U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,958,378 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what kind of soap do you use for dry skin. I have read that goat milk soap and shea butter soap are both good for people with dry skin and/or eczema but I don't know which one to try.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,221,406 times
If you have dry skin quit using soap.
I haven't used soap in the shower for 50 years, except when I am grimy from working in the yard.

Your diet has a lot to do with dry skin.
Are you getting enough Omega 3 oils? Those little gelatin capsules are Not enough.
Buy a quart of Flax Oil and take a tablespoonful 2X a day.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM

18,901 posts, read 49,817,188 times
Cetaphil is a very gentle and non-drying soap. They also make a good non-greasy moisturizer. My dermatologist recommended it years ago. I even use the bar soap on my hair-leaves it silky.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,160,370 times
Eat well, make sure you're drinking enough water, and not drinking too much caffeinated liquids. By that I mean...

Protein, vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, and then - a little starch. The protein, veggies, and nuts can all have a bit of fat in them or with them (such as oil and lemon juice for dressing, or a bit of cheese on your chicken, or a bit of butter to sautee your mushrooms for your sirloin steak, etc. etc.) Raw fruits better than cooked or canned or frozen.

Water - obey your thirst, which should be at least half a litre of water, and as much as two litres of water, in addition to any other liquids you might drink that day.

Caffeine: one, two, even three cups of coffee isn't too bad. When you're at half a pot, you're starting to veer into diuretic territory.

Washing - don't use hot water. Use warm, teetering on tepid. Hot water can contribute to dry skin. Use a mild, unscented or naturally scented soap. A clear glycerine soap, with sandalwood essential oil, will be less drying than some others. Kiss My Face is another good one - a friend of mine with dry skin swears by the liquid version, but she isn't fond of the bar. Dr. Bronner's mild baby soap is decent, but the peppermint left a faint residue that I didn't really like. Also, use a washcloth and scrub your skin with it. That'll get rid of the dead particles and stimulate growth without scraping your skin raw.

Finally, get yourself a bottle of pure jojoba oil. Transfer it to an empty, clean bottle that comes with a lotion pump (I don't know of any jojoba oil that comes in one of those). For every 4 ounces of jojoba, add 5 drops of essential oil of sandalwood. Squirt a quarter-sized bit of oil into your palm after every shower, before you towel off, rub your palms together briskly and rub them all over your skin, neck to feet. Jojoba oil is the closest thing nature has to sebum (the stuff on the skin that people call "oil" but isn't really), so it absorbs well. Sandalwood is excellent for dry skin, and if you're up for experimenting, you can add a couple drops of lavender, or rose oil - but they have to be real essential oils - not "scented" oils, and they have to be 100% essential oils - not just oil that has rose in it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM

15,731 posts, read 17,703,732 times
I use St. Ives Oatmeal and shea butter or dove body wash. I also use baby oil after the shower, I apply it to my wet skin on my legs, arms, buttocks, feet and hands and then I pat myself dry. Works well. Do not use the baby oil gel because it does not absorb like the oil and leaves you greasy.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,589,463 times
My Derm Dr told me to use plain "Dove"

Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 AM

11,928 posts, read 26,993,927 times
Olay Quench body wash.

No bar soap.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,160,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Olay Quench body wash.

No bar soap.
Most body wash is nothing more than liquified soap with added chemicals.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,958,378 times
Thanks for everyones posts and suggestions. You have all been very helpful.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 AM

750 posts, read 1,228,984 times
I recommend avoiding soap except for the parts that get extra dirty (ie your torso, arms and legs don't usually need soap).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness