U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,657,355 times
Default Humid vs Dry Climate

What type of climate is better for your overall health? Living in a humid environment or a dry environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,331,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
What type of climate is better for your overall health? Living in a humid environment or a dry environment?

I think it's different for everyone. I've always lived on the east coast and just recently bought a second home in Az. I love the dry heat and for me it's much easier to deal with than humidity. I have arthritis starting in my hands and they never bother me with the dry heat. I also have knee and back pains from a few old motorcycle injuries and they are so much better in Az too. My back is almost 100% pain free when out here and within a few days of returning home it'll start aching again. We went on a 5 mile hike in Sedona the other day and never had an ounce of pain,I could never do that back home. Oh, and my allergies that I've had back east for more than 30 years are gone while in Az.,there's no pollen,mold or oak trees which I'm highly allergic to.

Of course the summer months are tough with day temps at 110 but the worst is usually from mid June-mid Sept. The nice thing is you're not soaked in sweat from all the humidity and as long as you're in some shade, being out in those temps is very doable. You'll need to drink a lot more water being so dry as you don't realize you're getting dehydrated because your sweat evaporates so quickly. You'll also use a lot more skin moisturizer and sometimes saline spray. From fall though the spring you just can't beat the weather here. Everyone heat/cold tolerances are different and you'd really have to try it for at least a few weeks for yourself to see. Come in July and you'll get the full effect.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 AM

26,625 posts, read 18,617,030 times
^^^ I have to agree with the above post. The dry heat is tolerable and great for my arthritic joints. I thought I would die after about 3 days in the humid areas of Florida and some mid-west states. Having to shower 3-4 times a day is not my cup o' tea.
In the AZ desert you can go outdoors anywhere anytime all year around. No hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes of any magnitude, no floods, no whiteouts, no blizzards, no 50 lbs of winter clothes to wear and fumbling for keys or whatever.
In all reality the desert or humid areas are not for everyone. You need to try the areas out for at least a year to see what area is more comfortable for you. Heck I've only been in the AZ desert areas since 1963, I think I've decided I like it here.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM

8,555 posts, read 14,819,764 times
The humidity here in the southeast can be pretty tough, but when a dry cold front comes thru during the winter it makes me miserable.... the dry skin and eyes, dry sinuses, chapped lips, etc. I couldnt take that year round.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM

4,167 posts, read 7,787,213 times
Since I grew up in Utah, I'm used to a dry climate and can't tolerate humidity levels (on warm/hot days) above 45%. I'd much rather slather on lotion, use conditioner on my hair, instill eye drops, run my humidifier, and drink lots of water than to deal with always feeling sticky and overheated. And as far as winters go, I'm told that winters in humid climates can be bone-chilling and the wet, heavy snow is a bear to shovel. We typically have powdery snow which is easier to remove from driveways & sidewalks...thus, reducing risk of back injuries.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Status: "Insults are the arguments of those in the wrong." (set 8 days ago)

14,129 posts, read 5,957,465 times
I love the natural humidity of the American south. My skin, eyes, hair, etc all do very well with it. When I visit a dry climate my lips, hair, nose and eyes dry out and I am miserable.

I'm very used to the heat so it just doesn't bother me much at all. And we don't really have to deal with snow or extreme cold, or even extremely wet winters here in northeast Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness