U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM

2,142 posts, read 5,593,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is what bothers me about doctors. Why can't they think outside the box just a little? Or actually care about their patients as they claim they do? They seem to want to take the easy way out (statin) instead of taking the time and making an effort to find a different solution for those who have bad side effects with it.

My doctor didn't get overly upset, but his only recommendation, besides exercise and losing weight, was a different statin. I agree with his recommendation but until I'm over this breathing problem I can't do much exercise, and I won't be taking statins again, ever.

If I told a doctor I was going to stop statins as a test to see if the pain would go away and they "went into orbit" the doctor and I would have a conversation that the doctor would not want to have... I am not shy about telling someone off and if his doctor doesn't care enough about him as a patient that they will ignore all the pain and suffering that might be caused by statins then they aren't much of a doctor.

/rant
As I thought I had a happy medium with Crestor,it appears I do not,my wife still o'k.As said before the symptons sneak up on you and now 4/15/13 have had to stop taking Crestor,I am feeling much better today 4/17/13.It will hit you like a sledge hammer.I will not bother doctor at this point,statins and my body do not get along.I am 80 years old now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,756,755 times
Just an update on the subject of statin drugs: my husband went to a new cardiologist a few days ago. The reason he was seeing the doctor was because his primary care doctor recommended it, thinking the swelling and sore muscles could be his heart. Well, yes, it could be. the doctor is going to order an echo on him but doesn't even want to see him again until Sept. Obviously he isn't terribly concerned. What he did do though was take him off Lipitor. He said, though it appears to be the best lowering cholesterol med there is, it also causes swelling and weak muscles. No, he isn't sure that is hubby's problem but he still wants him off all statins for awhile. Thought I would pass that on. We will see how he does in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM

18,898 posts, read 49,774,944 times
My legs got so weak on a statin that I could hardly walk. Went off it and went back to normal.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM

26,549 posts, read 31,028,448 times
Glad I stumbled on this thread and you guys. In my mid 50's started taking a statin drug and my feet have been numb in the evenings ever since (and forgetfulness). I thought I might be Pre-Diabetic but have always had good checkups.

This gives me food for thought. I'd love to hear how everyone does.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Glad I stumbled on this thread and you guys. In my mid 50's started taking a statin drug and my feet have been numb in the evenings ever since (and forgetfulness). I thought I might be Pre-Diabetic but have always had good checkups.

This gives me food for thought. I'd love to hear how everyone does.
I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions or automatically discontinue using them without, at least discussing this with your doctor, but I am also a firm believer that all the drugs we take, over a period of time can do damage. It is a win/loose situation in many cases. This isn't just statins bur a lot of drugs. The ones that help us the most seem to do the most damage for some. All I can say, I hope this helps hubby, so he can get out of a chair easily and walk without looking like the old man he is. In our case, he has been on some type of statins for about 30 years. He had an angioplasty in 1986 and his cholesterol was high: I don't remember the breakdown, but the total was about 220. Even on statin it has never been total much below 200 and his bad is on the high side, not off the chart, but a little high. He has never had a heart attack and unless his ticker is bad right now, since the procedure he has had no problems. He sails through stress tests.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM

18,898 posts, read 49,774,944 times
I got more benefit from losing a lot of weight, fixing my diet and getting more exercise. My numbers are good now and I take no meds for it. I had the same leg pains with Zetia as well.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM

26,549 posts, read 31,028,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions or automatically discontinue using them without, at least discussing this with your doctor, but I am also a firm believer that all the drugs we take, over a period of time can do damage. It is a win/loose situation in many cases. This isn't just statins bur a lot of drugs. The ones that help us the most seem to do the most damage for some. All I can say, I hope this helps hubby, so he can get out of a chair easily and walk without looking like the old man he is. In our case, he has been on some type of statins for about 30 years. He had an angioplasty in 1986 and his cholesterol was high: I don't remember the breakdown, but the total was about 220. Even on statin it has never been total much below 200 and his bad is on the high side, not off the chart, but a little high. He has never had a heart attack and unless his ticker is bad right now, since the procedure he has had no problems. He sails through stress tests.
Your hubby and I have similar stats and even being on the drugs I could stand to be lower. I even have a fairly decent diet. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes so I'll probably stick with the drugs. I had at one time started breaking them in half or taking them every other day.

I also started getting very forgetful which I attributed to getting older until I heard a discussion on TV that this is probably one of the most common problems of a statin drug.

So for now I massage my feet at night, try to exercise and make myself notes so I don't forget.

Now, where did I put those pills ?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Your hubby and I have similar stats and even being on the drugs I could stand to be lower. I even have a fairly decent diet. My family has a history of heart attacks and strokes so I'll probably stick with the drugs. I had at one time started breaking them in half or taking them every other day.

I also started getting very forgetful which I attributed to getting older until I heard a discussion on TV that this is probably one of the most common problems of a statin drug.

So for now I massage my feet at night, try to exercise and make myself notes so I don't forget.

Now, where did I put those pills ?
Man, you do sound like hubby. the bit difference is, his family doesn't have a history of heart disease, or at least his mothers side. His fathers family all did not have a long life expectancy period. They led a very hard and poor lifestyle, thus, until our generation rarely lived past 65. Now, many are living longer. His grandma, on his moms side of the family did die of heart disease, at 70, but again, that was back in the 1940s and she never went to a doctor. All his mothers siblings live to reach about 90, with his mom living to be 97.

Whatever happens I will keep everyone updated.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM

24,030 posts, read 35,225,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Man, you do sound like hubby. the bit difference is, his family doesn't have a history of heart disease, or at least his mothers side. His fathers family all did not have a long life expectancy period. They led a very hard and poor lifestyle, thus, until our generation rarely lived past 65. Now, many are living longer. His grandma, on his moms side of the family did die of heart disease, at 70, but again, that was back in the 1940s and she never went to a doctor. All his mothers siblings live to reach about 90, with his mom living to be 97.

Whatever happens I will keep everyone updated.
Please do.

This reminds me of Mrs. Tek doing research into having enough money until we die, and genealogy.

We thought we had the money thing figured out until she started looking at her family tree. It turns out the men in her family lived a long time. Some into their 90's in the 1700's.

The financial plan changed a bit...

Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,400,069 times
92 Deaths Linked to Cholesterol Lowering Statin Drugs

natural methods of lowering cholesterol are infinitely safer.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness