Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

This is tricky when it comes to blaming the office.

I do all the calling for my husband. For most things ....including medical...all I have to do is provide information that many people might know.
Most ask to speak to him just to say "Yes, you can talk to my wife" but again, all he is asked for for confirmation that it is him, is the same info.....birthdate and zip code....nothing very secret.So it could be just me, if good ay changing voice...could be anybody else in the room....it could be me that said I was him to begin with!

I called our ISP yesterday and also had to provide a security code I had established....not something anybody else would know.
There is something wrong here when an ISP has more security than the medical offices we deal with.

Not tricky when it comes to blaming the mother though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Did you ask your mom what her reason was for calling the therapy office to begin with? Is she concerned for you or did something recently happen where she felt you were not safe?
You stated your mom is not happy you are in therapy and did you ask her why?

Since trust in therapy is very important I encourage you to talk to the receptionist and therapist. Say how you feel to them about the situation. Also to your mom.

This is different since your mom pretended to be you but I think with mental health issues that if a family member is concerned for your mental and physical safety then the professional can call a loved one. I know when my mom had some mental problems and her psychs office was concerned for her safety they called me.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
The receptionist was completely out of line. I can't think of any legit reason to give diagnosis information over the phone, and the receptionist should have been suspicious of someone claiming to be a patient and asking for something like that.
I would strongly encourage you to speak with the office manager or your therapist directly about this concern, and as soon as possible. The protocol they have in place obviously is not working.
So sorry to read this, I can't imagine how upsetting it must be.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
first of all, what did your mom say when you confronted her? Obviously if you know what she did, you have talked to her about this. Secondly I am a little confused, we have dealt with a lot of doctors especially in the past 5 years and only once has anything even close to this happened..it wasn't the receptionist either, it was both a doctor and a nurse that left private information on our answering machine and hubby was a new patient. needless to say, we changed doctors immediately.. I can't imagine a receptionist even having access to your file. Of course, some doctors that know patients well will allow information to be given out, even to family members, but this doesn't sound like the case. Something isn't right, you don't want to get someone in trouble, but you owe it to the doctor, to other patients and yourself to find out just what happened and yes, the receptionist might even lose her job. If it happened exactly the way you say, she should be reprimanded.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
You would think the receptionist would have noticed something weird pretty soon. I mean why would you need to know information about yourself? You would obviously know your own medical history. Why did your mom feel the need to violate your privacy? You're over 18. She definitely crossed the line and the doctor's office needs to reevaluate their privacy policy for sure.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
If your mother does something like this now, I'd hate to see what happens if you get married then have children. Calls to their school, THEIR doctors, it could go on and on. You need to sit Mama down and have it out. Of course she sounds like the type that will start crying and use the "you don't love me! I'm just wanting to take care of you" routine. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
These are serious issues with your doctor's office which should be addressed. But what they heck is up with your mother? Of course I would be pissed about the doctor's office, but your mother had no business doing what she did. I would have a huge issue with mom. She has crossed the line. Why do you think she did this?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
How old are you? Are you an only child?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
This kind thing is not appropriate, but it does happen, particularly in small offices and communities. This is not an excuse, simply an explanation.

It would probably be best to work with your therapist's office to resolve this situation. I like Litlove71's suggestion of a compromise via. a free session. Later on, you may feel that it would be appropriate to take legal action, or to file a complaint against the therapist's licensure board. Keep in mind, however, that your therapist (or any other therapist in that practice) will probably never see you again for therapy if you take formal action against him/her. If word gets out that you sued your therapist and/or filed a complaint, it may be difficult to find another therapist in your area who is willing to work with you. Compromise is often the best route in cases such as this.

If I were in the shoes of that therapist, I would re-visit the agency's privacy policy about disclosing information over the phone. I would also talk with an private attorney and the District Attorney about the possibility of civil or criminal action against the mother (e.g. for criminal impersonation.) I do think the mother shares much of the blame in this case. Granted, this may also damage the therapeutic relationship.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Under Obamacare, now every person under 25, is under their parents health insurance, so perhaps a mother should have a right to know what her daughter is taking and why. Especially if that daughter is living with her and mom is paying the bills.
I would want to know.
This story doesn't make sense to me. I think the op must have misunderstood something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness