Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,822,608 times

Advertisements

Texashorselady I too have always felt people focus on others diets or even just in general so they don't have to focus on themselves. I think the world would be a happier and healthier place if people focused on what they needed to do. What may be right for one person is not for another.
I am not sure what percent of people have an intolerance to dairy but even if one does not have an intolerance it may just not agree. I have some foods that my stomach gets upset with and though I am not allergic or intolerant I try to not have them. I do feel sometimes with certain food groups like dairy people hear others talking negative about it and seem to want to do the same.
I remember when I saw a dietician she stated some types of dairy are easier to digest such as yogurt or cottage cheese rather then milk. There are a lot of alternatives these days but what I don't get is back in the day there was not and people seemed to have a lot of dairy in their diet yet I did not hear all these intolerance complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Texashorselady I too have always felt people focus on others diets or even just in general so they don't have to focus on themselves. I think the world would be a happier and healthier place if people focused on what they needed to do. What may be right for one person is not for another.
I am not sure what percent of people have an intolerance to dairy but even if one does not have an intolerance it may just not agree. I have some foods that my stomach gets upset with and though I am not allergic or intolerant I try to not have them. I do feel sometimes with certain food groups like dairy people hear others talking negative about it and seem to want to do the same.
I remember when I saw a dietician she stated some types of dairy are easier to digest such as yogurt or cottage cheese rather then milk. There are a lot of alternatives these days but what I don't get is back in the day there was not and people seemed to have a lot of dairy in their diet yet I did not hear all these intolerance complaints.
There weren't a lot of lactose intolerance complaints because lactose intolerance hadn't been identified as a problem, then. The complains - the symptoms - existed. But people just chalked it up to a troubled stomach, with no particular cause. Back in the day, people used to smoke in hospitals. Eventually though, someone came out and said "hm...all these people are coughing - and they're not in the hospital for respiratory problems. I wonder why this is?" and came to the conclusion that hey - wow - must be all those smokers! And told them they couldn't smoke in the hospitals anymore. And voila - amazing miracle of miracles - people stopped hacking in the hallways of hospitals unless they were in there for respiratory problems in the first place.

Well that's basically how it happened with the discovery of lactose intolerance. It was always there. It just hadn't been identified as such.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

568 posts, read 961,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That is a very ill informed post. Do you, or those close to you receive any remuneration from the dairy industry, by any chance?

Why would anyone 'like' to see people purchasing any particular product at the grocery store?

Perhaps you could write to these illustrious institutions and inform them of your intelligent discovery, that there is no such thing as lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance - MayoClinic.com
Lactose Intolerance Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Tests
Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lactose Intolerance - National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse

Why do you expose yourself by making such far fetched comments?
I was being sarcastic...that is all I can say...otherwise G_R_A_V_E consequences.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,961,971 times
Quote:
I was born on a farm and fed LOTS of milk as a child. I always had a problem with it, but the medical profession was not as advanced then as it is today.

My mother, in a letter to family back in Nebraska, happened to mention my problem, and it turns out that my uncle had such a problem, as well, suffering his entire life and only finding later what the cause was.

Yeah, there is a vast majority of the world's population who react badly to dairy, then there is a group who can partake but not digest it well enough to get any nourishment from it, and then there are those who do digest it properly.

It is dumb, if you have the enzyme as an adult, to totally avoid dairy products, but if you are like me, having disparate symptoms that seem to be all over the place and various doctors are recommending various solutions - meaning they are guessing, I would recommend that you find someone who can test for food sensitivities. For me, it was a complementary/holistic physician. You may have a problem with your favorite food. At the time I was ingesting a lot of skimmed milk, thinking it was the healthiest drink for me. For other people the problem may be wheat products. Or peanuts, or soy.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM

486 posts, read 862,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I have milk with breakfast cereal 5 days a week, sometimes more, and use milk in coffee.

I like cheese but dont eat it much because the cheese I like is somewhat expensive, so more of a special purchase. I do use sour cream for things like mashed potatos, salad dressings, etc.

Use butter a lot too, for sauces, bread butter and jelly, sauteeing, etc.

So far, havnt notice anything adverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I eat organic yogurt and no problem digesting it or any dairy. I'm not a big dairy person, but skim milk, too, once in a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mmmmmmmm ... cheese ... I eat entirely too much of it. It's like crack to me.

I also eat plain Greek yogurt 3 to 4 times a week for breakfast.

But oddly enough, I can't stand milk or standard yogurt. Just a taste preference; it has nothing to do with digestion.
Is it really necessary to question the posts who are saying they are allergic to dairy products since you
don't have that problem. Would you also question someones allergy to peanuts or shell fish knowing that
it makes them sick? So thank you goldengrain.

Quote:
Good for you. There is nothing wrong with dairy if you have the enzymes to handle it. A whole lot of people do not. You should consider yourself lucky. I can tell by your post how proud you must be.
Quote:
That is a very ill informed post. Do you, or those close to you receive any remuneration from the dairy industry, by any chance?

Why would anyone 'like' to see people purchasing any particular product at the grocery store?

Perhaps you could write to these illustrious institutions and inform them of your intelligent discovery, that there is no such thing as lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance - MayoClinic.com
Lactose Intolerance Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Tests
Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lactose Intolerance - National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse

Why do you expose yourself by making such far fetched comments?
Quote:
Some of the responses on this post really are silly. The post was about dairy indigestion in adults
not cats which would have its own forum and category - pets.
Dairy is dairy = lactose. Again 60% of the world has a reaction or lacks the enzyme. Back in the day
the dairy industry was pushing milk products....remember when formula was a better alternative to
breast milk? Now we have cheese, cheese, cheese, in everything too. ''OH MO, LARRY, THE CHEESE,
THE CHEESE!"

Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,961,971 times
Thank you, Key.

Some industries pay lobbyists to prejudice our government and pay large bucks for advertising and also ensure that forums such as these are patrolled by people who will attack anything that they perceive may hurt their product. There is no care that some people may be hurt by their product.

I think soy products (another substance that some people are allergic to) are making good inroads as a dairy substitute and the industry feels it must fight back. It does not realize that chances are the majority of these soy drinkers have digestive problems with milk and even if soy were banned for some reason, they would not/could not be dairy customers.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,253,372 times
When the food nannies scare us all into avoiding dairy products, I hope that someone is finding someway to add more calcium into our diets in order to promote bone health.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When the food nannies scare us all into avoiding dairy products, I hope that someone is finding someway to add more calcium into our diets in order to promote bone health.
Well of course that would be "Big Suppla" - the very wealthy, highly resourceful, no-scientific-proof-necessary supplement industry. Granted, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why a person would need to take supplements - but there's a WHOLE lot of money to be made, for them to declare mundane, ordinary foods that we've been consuming since Paleo became extinct, unhealthy and unnatural. For every food type they declare unhealthy and unnatural, there are at least 3 new types of supplements they can push on the unsuspecting masses.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM

486 posts, read 862,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You have no reason to be afraid or stop dairy since you have no side effects from
it. You are such a fortunate person.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,041,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There weren't a lot of lactose intolerance complaints because lactose intolerance hadn't been identified as a problem, then. The complains - the symptoms - existed. But people just chalked it up to a troubled stomach, with no particular cause. Back in the day, people used to smoke in hospitals. Eventually though, someone came out and said "hm...all these people are coughing - and they're not in the hospital for respiratory problems. I wonder why this is?" and came to the conclusion that hey - wow - must be all those smokers! And told them they couldn't smoke in the hospitals anymore. And voila - amazing miracle of miracles - people stopped hacking in the hallways of hospitals unless they were in there for respiratory problems in the first place.

Well that's basically how it happened with the discovery of lactose intolerance. It was always there. It just hadn't been identified as such.
This is correct. The recent large increase of diagnosed Celiac Disease and Celiac awareness among the general public follows that same path....Celiac has been around for years....however it is only within the last few years that doctors have become more aware of Celiac and have finally began ordering the specific blood test for Celiac that is required for diagnosis. I had all the symptoms for many years - none of my doctors ever caught it....a gastro nurse looked at my medican history and said "I'll bet you have Celiac - we'll test you for it." She was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness