U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,345,891 times

Advertisements

I sometimes get a sensation in my urinary area that is warm/tight as if I have to urinate even though I don't. The sensation is also in my lower stomach a little. It doesn't last very long but it's annoying.

All I know is that it has to do with nerves, and drinking cranberry juice might help. Is there a name for it? Do women also have it?

I often drive 7up with a small amount of vodka at night. Lately this has been triggering the sensation. But I've had other times when it happened for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM

4,685 posts, read 5,835,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I sometimes get a sensation in my urinary area that is warm/tight as if I have to urinate even though I don't. The sensation is also in my lower stomach a little. It doesn't last very long but it's annoying.

All I know is that it has to do with nerves, and drinking cranberry juice might help. Is there a name for it? Do women also have it?

I often drive 7up with a small amount of vodka at night. Lately this has been triggering the sensation. But I've had other times when it happened for no reason.
I'm assuming you're a man based on your user name. How old are you and have you been checked for BPH (an enlarged prostate)?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

19,636 posts, read 53,495,108 times
In women it's a urinary tract infection (UTI). Men can get them but less frequently.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM

38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
Poster is a man as his question about "do women get it" tells the tale.

OP it's generally a prostrate that is starting to enlarge and squeezing other things around it. Need to have a doctor check it out.

You can also google 'prostrate problems and urination'.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,345,891 times
I am a man, over 45.

Could the problem be caused by dehydration? I have a lot of weird quirks and I don't drink as much liquid as most people.

Last night I drank some plain water first, and then my 7up and vodka, and I felt okay. Maybe that was it....

Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Drinks with caffeine in it will make you want to go more. At 45 I'd have my prostrate checked. It doesn't hurt and if you do it annually, as doctors recommend, then you'll have a record to see how rapidly or how much it's increased each year. If a problem is starting to evolve it's safer and cheaper to correct it in the early stages than paying the price having it removed later on.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Drinks with caffeine in it will make you want to go more. At 45 I'd have my prostrate checked. It doesn't hurt and if you do it annually, as doctors recommend, then you'll have a record to see how rapidly or how much it's increased each year. If a problem is starting to evolve it's safer and cheaper to correct it in the early stages than paying the price having it removed later on.
You are confusing prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The OP, in all likelihood, has the beginning stages of BPH. There is no proven way to correct it in the early stages. For advanced BPH, there is a procedure (TURP) that removes part of the prostate. Wikipedia has a good writeup on BPH. I have been living with it since around age 50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_...ic_hyperplasia

http://men.webmd.com/prostate-enlarg...topic-overview

http://www.medicinenet.com/benign_pr...ia/article.htm

Last edited by villageidiot1; 03-27-2013 at 12:22 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 AM

From: How to Improve Prostate Health: 7 steps - wikiHow >>>Make sure you do not ignore prostate problems. If an enlarged prostate is not corrected, it can lead to more serious problems including urinary tract infections, kidney and bladder stones and other problems with your kidneys and bladder.

I'm just the messenger.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 AM

523 posts, read 3,280,457 times
the probability is that your symptoms are due to one of 3 things: urinary tract infection (more common in women, but possible in men too), benign prostatic hypertrophy (smooth, regular enlargement of the prostate gland), or overactive bladder - carbonated drinks (e.g. 7up) can make this worse.

in any event, if your symptoms have been going on for a while, or are not resolving, you should get yourself along to a doctor for some fairly simple investigations to elucidate the cause, and start treatment - which may be something as simple as a course of antibiotics.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
From: How to Improve Prostate Health: 7 steps - wikiHow >>>Make sure you do not ignore prostate problems. If an enlarged prostate is not corrected, it can lead to more serious problems including urinary tract infections, kidney and bladder stones and other problems with your kidneys and bladder.

I'm just the messenger.
The information on this site is OK but it appears the purpose of this site is to steer people to the Prostate Pills Reviewed website. If your click on the FTC Disclosure on the bottom of the Prostate Pills Reviewed website it says, "we want you as a visitor to understand that in some instances we get paid a commission to endorse products or services on this site." You will also not finding any medical journal research backing up any of their claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
the probability is that your symptoms are due to one of 3 things: urinary tract infection (more common in women, but possible in men too), benign prostatic hypertrophy (smooth, regular enlargement of the prostate gland), or overactive bladder - carbonated drinks (e.g. 7up) can make this worse.

in any event, if your symptoms have been going on for a while, or are not resolving, you should get yourself along to a doctor for some fairly simple investigations to elucidate the cause, and start treatment - which may be something as simple as a course of antibiotics.
The incidence of true urinary tract infection (UTI) in adult males younger than 50 years is low (approximately 5-8 per year per 10,000) according to Medscape and UTI can be related to BPH. The OP did not mention anything about frequent urination so it does not appear to be an overactive bladder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness