U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,987,053 times

Advertisements

I'm the same and have been most of my life. Haven't been tested for apnea, but I doubt i have it, I'm not overweight and have never snored. Anyways, for me it's not so much the amount of sleep I had, but getting up before 9 am or so is always incredibly difficult no matter when I went to bed. I'm always physically weak and exhausted in the mornings too, sometimes to the point of nausea and fainting. Had all tests done, nothing's wrong, but dr suggested it might be low sugar in the mornings, as I'm prone to getting sick/dizzy/faint during the day too and I've linked it to eating something sugary a while beforehand and nothing else. i'm pretty sure my blood pressure is low in the morning too. Only thing I find that works for me is to never rush while getting up, I always try to leave myself time to get up slowly and take it easy until I have breakfast and coffee and sit around for a few minutes, afterwards i'm much better. Oh, and it doesn't help that I have IBS which generally acts up in the mornings too! Anyways, sorry, no real advice, just commiserating. Have to say i'm grateful to be a sahm at the moment and NOT looking forward to going back to a full-time job at some point, those mornings when I worked were pure torture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,117,384 times
1. For snoring, get Breathe-Right strips. Don't get the store-brand or any other brand - the Breathe-Rights, I've found, are the only ones shaped to actually stay on your nose and open the nostrils. The others either fall off quickly, or just don't keep the nostrils unobstructed. They're great for people who are normally mouth-breathers. Usually a mouthbreather is one, because they can't breathe through their nose when they're laying down. These strips eliminate that problem entirely. Mouthbreathing is a pretty bad problem when you're sleeping - it causes bad breath, and drooling, which can cause rashes on the face and contribute to acne, and can cause dry-socket and tooth decay.

2. Get your heart and arteries checked. Women aren't "known" like men are, to have heart problems or clogged arteries. But they do get them, and it's often overlooked. My dad was feeling lethargic for years, and never gave it a moment's thought. He just assumed he was low-key, relaxed, not peppy and energetic in personality. Turns out his heart was shutting down on him, very slowly. One tiny little device to keep the pumps pumping later, and he's feeling better than he has in decades.

3. Have your nutritional levels checked. You could be anemic, or have a vitamin D deficiency, or even a B12 deficiency (not common but possible). Any of these things can create a sense of lethargy and fatigue.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM

4,643 posts, read 2,956,377 times
I was hoping I would find a thread on this. I have just been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea; severe sleep apnea to be exact. Just got my CPAP on Friday, and already had to switch out the mask - but we'll get to that later.

Anyway, while I think what AnonChick posted is very good advice, if you do have Sleep Apnea, none of that is going to help treat the issue, although it does help to do all that stuff to ensure it's not something simple as a vitamin deficiency.

I am one who has regular checkups with the doctor, mainly a cardiologist, on a regular basis - at least two to three times a year. I've had all tests ran on my heart, and besides an issue with elevated cholesterol levels (which are maintained with medicine) my heart is perfectly fine.

I tried the brand name breathe-right stripes - didn't work for me. I still snored. And of course, if Sleep Apnea is in fact the cause of some of the OP's issues, then we're talking about a person ceasing to breathe, several times an hour. The stripes aren't going to fix that.

I have had the fatigue, even when I thought I slept well throughout the night. I've had decrease in libido (which is not good when you're in your honeymoon year) depression, inability to concentrate, mood changes, etc... the weight gain has just come on in the recent year - much of which I contributed to the planning of a wedding, but then again 30+ pounds in a year is quite a bit of weight in a short amount of time. I'm not a guy who over indulges in food on a regular basis. There are some days I have to work just to consume as close to 2000 calories as possible.

Anyway, so, my sleep study revealed that I stopped breathing over 40 times per hour. If I think I sleep about six hours a night, that's over 240 times per night that I quit breathing completely. That many episodes of Apnea affects everything; my heart, my brain, my emotions, my concentration, my weight, my libido, etc.....everything! So, I was just placed on a CPAP machine on Friday, and had to switch out the nasal mask for a full since I do like to breathe out of my mouth at least part of the night. Last night was the first night of using the full mask, and while I still had a few issues with waking up (Mainly because my mask wasn't adjusted quite right before I went to bed) I feel much more well rested today than I have felt in a long, long time. And, I would still say that my night of sleep wasn't the best last night. Imagine how much better I will feel when I actually sleep throughout the night?

So, while I know there is a cost with doing the sleep study thing, it is worth every penny even if you are not diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. It's basically like this. If Sleep Apnea is left untreated, you are going to die. You'll either die from heart failure or something that was caused by the Apnea, or you may pass because you eventually stopped breathing for the last time. So, I'd do the sleep test and see. I have spoken with several, several people who use a CPAP and swear by the thing. Most all of them have said they dropped blood pressure and weight once they got acclimated to the the machine, so that's what I'm hoping I have to look forward to, but if nothing else, I just want to be able to sleep well throughout the night, and feel great throughout the day.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM

6,033 posts, read 7,272,071 times
I feel you. I feel tired a lot of the time and I get a pretty decent amount of sleep most nights. I don't have a demanding job physically, I'm just sitting in a chair all day, but man...if I sit down on the couch when I get home I'll be out in a few minutes! I've never been able to determine if there's something not right with me, or if being tired is just the way it is. It seems everyone I talk to from college kids to coworkers to relatives with various types of jobs and sleep hours are tired all the time. Exercise does help for me.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,172,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm the same and have been most of my life. Haven't been tested for apnea, but I doubt i have it, I'm not overweight and have never snored. Anyways, for me it's not so much the amount of sleep I had, but getting up before 9 am or so is always incredibly difficult no matter when I went to bed. I'm always physically weak and exhausted in the mornings too, sometimes to the point of nausea and fainting. Had all tests done, nothing's wrong, but dr suggested it might be low sugar in the mornings, as I'm prone to getting sick/dizzy/faint during the day too and I've linked it to eating something sugary a while beforehand and nothing else. i'm pretty sure my blood pressure is low in the morning too. Only thing I find that works for me is to never rush while getting up, I always try to leave myself time to get up slowly and take it easy until I have breakfast and coffee and sit around for a few minutes, afterwards i'm much better. Oh, and it doesn't help that I have IBS which generally acts up in the mornings too! Anyways, sorry, no real advice, just commiserating. Have to say i'm grateful to be a sahm at the moment and NOT looking forward to going back to a full-time job at some point, those mornings when I worked were pure torture...

It's possible you might have DSPS. I was diagnosed with this about a decade ago after a lifetime of feeling very draggy in the mornings, combined with real trouble sleeping at night. Even if I had gotten twelve hours of sleep, getting up before noon was still complete torture.

I did a sleep study with a day-time sleepiness study (so I had to stay there all night and then all day.) Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (DSPS) just means your internal time clock is sent abnormally...the body had certain wake and sleep phases that are different for everyone, but the majority tend to follow society's. People with DSPS are just natural born night owls, with the internal clock flipped to the opposite of the usual. So when I'm not working, I tend to go to bed around 4am and sleep until noon. When I am working, I just tolerate feeling exhausted all of the time, though there are some treatments that are partially effective. DSPS is actually considered one of the more difficult forms of insomnia to treat and can be considered disabling.

For me, the DSPS is only half the issue. I know my sleep/wake cycle and while I do feel better when my body can do its own thing, it doesn't solve all of my fatigue issues (which is why I think something else is going on as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness