U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM

47 posts, read 73,975 times

Advertisements

I just got out of the hospital after suffering a few mini strokes. I was released after 3 days and doctors are still confused. I have mini stroke or seizure? as my dx.

They released with with aspirin and a pat on the back.

First day my arm went linp and I went to call for help my mouth would not move and my speech was slurred, it only lasted a minute.

2nd day, I went to yell at my dog for stealing food and my left leg went limp and again my speech slurred. later that day I went to bathroom, got up and leg went limp and I cralwed to hallway asking for help and my I was unable to say a name. The person who saw me said my face was up an angle on one side.

I went to ER and as soon as I got to the door I was unable to walk... very weak. CT scan I felt the left side of my body clench up, slurred speech.

They ran all kinds of tests and found nothing except a hole in my heart, yet said it was too small to cause a stroke.

It's odd because a week before my jaw ans neck were so stiff and in pain they said it was TMJ, then I have these weird episodes.

I have no instructions to see a cardio, just a follow up with my pcp and the neuro in 2 weeks because I have thick blood and they are waiting for results on the numbers.

Does this seem slightly negligent that they didn't do more to find the exact cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM

18,792 posts, read 49,226,360 times
Is the hole in your heart diagnosed as a PFO (patent foramen ovale) or something else?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Yes a PFO. They said it was small and probably not big enough to cause a clot even though a few bubbles slipped through on the tests they ran. They never did a cartoid ultrasound on my neck which I thought was odd.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 PM

18,792 posts, read 49,226,360 times
PFOs were always repaired in my experience when working in a hospital. I am not a physician. I would ask for a cardiologist referral and take the records or have them sent.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM

13,263 posts, read 31,740,993 times
Well to be fair, you went to the ER. ER isn't intended to do wide-scale research into a problem. It's to give a quick fix and make recommendations for non-ER care, or process the patient to an inpatient status elsewhere in the hospital, if appropriate.

The emergency room isn't a place to get an exact cause of illness other than "gunshot wound to the head" or "lacerations to the spine," etc. It's surprising though, that they didn't admit you. Did they try to and you rejected it? Or did they not even suggest it?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM

40,433 posts, read 44,430,320 times
She wasn't in the ER. She was in for 3 days. And she had an echo.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM

13,263 posts, read 31,740,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
She wasn't in the ER. She was in for 3 days. And she had an echo.
Ah that was confusing. I saw that she said she was released after 3 days, and on the 2nd day she was yelling at her dog. So I assumed she meant that she experienced 3 days of problems, and didn't go to the ER til the 3rd day - at which point she had the tests and was released, as an outpatient.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM

64,425 posts, read 71,664,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well to be fair, you went to the ER. ER isn't intended to do wide-scale research into a problem. It's to give a quick fix and make recommendations for non-ER care, or process the patient to an inpatient status elsewhere in the hospital, if appropriate.

The emergency room isn't a place to get an exact cause of illness other than "gunshot wound to the head" or "lacerations to the spine," etc. It's surprising though, that they didn't admit you. Did they try to and you rejected it? Or did they not even suggest it?
I believe though, if I understand the OP, she/he ended up spending 3 days in the hospital. At that time I would think there were enough tests taken to determine what if any further follow up is needed. Normally, if nothing else a patient is reminded to follow up with their primary care doctor and go from there. OP, I think it goes without saying you should contact your primary care doctor. I know mini strokes, which I am assuming were TSIs can be a nothing serious, but are indicators of what might happen in the future.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I believe though, if I understand the OP, she/he ended up spending 3 days in the hospital. At that time I would think there were enough tests taken to determine what if any further follow up is needed. Normally, if nothing else a patient is reminded to follow up with their primary care doctor and go from there. OP, I think it goes without saying you should contact your primary care doctor. I know mini strokes, which I am assuming were TSIs can be a nothing serious, but are indicators of what might happen in the future.

Exactly, I am fearful of doing anything right now. I would like to know the cause. I still wake up in the morning and weak on the left side, mostly the leg. I am also very tired.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM

5,039 posts, read 3,865,062 times
Having seen my dad go through mini-strokes and major ones, neither of them is anything to ignore. A dr. told me that a cat scan will not show up as a stroke until 2 weeks after the event; mri's give an accurate picture of any damage to the brain. The fact you are still experiencing weakness and fatigue are common signs of a stroke. Get another opinion if you aren't confident of the treatment you are getting. I think everyone inherently knows when something is wrong with their own body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness