U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound really weird. My hands aren't working right. I can't type like I used to. I was a fast typist----fingers flying across the keyboard near 100wpm. Now I feel like I have to hit the keys hard. I keep missing letters because the fingers aren't hitting keys hard enough. It's very frustrating. There's no pain. Not carpel tunnel. Not stiff. Not swollen. Nothing like that. Is a sudden decrease in motor skills like typing a symptom of something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Maybe one of these?

Stiffness or decreased movement, Unable to grip (hands) and Weakness: Common Related Medical Conditions

Pray it isn't this:
Symptoms - The ALS Association

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
It's Old Timer's Disease.

Mine are doing that too. I can't blame it on the newfangled keyboards either because this is the same keyboard I've had for the past 7 years.

We're getting OLD. I can't even chalk it up to bad hand-eye coordination because I don't look at the keyboard when I'm typing, and never did.

Come sit next to me on the porch bench and we'll quilt while we wait for our dentu-cream to set, dearie.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times
Its the computer. It doesn't work right. And it gets worse as time goes by. Its not your hands. Its the doggone computer keyboards they are making these days. Part of the problem is the keys are not the same distance apart as on a typewriter, so your reach for the key is not what it should be. And having to press too hard might mean your keyboard needs cleaning. Mine does that all the time. Especially the shift key and the o key.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,969,159 times
Perhaps, and especially if it came out of nowhere, its due to stroke activity.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM

569 posts, read 530,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is going to sound really weird. My hands aren't working right. I can't type like I used to. I was a fast typist----fingers flying across the keyboard near 100wpm. Now I feel like I have to hit the keys hard. I keep missing letters because the fingers aren't hitting keys hard enough. It's very frustrating. There's no pain. Not carpel tunnel. Not stiff. Not swollen. Nothing like that. Is a sudden decrease in motor skills like typing a symptom of something?
My hands got weird before I was diagnosed with MS. I am right handed and couldn't write or put on mascara easily at all with my right hand, my left was fine (1st clue something was wrong). They weren't numb and didn't hurt, they just didn't work. After some time they did go back to normal, my guess is it happened when the inflammation in my body lessened. Get it checked out.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
or it could be carpal tunnel, but regardless, yes,get it checked and no, don't panic. There are so many possibilities, most are not a matter of life or death....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness