U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM

903 posts, read 1,657,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
There's a whole industry working to make people believe you need every exam that exists every month. If you put all statistics together, you come to the conclusion there isn't a single healthy individual in any country in the world. Their bank accounts say thank you.
I SO agree with that, some are NOT really as needed as they want us to believe. Even a couple of doctors that I told I refused to get mammograms told me to then just practice self-exam, one elaborated on his own misgivings about the repeat radiation doing more harm than good (one of my reasons not to do it) so, need I say more...?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM

7,288 posts, read 9,466,179 times
I went to Kaiser the other day and when I was asked about mammogram by the doctor I said I don't get them and there was not even a question as to "why." I think they are starting to become educated about "why" some people think it is better NOT to get them.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 AM

903 posts, read 1,657,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I went to Kaiser the other day and when I was asked about mammogram by the doctor I said I don't get them and there was not even a question as to "why." I think they are starting to become educated about "why" some people think it is better NOT to get them.

Was about darn time too! I've observed for years how the medical community will rarely admit they've made a mistake with any of their recommendations, they usually either try to "wean" people from it or grow very quiet about it. Did you notice how a few years ago they said it was not necessary for most women to get mammograms regularly and insurance companies began not paying for them? It was their way of saying "it's really not all that good...".

Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,562,751 times
My SIL just went for her first in mid-December, age 40. And it caught breast cancer - she is now undergoing radiation and treatment. I'm very grateful that she decided to get it done.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,210,896 times
My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer found during her yearly mammogram, she had a double mastectomy. She had two types of cancer one was very aggressive, she would not have survived if it was not found when it was. She was 42 at the time. A painful round of chemo and radiation she has now been cancer free for 14 years. So yes I get my mammogram every year I have dense breast and often also have an ultrasound. I do not find them pleasant but not all that painful either.
I know mammograms can't detect all cancers but it's a whole lot better than doing nothing and there absolutely no proof a mammogram causes cancer but there are lives including my sister's they have saved.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,989,923 times
www.aicr.org/ is a common sense web site w/ good and practical research for prevention. American Institute Cancer Research.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM

90 posts, read 212,179 times
I started having mammograms when I was 37. They're not that bad. There's a few seconds of squishing each breast, but it's not painful. Dense breast tissue just makes the mammogram harder to read, and the older you get, the less dense the tissue. Go in, get it done and over with.
I lost my mother to breast cancer because she didn't go to the doctor.
If you won't take care of your body for yourself, do it for those who love you!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM

11,387 posts, read 12,922,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Cancelling a mammogram is the same as me cancelling a PSA test. I ain't gonna do it since I wanna live as long as i can not be an idiot and avoid testing that can help me live longer.

Some people!
Big diff between a PSA test and getting your breasts painfully squeezed while being radiated...I think when they start squeezing a mans balls to where the pain is excruciating and then radiating them as a diagnostic test for testicular cancer...we could believe in it. My sister has one ,regular...she has had three biopsies because of this test...each one negative for cancer, and very disfiguring as well...Mammograms promote cancer far as I'm concerned....Shock study: Mammograms a medical hoax, over one million American women maimed by unnecessary 'treatment' for cancer they never had

Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM

13,263 posts, read 31,757,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Big diff between a PSA test and getting your breasts painfully squeezed while being radiated...I think when they start squeezing a mans balls to where the pain is excruciating and then radiating them as a diagnostic test for testicular cancer...we could believe in it. My sister has one ,regular...she has had three biopsies because of this test...each one negative for cancer, and very disfiguring as well...Mammograms promote cancer far as I'm concerned....Shock study: Mammograms a medical hoax, over one million American women maimed by unnecessary 'treatment' for cancer they never had
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Natural News is only a reliable source if you are a card-carrying member of the Mercola Fan Club and have tin foil hats in every color of the rainbow.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 PM

19,081 posts, read 19,654,578 times
I found a lump in my breast last year and got my first mammogram following the finding (after I saw my doc who felt it as well). Very scary and the mammogram sucked. I got a biopsy that day and the lump was tagged, but not removed. It's some sort of fibroid, which increases risk of cancer, so I just intend to keep my eye on it and get it checked every couple of years. I need to find a better way than the traditional mammogram, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness