U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM

6,923 posts, read 8,787,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You take this product that's been on the market since 1984: LactAid.
But that only helps with lactose intolerance. If you're allergic, that's a different story.

I wonder how many people out there who depend on a daily dose of Prilosec, or Imodium, or Tagamet, to get through would feel great again if they just tried life without dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,835,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But that only helps with lactose intolerance. If you're allergic, that's a different story.

I wonder how many people out there who depend on a daily dose of Prilosec, or Imodium, or Tagamet, to get through would feel great again if they just tried life without dairy.
Yeah. I just ignored my diet until things got so bad that I went to Atkins and he tested me.

I think (not sure here) if you have an allergic reaction it tends to happen immediately and strongly, so one readily associates the food with the reaction. Sensitivities, though, can have delayed reactions and build slowly and get worse as time goes on. It's so insidious and the symptoms are sometimes diverse, so you cannot pin down what the problem is.

Regular Md's can detect allergies, but sensitivities are sometimes evasive. I went to a person who was an Md and Holistic. I wanted a person who straddled that fence who was most likely to know how to attack it. Prior to that, due to my varied symptoms, I went to a whole bunch of traditional doctors in various specialties. Each one found some theoretical cause that his specialty addressed and some wanted to operate, but none could guarantee that my symptoms would end if I followed their advice.

They were well meaning and sincerely wanted to help, I am sure, but could have done more damage to me if I followed their advice. That I HAD to ask them if their solution would cause my symptoms to abate was telling. They were GUESSING and presented their solutions to me in language that did not imply it was a mere guess.

No matter how busy your doctor may be, always ask questions. It's your body.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM

13,677 posts, read 22,635,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't recollect any mention of bacterial contamination in dairy, but that seems to be what you're addressing. The issue is that most adults in the world do not handle milk well in their diets. Even the one's without allergies probably are not digesting properly enough to get nourishment out of it.
Most people.

Have some sources (like research studies from reputable universities)?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 AM

17,643 posts, read 16,841,041 times
Sixty percent of adults can't digest milk - USATODAY.com

"It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people."

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/cons.../ucm094550.htm

"The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) estimates that 30 to 50 million Americans are lactose intolerant."

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-30-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,835,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
People who blame added cow hormones in milk for young female human development are reacting emotionally to political spin by the conspiracy theorists. The only thing bovine hormone does, is make a cow produce more milk. It does nothing to humans. It doesn't even make lactating human females produce more milk.

The point that mrs. cool made, was that the people who insist the milk they buy in cartons on the supermarket shelf has antibiotics in it, are, for the most part, wrong. Some milk, at the farmer's side of the process, DOES have antibiotics in it. And since the milk is tested daily farmer-side, AND tested randomly processor-side, it is unlikely that the antibiotic-tainted milk will ever get as far as the supermarket - because any milk that tests positive for antibiotics is required, by law, to be dumped.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,520,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Cows aren't usually given antibiotics because they're sick or contaminated. They're fed the drugs as a matter of course whether they're sick or not, because it makes them grow bigger faster. The more meat on the cow, the more money they get for selling the finished animal.
it is illegal to feed supplements with antibiotics in it to dairy cows. That's what we're discussing here Cliffie, dairy cows, not meat animals.
And, AnonChick, thank you for repeating what I said, apparently in a manner that made it clearer for some readers here.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM

10,531 posts, read 4,624,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
We just have to know our own bodies.
Agreed.

I grew up drinking milk regularly, it was my "go-to" beverage of choice when thirsty.
As an adult, I drink a cup of it a day.

I also eat yogurt & ice cream, though not cheese bc. I don't like it
(special exception is made for cheesecake, which contains cream cheese-but other than that, I cannot stand the smell & flavor of cheese).

On occasion, the dairy has upset my stomach, but that's rare-I can go weeks or months w/o that happening, consuming dairy all the while.
So long as I have a serving a dairy once a day, my tolerance for it seems to remain/function.

Of course, I wouldn't presume to instruct anyone else in the care & feeding of their bodies, I only know how my own body operates.
My heritage is at least 50% northern European, so perhaps that has some influence on my ability to digest lactose.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM

19,745 posts, read 36,134,439 times
I'm watching my cat, who every morning (and sometimes in the evening) begs for milk. Actually, all of our (adult - in the case of the one mentioned first, she's 12 years old and the others are her age - same litter - or close to it) cats love milk. So do the dogs, if they can get some.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM

13,677 posts, read 22,635,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm watching my cat, who every morning (and sometimes in the evening) begs for milk. Actually, all of our (adult - in the case of the one mentioned first, she's 12 years old and the others are her age - same litter - or close to it) cats love milk. So do the dogs, if they can get some.

My old beagle liked to chase the cats off the milk pan on a nightly basis ... often to get a face full of claws. The goats would also go after the cow's milk - pan and udder.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,704,847 times
I have milk with breakfast cereal 5 days a week, sometimes more, and use milk in coffee.

I like cheese but dont eat it much because the cheese I like is somewhat expensive, so more of a special purchase. I do use sour cream for things like mashed potatos, salad dressings, etc.

Use butter a lot too, for sauces, bread butter and jelly, sauteeing, etc.

So far, havnt notice anything adverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness