Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,321 times

Advertisements

After several years of limping and hip pain, I was finally diagnosed as having Trendelenburg Gait. It has to do with weakness the hip abductors...if you know the term, then you'll know what it is.

My doctor suggested using a rolling walker and I'll do that soon. For years I've noticed how much easier it is to walk with a grocery cart than with a cane.

After we left the doctor's office I started thinking of questions, so until I can get back to him, I'm coming to the good folks at City-Data for advice. If there's someone who's actually dealing with this and has some good ideas about what kind of walker, how to use it, thoughts about therapy...or even things I haven't thought of yet - I'll really appreciate your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Just general advice about walkers. The person who will use it has to go try them out. They come in different heights and not all are adjustable. Some had seats so high my feet didn't touch the floor. Get one with a seat so you can rest when necessary. The ones rated for up to 250 Lbs were cheaper than the ones rated for up to 350 Lbs, by about $100. There are several styles, with and without baskets which can be in front or under the seat. I got the kind that folds pretty flat as it is easier for me to put in the car. They also come in a few colors but not sure if that is by manufacturer or what.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
I have weak abductors also and was told I was walking with a Trandelenburg gait last summer. I was going to physical therapy at the time. My abductors were so weak that I was given e-stim therapy, just to give them a kick to get going. Have you tried that? I highly recommend it. It gives the muscles a zap at a level that will not be painful for you. Once the muscles were awakened by that I was given an exercise to do, which was to lie on the floor and with the other leg bent, slide the leg out to the side as far as it will go, 20 times each leg. I still do this every day. I find that now I am more able to move my legs that way on their own without my having to put them where they need to go with my arm! So definitely try those things.

I'm not sure why someone would recommend a walker to you right away, unless you are swaying to the sides a lot and you have a big risk of falling. But I'm not a doctor.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,735 times
Based on your description, I would suggest a regular rolling walker. Make sure you stand up straight and keep your elbows bent at around 30 degrees while using it. In the mean time, I would suggest doing some hip abductor exercise 2-4 times a week. Simple Hip Hiking exercises will do (just google how to do it). DO NOT over do it and exert yourself at first. Just do maybe 10 times with 2 sets at first and build up to it. After a few weeks and you feel like you're improving, keep adding more! Just go as tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness