Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM

168 posts, read 1,211,896 times

Advertisements

Sugar is certainly better than the stuff they put in the diet versions. Take a look at the list of ingredients on the next can, side by side. The diet has SO many more chemicals~

That said, I don't drink any soda because of all the junk in it. I used to drink juice with seltzer water to satisfy that fizzy thing, but I don't do that any more either. Sad to say, whether it's soda or seltzer, there is plenty of evidence that fizzy drinks actually pulls calcium from your bones, so you are much more likely to end up with osteoporosis/low bone density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I read somewhere that aspertane (sp?) causes cancer...
I have read that somewhere also. And....a local girl that drank quantities of diet soda everyday now has terminal brain cancer....
I think BOTH diet and regular soda are poison....it is the aspertane and excessive sugar that are bad...slow death.

Bud

Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love diet soda and I drink too much of it!

The only thing I've seen real hard data on is that the brown sodas with phosphoric acid will accelerate bone loss as we age. So I take a lot of extra calcium.

I drink 2-4 Diet Cokes a day. I won't say that it's good for you, but I just had a bone density test done and was told that I have the bones of a 22 year old. And I'm 52....

Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
If you drink a lot of Soda, make sure you drink twice as more water.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Is there any potential health effects when someone drinks excessive amounts of DIET soda? Any studies linking such that anyone knows of? Anybody heard this is bad - seems like I have but can't remember what they are.

thanks.
One is memory loss that's probably why you can't remember and headaches and joint pain and the list goes on and on

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 AM

379 posts, read 644,556 times
Diet soda does not cause cancer, ms, or lupus. Read the articles.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

That being said, it isn't very smart (or healthy) to eat or drink an excessive amount of anything

Last edited by Burgi; 01-23-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
I drink a couple sodas a day, of the regular sugared variety and not the diet variety. I do not drink the colas, as they are the ones that have the phosphoric(?) acid in them that is harmful to teeth.

I think someone can include soda as part of their daily diet without harmful effects as long as a few criteria are met. First of all, you need to drink enough water. When I have a can of soda, I always have a bottle of water sitting next to it, and I make sure I drink it. In between the couple sodas a day that I drink, I drink more water, or water with lemon. Secondly, you shouldn't drink soda if you have a weight problem -- at 5'7" and 120# I don't particularly worry about weight gain (yes, yes, hate on me now ). Thirdly, you have to have a decent overall diet otherwise. Soda is pretty much the only "bad" think I consume -- I don't overdo the fatty or fried foods, and I eat a lot of healthful veggies. And I don't eat any meat besides fish perhaps once or twice a month.

So, for me drinking soda is not an issue unless I were to overconsume it. I would shudder at the thought of drinking a sixpack or more a day

Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Is there any potential health effects when someone drinks excessive amounts of DIET soda? Any studies linking such that anyone knows of? Anybody heard this is bad - seems like I have but can't remember what they are.

thanks.
I've just posted under artificial sweeteners. I'm just detoxing myself from all this light foods and drinks. I had severe foot and leg pain. Had to quite walking everyday. Sexual dysfunction, headache, eye pain, and numerous other things. Well after two days no more leg or foot pain, after seven days sex drive came back(husband was happy) I am having trouble stay asleep evidently that is because artificial sweeteners make you tired. It takes up to two months to get the poison out of your system. On one hand I'm thanking God that I feel 100% better, the other side says I'm mad as hell I've had to go through this to begin with and there needs to be a warning on products just like cigarettes

Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I was rather hooked on Swiss Miss sugar free chocolate, and I would drink it twice a day, and my husband would tell me that my thought processes were strange and he would wonder what was wrong with me. I would go off it and be normal, just to find myself craving it again. I finally got over it when I realized that he was correct, so I won't drink anything Diet again. Cruilshi, you are fortunate to have discovered why you were having problems.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 AM

35 posts, read 59,037 times
Default With a tight grip on my Diet Dr Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love diet soda and I drink too much of it!

The only thing I've seen real hard data on is that the brown sodas with phosphoric acid will accelerate bone loss as we age. So I take a lot of extra calcium.
I enjoy my Diet Dr Pepper. Thanks for the tip on calcium, I'll start today, cause my DDP is here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness