Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times

Advertisements

I just recently came down with a cold. A friend just swore to me that if you fill your ears with hydrogen peroxide when you feel a cold coming on, but before full onset of symptoms, you won't get sick. Has anyone heard of this? And if you have, would you say this really is effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,302,176 times
http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/13/hydrogen_peroxide.htm (broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 PM

163 posts, read 907,195 times
Default Holy cow, this may actually work!

I've read about this on a handful of alternative medicine websites, so when I started feeling the symptoms of a cold come on, I decided to give it a shot.

On Sunday evening I started feeling a sore throat. All the websites say you are supposed to use the peroxide as soon as you feel cold symptoms, but I waited until Monday night. Even then, it seems to have helped, since I am pretty much over the cold already, and the symptoms never really got that bad. I generally get a cold two or three times a year, and every time, it follows a very predictable pattern of symptoms, intensity, and duration. But this time was different. Usually my colds last about 10 days, but this one lasted 4.

Here's what you do:

1) Lay down on your side, and put 3 drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in your ear. You'll hear it fizzling and crackling. Lay there for ten minutes, then switch sides and do the other ear.

2) Put about 1/3 a cup of the peroxide in a glass with 1/3 cup of water. The exact amount doesn't really matter, just use 1/2 water and 1/2 peroxide. Gargle with this solution. I did this twice a day, morning and evening.

I found that the gargle was an almost instant cure for the sore throat. I worked so well I couldn't believe it. After the sore throat went away, for the next couple days I had the usual sneezing and runny nose, but nothing as bad as my usual cold. Thursday morning I woke up and felt fine, so the cold lasted less than 4 days.

Now it's totally possible that the peroxide had absolutely nothing to do with my quick recovery...but I figured I'd share the experience here. Maybe it was just a quick cold, but I swear it seemed to make the sore throat go away almost instantly. Maybe it was just a big coincidence?

I'd be really interested to see what other peoples experience with this are. We're all bound to get a cold or two this Winter, so why not give it a shot, and post your findings back here?

FYI...be sure you are using the standard 3% Hydrogen Peroxide that you get at the grocery store or drug store. It also comes in stronger strengths, but they can be harmful if not properly diluted...so use the 3% stuff! It's perfectly safe to do this, as peroxide is medically approved as a mouthwash and ear wax cleaner.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,302,176 times
This is also good for removing ear wax. That is what the doctor did to me. I get a build up of wax and then can't hear well. He used warm water. He may have used less peroxide in the water and then he kept pouring it into my ear with my head held up, and then soon the plug popped out.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,204,499 times
This is so interesting. I have heard about it in passing but never really thought much more about it. I am going to give it a try when my next cold comes around. I also have a problem with wax build up sometimes so I'll try that right away. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,931,353 times
H202 in the ears works like a charm for me, especailly for wax removal. On a daily basis, I also use Bill Munros inhalation method as described in
this video. I do however use food grade H202 and dilute it down to 3% rather than the drugstore/supermarket variety. If you DO use 35% food grade, make sure you know what you are doing.

Here's another website for further information regarding Bill Munros method for using H202.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times
Peroxide practically CURES painful ear infections within a matter of 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes u need to leave the peroxide in your ear for that long for the infection to get cleared out. It does help to get rid of ear wax too. The ear wax bubbles out and u just wipe it off with tissue.

I sometimes use a tiny bit of peroxide in my nose as a rinse. That really helps a lot with allergies and any bacterial infection I might have. It works almost instantly too! Very helpful!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM

163 posts, read 907,195 times
Hi Franco,

I also read about Bill Munros inhalation method, but have been a little hesitant to try it, as I've read that inhaling H2O2 is bad for you and can damage lung tissue.

If you don't mind me asking, how is this working out for you, has it given you any problems or irritation? How long have you been doing this for, and has it helped improve your health? Just curious to get details on another persons experience with it, other than Bill.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,931,353 times
hey bigdummy

I've been using it everday for at least 2 months. My sinuses have improved tremendously and I can take a deep breathe with greater ease. Not so much as a sniffle related to getting a cold. Very gradually, it appears that I am regaining even more of my lost hearing ability. ( I had a noticable improvement with my hearing when I had shamanic healing sessions last summer ). Since I'm using H202 several times daily, I have a feeling that I won't be getting a cold this winter. I will have to wait and see.

The only thing I didn't like about Bill Munros method is using the drug store variety instead of food grade H202. For internal use, I strongly prefer using diluted food grade H202. My local health food store carries 12% food grade, which I further dilute down to 3%. If you buy food grade H202 at a concentration of greater than 3%, be sure to dilute it properly.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM

36,333 posts, read 15,934,958 times
Ok I just put some h2o2 drops in my ears. I have fluid build up that has been diagnosed as recurrent ear infections for the past couple of years. This year, (which has been extremely stressful), I had about 4. Then an ENT told me my ears were fine, that my body was so over sensitized from stress that it was affecting my ears. My Dr said they were not normal and there was definitely fluid behind the drum. My ears get "full" and it affects my hearing and it's soooo annoying and it affects everything, I hate it. I don't know what to do. Where is the fluid coming from? Sorry this is off-topic. The dr put me on Allegra but I can't take it, it makes me too hyper.

Sorry, sorry!! Off-topic!! Years ago I took h2o2 food grade, drinking it for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, didn't know it was good for colds.

Thanks, TAS Oh Oh I don't have any wax in my ears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness