U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM

3,065 posts, read 4,810,041 times

Advertisements

STOP!!!

Does your ear whistle when you pinch your nose and blow?

I had this condition from Feb. thru March. I woke up one morning and felt like my ear was full of water but wouldn't drain. Hearing was impaired in that ear, also.

You DON'T have a ruptured ear drum. If you did it would be really painful.

What you have is called 'Eustachian tube dysfunction'. Google it and read all of the stories that other people have shared about this condition.
http://oghalailab.stanford.edu/eust_tub.html

I tried mucinex for a couple of weeks, sudafed, claritin, and even antibiotics and Nasonex.

It's been over two months and the symptoms eventually cleared up, but I still have some congestion in my ear canal.

If you can see a doctor they can look in your ear but they didn't see anything in mine. All they can see is that the eardrum isn't ruptured or showing signs of infection or inflammation. She prescribed a battery of drugs in hopes that something would work. I don't know if any of them helped or if it just slowly cleared up over time.

I was even afraid to shower because I didn't want to get water in my ear, but that's just fear and isn't really an issue because the ear drum prevents water from getting in. Any water from showering will drain out like normal.

You can try plugging your ear with your finger and yawning/swallowing. This creates a pressure differential and allows air to pass thru the eustacian tube. It's not a cure but might give you temporary relief.

My suggestion is to get some OTC sudafed and take the max dosage that is recommended on the package. That seemed to help me somewhat.

It's going to be really annoying for several weeks, but you just have to be patient, it will subside, eventually.

Edit--
Try not to blow your nose too much. This will not help you heal at all. If you get a nasal spray like Nasonex you are supposed to blow your nose briefly to help force the medicine into the eustacian tube. Lying on your back and tilting your head back and to the side will help the medicine drip into your ear and not down your throat.

Last edited by Charles22; 04-02-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,253,547 times
It does help to plug my ear and yawn, thanks! Breathing heavily helps too.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Would the pain and fever have developed at the onset of the discomfort or does it develop later, cus I am only on day two. It's subsided a bit from yesterday but it's still here and I only get relief when I breathe heavily. It's annoying but not painful, or at least I don't know if the annoyance is the pain itself and it's just on a scale of pain of 1 out of ten.

All I know is that when I chew or clench my teeth or yawn I get this crackling sound and feeling in my ear. The ear feels full or water with the sensation that something will drain but never does. When I am walking outside the ear feels better but when I am inside sitting down I sense it more. My hearing has not been impaired dramatically, only barely but not enough for me to consider it impaired really. I mean how muffled does it have to be? If I cover up my right ear and leave the infected one open I can still hear just fine.

All in all, it's just a weird discomfort and sensation of water in my ear that will not leave, the feeling that it will drain out but never does and a crackling pop when I chew or breathe heavily.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM

5,161 posts, read 6,838,900 times
Not to sound short, but just go to the doctor if you're that worried about it. No one here, doctor or not, can look in your ear. The doctor will have to look in your ear to answer the exact questions you have. We have told you what we would do, but in the end it's up to you.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM

I understand that I am being repetitive but I just wanted to know the symptoms between ear infection and ruptured ear drum. I wanted to know if I was going to pay for a hospital bill or some drops.

If there is no harsh pain or fever then it is not an infection, right? Is it a searing pain or an annoying discomfort like "pain"?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM

9,490 posts, read 17,092,542 times
I had a small hole in my eardrum once, I don't recall that it hurt - I went to the ENT because it kept draining yellowish fluid - that's what it turned out to be. Antibiotic eardrops (and maybe a cream? can't remember if it was that time or not) and it cleared up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness