U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM

487 posts, read 597,301 times

Advertisements

I had a post on another site regarding buying food from China. The post
was becoming very informative but was closed because it went off the
original topic being food, So, in order to continue the discussion
I'm listing it here under health concerns which would include food,
medications, and hazardous ingredients and chemicals in things
we buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM

18,917 posts, read 49,934,544 times
After the great cat/dog poisoning scandal a few years ago, I refuse to buy certain medical things that have ingredients from China, most specifically protein powder. I had a cat that died from the melamine they adulterated the whey they sold us and 2 others who got sick. They put it in their own baby formula and killed some babies plus sickened many others. Google to see all the news about it.

I will be using protein powder for the rest of my life (gastric bypass) and I do care about whey source. There is one company (online) that guarantees no Chinese product in any of their products. I can't know about many foods I buy in the grocery, but where I can, I buy those that guarantee no Chinese ingredients.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM

487 posts, read 597,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
After the great cat/dog poisoning scandal a few years ago, I refuse to buy certain medical things that have ingredients from China, most specifically protein powder. I had a cat that died from the melamine they adulterated the whey they sold us and 2 others who got sick. They put it in their own baby formula and killed some babies plus sickened many others. Google to see all the news about it.

I will be using protein powder for the rest of my life (gastric bypass) and I do care about whey source. There is one company (online) that guarantees no Chinese product in any of their products. I can't know about many foods I buy in the grocery, but where I can, I buy those that guarantee no Chinese ingredients.
On the other thread, I posted the awful melamine poisoning -at least 300,000 children got ill. If they
are doing this to their children what else is going on? I also am very concerned about medications.
Many generics are made in China as well as India. What is frightening is that pharmacutical companies
here can contract companies abroad like China (spoke about that too).
I check almost every label on what I buy but it's impossible to check where my meds are from & every
ingredient in them.

Are people also checking cookware or anything that they are eating off of?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

18,917 posts, read 49,934,544 times
I liked the Buy America series on ABC's World News Tonight. If you stick to local and/or American, you are as safe as can be. I only buy seafood or fish that is USA, Canadian, or Mexican or wild-caught.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM

4,845 posts, read 8,765,029 times
This is a great topic. I, too, am concerned about the food safety of imported foods--including, but not limited to China. Personally, I read labels very carefully these days and make every effort to buy locally grown/harvested products--including fish, poultry and pork.

I've noticed many food, health/beauty and medicinal items in the Dollar Stores come from overseas and I'm avoiding them due to health concerns--even if they are a super-duper good buy. My health is precious and I want to protect it. Knowing what I put into my body makes a lot of sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness