U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 PM

14,838 posts, read 11,692,552 times

Advertisements

Any specific brands recommended for shoes? I usually just buy a pair of Nike's or some similar brand for about $50 once a year. The once I'm wearing now are a year-and-a-half old now, so they are pretty worn out. I'm willing to spend more on good quality shoes, but I don't want to get ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 AM

4,541 posts, read 8,969,791 times
It really is a personal preference. That's why going in to a running store or the like, having them evaluate your run and then trying on a variety of shoes is the way to go.

What one person may like another won't. I wear Nike and it runs me just over $100 if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, to get a good quality real running shoe you will need to spend more than $50. Especially if you are running a lot.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM

3,959 posts, read 5,046,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Hello,

I recently started jogging/running on a treadmill at the gym to mitigate a minor medical issue. That's been resolved, but I've found that I really enjoy it. I hated running in high school, but maybe it was because I was forced to do it while now I'm doing it on my own accord. Anyway, I would like to keep at it since I've been feeling much better physically. My only concern is the effect it could have on my joints. I read a few articles that suggest studies don't show a correlation with running and joint problems, but it's still a concern of mine. Logically the benefits outweigh the potential negatives, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
Running really only affects your knees if you have some type of prior injury. If you look around, the majority of people getting knee replacements are not runners but people who are overweight.

Running tends to cause other injuries like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, iliotibial band, and tendonitis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
One thing that will help protect your joints is getting a quality running shoe and replacing at least once a year (some of my friends replace theirs every 6 months). I would suggest going to a good shoe store (I love New Balance) where they actually examine your foot (size, pronation, pressure points, etc.) and recommend the best shoe. They may be pricey (my last pair of walking shoes was $130 and my wife running shoes were $120), but you're body will thank you in the long run.
The most important things about running shoes are buying shoes for the right type of pronation. A $200 shoe is much worse than a $70 shoe if it is not the right type of shoe for your pronation. This is a good starting point. Running Shoes & Gear | Runner's World

If you are running regularly, you will need to replace your shoes more often than once a year. Most experts recommend no more than 400 miles on a pair of shoes. If you are heavier or run on hard surfaces, you might need to replace them sooner. I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS and although I like the shoes, they tend to wear out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
what about running on the treadmill compared to doing it outside on a running track? What I learned is not to overdue it and to keep a good jogging speed. I had to tell myself that I was jogging not running. For 40 minutes there is no reason to be doing it at the speed of 8 mph, so I stick with my average speed which is 6.8.
6.8 MPH isn't bad and I would not consider it jogging. That is an 8:49 Min/Mile pace. I would consider jogging to be a pace slower than about 10:30 Min/Mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
is there certain foods you eat to make the bones stronger, any advice
The consensus seems to be that most people need extra vitamin D, which helps with bone health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Any specific brands recommended for shoes? I usually just buy a pair of Nike's or some similar brand for about $50 once a year. The once I'm wearing now are a year-and-a-half old now, so they are pretty worn out. I'm willing to spend more on good quality shoes, but I don't want to get ripped off.
Unless you are finding discontinued models online, you are not buying running shoes. Just because the brand is Nike, New Balance, Adidas, etc. doesn't mean it is a running shoe. These companies all make cheap sneakers.

I have been running consistently for about 19 years. I have run in virtually every brand of shoe and have not seen a big difference between brands.

When I started running you could buy a good pair of running shoes for $60. It seems like they go up in price about $5/year. It is now difficult to find many shoes for $90 or less. Many shoes are at least $110. I haven't found much difference between the less expensive shoes and the more expensive ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
It really is a personal preference. That's why going in to a running store or the like, having them evaluate your run and then trying on a variety of shoes is the way to go.

What one person may like another won't. I wear Nike and it runs me just over $100 if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, to get a good quality real running shoe you will need to spend more than $50. Especially if you are running a lot.
Good point about going to a a running shoe store. A good store will actually have you run either outside or on a treadmill and analyze your pronation. They don't do this at stores like Dick's, Foot Locker or Finish Line.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM

3,809 posts, read 9,523,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Running really only affects your knees if you have some type of prior injury. If you look around, the majority of people getting knee replacements are not runners but people who are overweight.

Running tends to cause other injuries like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, iliotibial band, and tendonitis.

The most important things about running shoes are buying shoes for the right type of pronation. A $200 shoe is much worse than a $70 shoe if it is not the right type of shoe for your pronation. This is a good starting point. Running Shoes & Gear | Runner's World

If you are running regularly, you will need to replace your shoes more often than once a year. Most experts recommend no more than 400 miles on a pair of shoes. If you are heavier or run on hard surfaces, you might need to replace them sooner. I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS and although I like the shoes, they tend to wear out quickly.

6.8 MPH isn't bad and I would not consider it jogging. That is an 8:49 Min/Mile pace. I would consider jogging to be a pace slower than about 10:30 Min/Mile.

The consensus seems to be that most people need extra vitamin D, which helps with bone health.

Unless you are finding discontinued models online, you are not buying running shoes. Just because the brand is Nike, New Balance, Adidas, etc. doesn't mean it is a running shoe. These companies all make cheap sneakers.

I have been running consistently for about 19 years. I have run in virtually every brand of shoe and have not seen a big difference between brands.

When I started running you could buy a good pair of running shoes for $60. It seems like they go up in price about $5/year. It is now difficult to find many shoes for $90 or less. Many shoes are at least $110. I haven't found much difference between the less expensive shoes and the more expensive ones.

Good point about going to a a running shoe store. A good store will actually have you run either outside or on a treadmill and analyze your pronation. They don't do this at stores like Dick's, Foot Locker or Finish Line.
This post covers it all

Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,776 times
Running and jogging according to the energy level and stamina is simply beneficial for the muscles and joints. If you go on running beyond the capabilities, this would cause breakage in the cells and tissues of muscles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness