Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

My grandson is almost 8 mo old
He has had loose stools, gassy fart stains, and flat out diarrhea for the past 2-3 weeks off and on...

Partly because he was given an antibiotic he didn't need by a nurse-practitioner at his doctor's office
partly because he is teething
partly because he caught stomach flu at day care (small church sponsored nursery with only 2 other infants in his room--but still exposed)

I suggested lactinex granules to put some bacteria back into his gut but her doctor's nurse said they didn't want to "introduce strange bacteria" into his system...
problem is he has no bacteria in there now

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
How about yogurt? My daughter had really bad diarrhea at 6 months and the pediatrican we were seeing then wouldn't see her that day, told us to take her to the children's ER instead. The ER doctor was from the Middle East, he said that in his country, they gave the babies yogurt when they were getting over stomach troubles, and he recommended that. We tried it and it seemed to help a lot, so much that even now, when my kids have an upset stomach, they switch to eating yogurt and applesauce until they feel better.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
I used Maxi Baby-Dophilus (I believe it is made by Country Life brand) right around the age of your grandson, because my son and I both ended up with thrush. There were no side effects from its use, and I continued it for months. If your little guy received antibiotics, then you are completely correct that his gut, and hence his immune system, is compromised, and there is certainly no harm in using the probiotics at all. Most docs just simply do not know!

If he does like yogurt, of course he can have some of that too. I hope he is completely healthy soon.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM

17,386 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I'm moving this to the health forum because this thread deals, specifically, with a health concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness