Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times

Advertisements

I'm back on Crestor and the thing I can't take is the itching!!

Anyone have this reaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I haven't been able to lower my cholesterol with diet--it was the same before the diet as it was after the diet. I also tried oatmeal every day because of a presentation I went to where some people in the audience said it had worked for them. Not for me though.

Statins caused too much pain and I have heard horror stories even from nurses.
I was really scared and have never tried it again.

One time I tried red yeast rice capsules for cholesterol and took Coenzyme Q10 along with it. That actually worked. My cholesterol came out normal and I had no pain either. The main problem is that the red yeast and the Q10 are kind of expensive. Maybe I could take a prescription statin as long as I took the Q10 with it. The red yeast is actually a natural statin and the advantage of taking the prescription statin would be that health insurance covers it. I always tell people on statins to take the Q10--too many sad stories from people who have taken statins alone.

I'm glad I found this discussion as I have let the "a little bit high" cholesterol problem go on for too long.

I know this thread is over a year old but I didn't want to start another one. I'm going through the same as you,diet hasn't done much to lower my cholesterol which total is 265 and triglycerides are just under 400. Dr. says it's hereditary and just put me on 5mg of Crestor and after only 3 days I can't stand it,the dizziness,nausea and major leg and feet aches! There's no way I'm continuing with these and want to try the red yeast rice capsules. Are the ones in the link below the right ones to take and how many mgs should you take a day? Would it be better to take the CoQ10 separately,if so which one and how many mgs? After reading through these posts and others about the nasty side affects from these statins there's no way I'm putting my body through this.

NOW Foods Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 120 Veg Caps - Swanson Health Products

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
I know some people on statins swear by ubiquinol. It's established that statins deplete the coenzyme Q10 (COQ10) which is needed for the myelin protective sheath for nerves.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
I read this thread over a year ago and had my doctor change my prescription to the older statins.

The pain in my feet left and is no longer a problem.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,014,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I read this thread over a year ago and had my doctor change my prescription to the older statins.

The pain in my feet left and is no longer a problem.
Which statin specifically?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I know this thread is over a year old but I didn't want to start another one. I'm going through the same as you,diet hasn't done much to lower my cholesterol which total is 265 and triglycerides are just under 400. Dr. says it's hereditary and just put me on 5mg of Crestor and after only 3 days I can't stand it,the dizziness,nausea and major leg and feet aches! There's no way I'm continuing with these and want to try the red yeast rice capsules. Are the ones in the link below the right ones to take and how many mgs should you take a day? Would it be better to take the CoQ10 separately,if so which one and how many mgs? After reading through these posts and others about the nasty side affects from these statins there's no way I'm putting my body through this.

NOW Foods Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 120 Veg Caps - Swanson Health Products
Although red yeast rice is safer than statins they too have been implicated with some serious adverse events, such as neuropathy.

Statins are tightly linked to muscle disorders, higher mortality, cancer, cataracts, erectile dysfunction, neuropathy, etc. Statins and a Dr. Oz advertised diet pill, garcinia cambogia extract, are also substantially associated with diabetes and this found was to happen even with a low dose of statins over a prolonged period of intake - study the scholarly report by googling or binging "Do Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects Boost Diabetes?" (at supplements-and-health dot com site).

Users of red yeast rice may face a similar risks.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
My doctor took me off statin drugs about 2 months ago. I will be anxious to see how this works. I just hope and pray I can stay off them period.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:28 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
I posted about my problems with Statin's (Lipitor) before it was acceptable to speak out about them. I posted on 3 web sights of my problems while on them and on all 3 sights, I got slammed for daring to speak up about this wonderful drug that was the "wonder drug" of the century! This sight was one of them..

I had to many side effects for me to mention, I could just say I had them all!. Once I figured out what it was that had stole my life and almost left me disabled, I took myself off of them and I swore off statins for good. The turn around of my problems started as soon as I missed that first pill and continued on for several days. People could not believe the change in me, everyone was asking what I was "on"! When I told my doctor I had quit taking them he asked if it was because of side effects and which ones did I have... LOL! He stopped me on the 3rd one.. I told him I would figure out what I could do without drugs to get my cholesterol down.. Short story is I worked out a diet for myself that did get it down low enough to make me and my doctor happy. I told him I do NOT believe in those low numbers that they have sold to the doctors.. When my cholesterol would get below 200, I was to weak to get off the sofa and had no energy. I feel best when mine is 220 to 150 and that is where I would keep it..

Several years ago I had surgery that totally knocked my body out of whack. My thyroid is messed up, my weight is up by a good 50 pounds and my cholesterol is in 300+.. My PCP asked me to try Zetia so I agreed.. Well I did great on it the first 2 months before I had to get off of them. I have tried them several times since but it always goes back to the sharp pains in my legs that almost makes me fall over from the pain. So I've had to scratch Zetia off my drug list.

In fact NOW when I have to fill out one of those new patient things at a doctor or if they ask what allergies I have, I list "STATIN" drugs..

Statins didn't give me amnesia but I know a man that it did happen to. He lost 8 hours and had no idea why! I told him why and he ended up getting off of them because the statins also took a big toll on his health but the amnesia scared the hell out of him.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Glad to hear that you are doing better. Have you checked into taking niacin to improve your cholesterol levels...many people do very good with niacin.

To make a long story short....I believe that Statins put my father in the grave 10-15 years prematurely. He had a very sudden onset of symptoms...that I now know are many times very common with taking Statins.

Here is a website that has hundreds of comments from people who took Statins.....some good, many sound very troubling. I believe the percentage of people who get serious side effects from Statins is a LOT higher than the reported rate:

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...2&name=LIPITOR
I'm checking back into this thread to see if anyone has any more thoughts about causes of increased creatine kinase levels. My doctor would like me to start on statins again (increased cholesterol levels) but I have some concerns about the CK levels. I went off of statins a few years ago (early 2014) and after an initial drop in CK it increased again. Last checked in 2015, so my doctor ordered lab work today. I'm curious to see what today's CK levels are and will be further perplexed if they are still high.
Attached Thumbnails
My Journey With Statins-image.png  

Old 12-30-2016, 05:59 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,941 times
In the last year completed move and new cardiologist and primary care doctor wanted me to take statin even though for past 20 or so years I have been allergic to them.Way back before this was known Lipitor almost had me in a wheelchair.
I said I would try,he prescribed a very low dose,10mg of pravastatin,everything o'k for 2-3 weeks and then down hill,after a month I have stopped,they sneak up on you and then hit you like a hammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness