Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

I was prescribed statins for my high cholesterol. I took it for a number of years.

During this time I acquired peripheral neuroma and the stabbing/electrical/bee sting pains associated with diabetes. There were times when the pains would last a minute or more.

I am not diabetic.

I also found that I hurt all over. This was not new as I had been hurting head to toe for years. One doctor told me I might have a mild case of fibromyalgia even though I am a male. Not unheard of, but unusual I guess.

Mrs. Tek and I did some research and decide to talk to my doctor about it. He blew us off. We finally decided to stop my stain as a test.

The pain stopped. Completely. Within two weeks. As a test we tried a different statin. The pain came back. I stopped. The pain stopped. Pretty obvious.

And I have noticed that my achiness this year has been minimal. That may be a coincidence. I won't know for sure for a year I think.

I've been taking alpha lipoic acid and it seems (maybe) to be helping with the numbness/tenderness associated with the neuroma. Again, I'm withholding judgement for a while.

I just thought others might appreciate knowing what I've discovered.

Now I have to exercise and lose weight so I can lower my cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I was prescribed statins for my high cholesterol. I took it for a number of years.

During this time I acquired peripheral neuroma and the stabbing/electrical/bee sting pains associated with diabetes. There were times when the pains would last a minute or more.

I am not diabetic.

I also found that I hurt all over. This was not new as I had been hurting head to toe for years. One doctor told me I might have a mild case of fibromyalgia even though I am a male. Not unheard of, but unusual I guess.

Mrs. Tek and I did some research and decide to talk to my doctor about it. He blew us off. We finally decided to stop my stain as a test.

The pain stopped. Completely. Within two weeks. As a test we tried a different statin. The pain came back. I stopped. The pain stopped. Pretty obvious.

And I have noticed that my achiness this year has been minimal. That may be a coincidence. I won't know for sure for a year I think.

I've been taking alpha lipoic acid and it seems (maybe) to be helping with the numbness/tenderness associated with the neuroma. Again, I'm withholding judgement for a while.

Eat a lot of almonds and drink almond milk. My husband and I BOTH lowered ours considerably; almonds are known to lower cholesterol, bringing up the good and lowering the bad.

I talked my sister into going off statins and her muscles improved immensely. She has a mild case of MS, and could not even move her leg, but after going off statins she can walk almost normally again. I am trying to talk my husband into stopping his statins, his hormones are lowered a result. I think those things are a curse, personally.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:

I am not diabetic.

Been on statins on and off since 1999. No problems at all except my doctor told me to stop drinking as I was taking a killer dose of 80mg of lipitor and the combo of beer and lipitor were straining my liver.

Also was taking the alpha lipoic acid. Gave me acid indigestion so I stopped taking it. Still take the fish oil and C and E and multivitamin and 81mg aspirin.

How about getting a second cardiologist's opinion?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM

BTW it is peripheral neuropathy, not neuroma. Mrs. Tek had the neuroma and I get them confused.

And I do eat a lot of almonds! We get granola (just granola no berries, flavors, etc) and mix it with yogurt and raw almonds (3 lb bags at Costco). It's an excellent meal and now I know it's good for more than I realized! Thanks!

The alpha lipoic only bothers me if I forget to eat when I take it and It's best if I take it before I ingest food for some reason.

As for another doctor, I've been through 6 or so...

I am felling better now than I have in quite some time. I am just finishing 2 1/2 months of "crud" in my lungs that impacted my breathing and had me coughing up some pretty nasty stuff. Between that and the lack pain in my feet and the all over achiness going away I feel 20 years younger.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I had the same severe joint pain with the two most popular (and most heavily advertised) statins. I've been taking a generic (pravastatin) for the past year -- it's not so effective as the other ones but I havent had any side effects from it either.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:

And now that you're not hurting you'll be able to do that. That's what kills me about statins--so many people get the muscle aches and pains so they can't exercise, which is the single most proven way to hold off heart disease. My mother got to where she couldn't even walk the dog.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
Serrapeptase will reduce your cholesterol as well as give you other benefits.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/enzyme/serrapeptase.pdf

Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Serrapeptase will reduce your cholesterol as well as give you other benefits.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/enzyme/serrapeptase.pdf
Thank you. I will research that. My apologies for the long absence, it's been pretty busy around here.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I've been taking Niacin (timed release) and Polycosanol with Red Yeast Rice and my cholesterol is down considerably. As I understand it, Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin, but it has not caused me any issues. I prefer to take natural supplements when I can.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM

I thought I should update this thread.

Over the last two weeks I have gone through an amazing transformation.

3 years ago I was put on high blood pressure medication and cholesterol medicine. I ended up as a slug, literally. It took all my strength in both arms and both legs just to get out of a chair. This in a man who spent my life strong as a horse and as healthy as one. They changed my blood pressure meds a number of times and it got better, but I still had a tough time getting up and doing anything.

I started feeling better a couple of weeks ago re: the cough I had. It's around, but very mild compared to earlier. The coughing and stopping the cholesterol meds coincided so I didn't realize some of the changes from stopping the meds.

I have more energy than I've had in the last 10 years. Until this last two weeks I had to force myself to do anything. I just didn't care because I had no energy.

We had a realtor over to tell us what to do the get the house ready to sell and one of the things was eliminating brass as much as possible. So I've been pulling down ceiling lights and fans and painting them with a satin nickel finish from Krylon. In the process we decided to replace the chandelier in the dining room and the matching drop in the entryway. As a result I've been up and down a ladder numerous times with multiple lights (heavy!) finding the ones that looked right.

I find myself laying bed before going to sleep thinking of things I have to get done. I haven't done that in years!!

I am back!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness