a heavy week but not extended), last month was beautifully short..this month--nothing yet...and no..it's not (you know what..)

I walk every day, at least half an hour and back to get my mail. On weekends we go to the park and walk more...I am getting more exercise than I ever did.

Guess this is how it is..?

Thanks for the support

Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
I am glad you have some good news!!!
I am 44 and no doubt in the perimenopause stage. I have started "flooding", which is no fun. Plan on consulting a holistic doctor about it...
Also it seems like my PMS is getting worse... the joys of getting older, LOL!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
Watch your diet.
I was told to cut out chicken because of the hormones in it and to cut out dairy unless both of these are organic. I thought at first it sounded a little crazy but it's helped me with my perimenopausal symptoms.
I also agree with Greenie. This is a natural thing that happens so go with it and hang in there. I'm with ya on this one.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM

I'm also doing a happy dance for you that your biopsy came back showing nothing.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
Not sure if your comment was for me? :-)
I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and eat little dairy and if I do, it's organic...
Been thinking about trying Vitex? Anyone have any experience with this and did it help?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM

My comment was to the poster and to anyone reading this thread. Just sharing what worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness