Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

I have chronic osteoarthritis in my shoulders, wrists and ankles. I take Aleve, but it doesn't help remove the pain completely.

I am wondering if I should ask my doctor about Cymbalta. I know it is an anti-depressant. The drug scares me a little, as I am not really depressed.

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with Cymbalta for osteoarthritis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I have taken it for Fibromyalgia. While it worked for me, it also made me a bit nauseous. I do not think I have heard it to be used for OA, however.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have chronic osteoarthritis in my shoulders, wrists and ankles. I take Aleve, but it doesn't help remove the pain completely.

I am wondering if I should ask my doctor about Cymbalta. I know it is an anti-depressant. The drug scares me a little, as I am not really depressed.

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with Cymbalta for osteoarthritis?

All I know about it is the commercials on tv. When the list of side effects is much worse than the disease itself and when 95% of the ad is a list of these side effects-as with Cymbalta--that is pretty much my indicator of this is a medicine I will never take.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Suicidal depression is a very real possibility.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
All I know about it is the commercials on tv. When the list of side effects is much worse than the disease itself and when 95% of the ad is a list of these side effects-as with Cymbalta--that is pretty much my indicator of this is a medicine I will never take.
Thanks. I just started seeing ads in magazines. It is a scary list of side-effects.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I took it for fibromyalgia and it worked great, but it gave me horrible dry mouth / throat that caused a cough.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I was on Cymbalta for awhile for chronic pain. With all these meds so many possible side effects are listed but so many are just that 1 percent chance. When I first started this med I was very nauseated for about 2 weeks but my pain doctor said it normal and it would go away and it did. I took at night at first and a low dose which was the increased. I have tried so many meds similar to Cymbalta and don't respond with benefits but my condition often does not respond to meds. I did not have any other side effects though then the initial nausea.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
I have know patients that have had WONDERFUL SUCCESS with it and others not so much...medications are not something you can "judge" based on others reactions to them, because each of us is unique. You will find one pain med works great for someone, another not at all. Same rings true on B/P, and all other kinds of meds. The ONLY thing you can do if you and your Dr think it might help is engage the "assistance" of someone VERY close to you (spouse, significant other, sees you every day friend) and be TOTALLY HONEST with them when you start the new med and ask them to be TOTALLY HONEST with you about any changes in behavior they might see....and then try the med.

Wishing you nothing but the best!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Try Voltaren. Comes in pill form or a gel you can just rub on. Good stuff.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Ask your doctor about meloxicam. When it was a brand name drug, it was called Mobic. It is an anti-inflammatory like Aleve, but by prescription, and much stronger. Only one 15mg pill per day (with food) does it. it is generic and you can get 100 for $4 at Target or Wal-Mart. I think it's a wonderful and underutilized med, and so do my friends and family who have tried it.

At least it doesn't have the psych effects of Cymbalta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness