U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,199,553 times

Advertisements

I have a little cheese every day, a splash of milk in my morning cup of coffee, and - when I have shredded wheat for breakfast, around 1/4 cup of milk in the bowl.

On Mondays, I add another 1/4 cup of shredded parmasan cheese cause that's Mac and Meatball night at Chez Chickie, and I like my meatballs rolled in the stuff.

Once every 4-6 weeks I add a half pint of either gelato or ice cream to the mix.

Once every 2-4 weeks I add a few slices of pizza.

Once every 6-8 weeks I add a single taco lunch plate with rice and refries, and cheese on EVERYTHING (including the rice).

I usually don't combine all these things into the same period of time, but once in awhile, each "hankerin for dairy" coincides with each other one and I'm getting my cheese freak on for two days in a row. THAT is when it affects my moods. The rest of the time, it just makes me gassy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,446,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Sixty percent of adults can't digest milk - USATODAY.com

So, I guess yogurt sales are not so great the world over, and ice cream? Some ethnic groups use a lot of sour cream. I wonder if it is really as prevalent as we think? The article says not digesting dairy is the NORM.
This is only true of homogenized, pasteurized milk. I don't have any problem with raw milk at all.

Did you know that homogenized, pasteurized milk will kill a calf in less than four months? Think about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 AM

487 posts, read 596,138 times
Important note: Yes,you can chose to avoid dairy products however lactose is used in medicines as a filler.
How do you avoid that if you have to take medication?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM

6,735 posts, read 8,121,183 times
Bear in mind they seem to be talking only about cow's milk. I can get away fine with goat's milk, for instance, and there are whole cultures and cuisines based on that, or mare's milk, or what have you.

Key41p, I believe the medical profession is starting to catch up a little on the nutritional issues many people have and can hunt up allergen-free meds for some people. There are almost as many med substitutes these days as there are food substiutes.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Important note: Yes,you can chose to avoid dairy products however lactose is used in medicines as a filler.
How do you avoid that if you have to take medication?
You take this product that's been on the market since 1984: LactAid.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM

487 posts, read 596,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Bear in mind they seem to be talking only about cow's milk. I can get away fine with goat's milk, for instance, and there are whole cultures and cuisines based on that, or mare's milk, or what have you.

Key41p, I believe the medical profession is starting to catch up a little on the nutritional issues many people have and can hunt up allergen-free meds for some people. There are almost as many med substitutes these days as there are food substiutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You take this product that's been on the market since 1984: LactAid.
Every single med I take does not have an alternative to lactose fillers. LactAid does work for some people
however after a while it doesn't. But I do appreciate both of the above trying to help.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Every single med I take does not have an alternative to lactose fillers. LactAid does work for some people
however after a while it doesn't. But I do appreciate both of the above trying to help.
I'm not sure of your meaning - are you saying that none of your meds have lactose-free options? Or.. are you saying that some of your meds do and some don't? As I'm reading it, I'm seeing you say "All of these do not have" and that could mean "some of them do have" or it could be "none of them do have."

If some of your meds do have lactose-free options, then you can greatly reduce your need for lactaid by choosing the lactose-free options. Also, the amount of lactose in a typical pill of 1000 mgs or less, isn't enough to cause any upset at all, in someone who is lactose intolerant. The amount of lactose in 5 typical but different pills, each of them over 10mg and under 1000 mg, isn't enough to cause upset in someone who is lactose intolerant.

If that miniscule amount of lactose is causing problems for you, then you should get allergy tested. You might not be lactose intolerant at all; but rather, you might be allergic to dairy. These are two different things that often get confused for each other.

I have an allergy to certain enzymes in milk, so I often just tell people I'm lactose intolerant, because it's easier than trying to explain. For me, too much dairy causes severe mood swings and even hostility. It's not common, but it's not rare either. A guy I knew was allergic to milk as a kid and was breastfed, and as a result, he ended up with multiple personality disorder and a host of other mental problems. I don't know of anyone else, personally, with a milk allergy but I know that there are people who have it.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM

3,137 posts, read 4,492,140 times
At nearly 40 years of age...I'm not aware of a single family member, friend, or acquaintance that is lactose intolerant.

Go figure.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,827,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
At nearly 40 years of age...I'm not aware of a single family member, friend, or acquaintance that is lactose intolerant.

Go figure.
I was just going to post the very same thing.

I also know a few, and the number is rising, people who are alergic to something new about every week. They tend to have a good health care plan, like to take off from work, and enjoy reading magazines while waiting to see the Dr.

I think yrs ago people probably had alergies like we do now, but they didn't feel the need to let everyone and their dog know about it. Is it the more people we know through internets, smart phones, emails, etc......the more attention they need?

If people had to actually pay at the counter(and not have their premiums paid by employer), I think the less wait you would have if you actually HAD to go to the Dr. If ya know what I mean.

Ok, let me step down.
But if your alergic to something, I bet the Dr. will tell you to stop eating/drinking that which makes ya ill. Crazy thought, i know.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 AM

15,341 posts, read 14,557,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I was just going to post the very same thing.

I also know a few, and the number is rising, people who are alergic to something new about every week. They tend to have a good health care plan, like to take off from work, and enjoy reading magazines while waiting to see the Dr.

I think yrs ago people probably had alergies like we do now, but they didn't feel the need to let everyone and their dog know about it. Is it the more people we know through internets, smart phones, emails, etc......the more attention they need?

If people had to actually pay at the counter(and not have their premiums paid by employer), I think the less wait you would have if you actually HAD to go to the Dr. If ya know what I mean.

Ok, let me step down.
But if your alergic to something, I bet the Dr. will tell you to stop eating/drinking that which makes ya ill. Crazy thought, i know.
People tend to become lactose intolerant as they age. Ask those same people when they're in their 60s and 70s and you'll find lactose intolerance.

People today DO have more allergies than before. They're not making it up. I think it's probably due to the junk a lot of people eat that somehow messes up the digestive tract. Little kids eating fast food instead of real food cooked from scratch at home like it used to be. Kids and adults drinking soda which isn't good for anybody, caff. or caffeine free. Artificial everything in foods. It's bound to cause trouble because that isn't how our bodies were meant to consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness