U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,172,217 times

Advertisements

I had my first ever case of either food poisoning or a stomach virus this past week. It started with vomiting on Saturday...I was actually out of town attending a convention and missed the entire second day because I couldn't leave the hotel bathroom. By Sunday the vomiting had stopped, but I still felt very shaky and weak. I didn't really attempt eating until Monday, and that was only half a banana (so I basically went three days without eating and minimum liquids.)

Today I've been able to eat and drink mostly normal, and overall I don't feel nearly as wrecked. However, I have a very disconcerting feeling in the middle of my chest. It isn't quite pain, but it isn't comfortable either. Any activity like moving from a sitting position to standing causes my heart to race for a few minutes. I'm also randomly coughing off and on.

I've actually somehow avoided ever having food poisoning/a stomach bug up until now, at least that I can remember. I'm not sure if these symptoms could be attributed to just being weakened overall or if I should see the doctor. I was hoping those with more experience with these conditions could describe the symptoms they felt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM

13,263 posts, read 32,112,055 times
You should defintely go to the doctor. If you call their office for an appointment and tell them why you want to see the doctor (strange sensation in chest and racing heartbeat) they might send you to the emergency room.

I get the racing heartbeat when I stand suddenly, on very rare occasions. Usually when I'm hungry. But I experience severe blood sugar dips when I'm hungry, and not everyone has that problem. So I know to expect it, and I know it's normal and not dangerous for me. What you're experiencing might be the same thing, but caused by something completely different. And because you don't know what's causing it, you need to treat it as something "significant."

Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 AM

5,749 posts, read 9,480,455 times
Food poisoning can cause heart palpitations, so that is probably what it is. They can also be caused by anxiety, so lie down, relax and go into zen mode. If you're still bothered, then go to the doctor.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM

18,895 posts, read 49,748,977 times
You are probably still dehydrated so drink a lot of Gatoraide for the electrolytes. Like a quart today.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM

13,263 posts, read 32,112,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You are probably still dehydrated so drink a lot of Gatoraide for the electrolytes. Like a quart today.
If you can't stand the taste of electrolyte drinks (they nauseate me), you can rehydrate yourself efficiently this way:

You need:
2 1-litre bottles of water
2 snack-sized packs of potato chips, salted pretzels, or salted tortilla chips.
1 ripe banana

1. Drink 1/2 of one of the bottles of water, with half a banana. Try to do this within a half hour's time.
Then:
2. Crack open a snack-sized pack of potato chips and enjoy it, washing it down with the other half bottle of water.
3. An hour later, start on the second bottle of water, with the other half of the banana.
4. Finish the water an hour after that by washing down the second snack-sized pack of chips.

This will replenish your sodium and potassium levels (which drop when you vomit and are dehydrated), and will help you rehydrate at a modest pace (so you don't end up wanting to puke all the water you just guzzled down).

You can repeat this process the next day too, and feel free to also have some water in addition to the above, if you're just thirsty and want something to drink.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 18,534 times
While searching for food poisoning symptoms I stopped in this forum. The information on this forum is very helpful. Thanks to all. [mod] need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations, read TOS [/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-30-2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 AM

16,487 posts, read 19,085,560 times
Dehydration can cause a racing heart and I would guess after throwing up all day and not eating or drinking much for a few days, that this could be the reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness