U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM

302 posts, read 302,091 times

Advertisements

She had her "procedures" this morning, and her colon and upper GI were clean as a whistle. I wasn't able to go with her because I was watching her 3 year old daughter, so I didn't get to talk to the doctor myself, but my husband who took her said he took a couple of samples to biopsy but he couldn't remember what for and she was still woozy and couldn't remember either.

She is 29 years old and a married mother, so I can assure you is isn't Munchausen's by proxy as she does not live with me and I am not a psycho. I know she isn't ingesting anything on her own to cause it, but I will check into environmental factors because who knows what could be in these apartment buildings. The area has a history of asbestos issues. She has not traveled anywhere.

This latest doctor has promised to figure out what's wrong (never heard THAT one before.) I am also going to check further into celiac disease, although they may have already tested her for it. I know that a lot of times doctors will go for the easiest diagnosis and if that's not what it is they throw up their hands and send you on your way.

nmnita- I hope they can figure out what is ailing your husband. It sucks to sit by and watch someone you love suffer and not be able to help. Hopefully soon they will both get some answers and the appropriate treatments.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM

43,012 posts, read 82,587,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Only if you think the mother is somehow creating all of these symptoms in her daughter.

How old is she?
She has had a hysterectomy. Munchhausen by proxy isn't always a parent. It might not even be Munchhausen by proxy. It could be inheritance related or that type of thing. Poisoning doesn't necessarily mean it's on purpose. Poisoning can be accidental.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

10,576 posts, read 9,372,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She has had a hysterectomy. Munchhausen by proxy isn't always a parent. It might not even be Munchhausen by proxy. It could be inheritance related or that type of thing. Poisoning doesn't necessarily mean it's on purpose. Poisoning can be accidental.
I understand that. Years ago I thought that this child was a bit odd and sickly...I peered into the kids room and there he was standing in his crib peeling lead paint chips off the wall and eating them like they were snack food.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
She is 29 years old and a married mother, so I can assure you is isn't Munchausen's by proxy as she does not live with me and I am not a psycho. I know she isn't ingesting anything on her own to cause it, but I will check into environmental factors because who knows what could be in these apartment buildings. The area has a history of asbestos issues. She has not traveled anywhere.
The only way to know for sure is if doctors run tests for poisoning. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I read hair falling out, rapid heartbeat, and everything else. It's the kind of thing I'd rather have tested sooner than later.

Does she have anxiety issues? Trichotillomania is anxiety based. Do you literally see her hair coming out in clumps before your eyes? Is it just thinning? Or does she just have unexplained bald spots? Panic attacks can cause rapid heart beat. Overall anxiety does a job on the digestive system and causes stomach pain. Just throwing anxiety out there as another possibility.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I understand that.
I was clarifying your initial post for Spazkat.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM

743 posts, read 1,211,594 times
I was also thinking something psychological (stress, anxiety) if she has had an extensive workup that has been negative. By the way, why has she had a hysterectomy? Also wonder about infectious causes (recent travel out of the country?).

How much weight has she lost over the last few months?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM

302 posts, read 302,091 times
She does have some psychological issues which are under control and have been for years. One of them is anxiety. When she brushes her hair, she typically loses a pretty good handful. She has lost about 30 pounds over the past few months, mainly from daily walking after knee surgery, but she has been starting to gain a little lately even with the vomiting and diarrhea. She has pins in her knee, and we thought that she may be having some sort of allergic reaction to them, but the doctor says that's not possible.

She had a hysterectomy because she had severe endometriosis, which was causing adhesions throughout her abdomen. We aren't ruling out that there may be some remaining somewhere. I wonder about the poisoning though, because she eats the same things her husband and daughter do and they are fine. Maybe something in her apartment she is sensitive to and they are not?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM

40,449 posts, read 44,450,516 times
Once a lady came to us...she was clearly bipolar in a manic crisis. She kept going on about how her boyfriend was poisoning her with arsenic. We hospitalized her.

Her arsenic test came back positive.

Time to delve deeper.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I was also thinking something psychological (stress, anxiety) if she has had an extensive workup that has been negative.
The description of the stools can be caused by going through the digestive system quickly. That's something that typically happens with stress and anxiety. Having a 3 year old is stressful. My sister spent a significant portion of my niece's first few years of childhood in bed. Feeling sick was her body's way of dealing with stress. She just shut down. As my niece got older, my sister felt much better because it was much less stressful. I have a friend who had trichotillomania. She knew she was doing it, but I've read that many people don't realize they are the cause of their hair loss.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I wonder about the poisoning though, because she eats the same things her husband and daughter do and they are fine.
I wouldn't rule it out until the doctors rule it out via testing.

Quote:
Maybe something in her apartment she is sensitive to and they are not?
It could be allergies, you never know. Weirder things have happened due to allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness