U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,250,906 times

Advertisements

I have suspected this for a while now, but I saw a program on TV that this is rather common as you age. For me, food simply has less taste than it used to, and as I understand it, there is nothing you can do about it. At first I thought it was my sense of smell, but now I realize that's not it. I can smell fine. Its the taste buds that are dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM

15,500 posts, read 17,355,675 times
Well my mom has lost her taste and smell for many years due to severe sinus problems and sinus surgery she had 15 years ago. Some days she can taste and smell and other times no and on those days she does not desire to eat much. I heard smoking can cause this but I cannot confirm that.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM

11,387 posts, read 12,913,533 times
I'm getting on, and my taste buds still work very well...too well sometimes. I think people who smoke a lot might be the first to lose the sense of taste..not sure though....

Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 PM

43,012 posts, read 82,548,790 times
I've had sinus problems most of my life so that means I've never been able to smell well. It doesn't stop me from eating. I've never been a big eater though. Food is just something I do to live and if I can find something I enjoy in the process that's a bonus but not my goal. Maybe my lifelong diminished sense of smell has contributed to how I view food as a mere necessity.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM

64,425 posts, read 71,664,478 times
I can remember my dad telling me, his taste buds were not a strong as when he was younger, especially for things like garlic and other spieces. At the time he was in his early 80s. Now, I am approaching the same age (not quite that old) I have noticed the same thing...I use twice as much spice (except salt) that I used years ago. Not only spices, but other foods, butter is another one...Believe me, I still taste enough to eat almost anything put in front of me and I enjoy it; my weight shows it, but I do know, there is truth to this.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM

9,015 posts, read 12,164,166 times
Does anyone know if general anesthesia has an effect on losing one's sense of taste and smell? I had a hip replacement last June (without general anesthesia) and remember having lost my sense of taste but it came back slowly. Then just 3 weeks ago I had a 2nd hip replacement (this time with general anesthesia) and the sense of taste is "off" again. Maybe even smell, because my favorite scent turns my stomach now. Even ice cream tastes odd. And that is a bad condition to have Everything tastes blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness