Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM

741 posts, read 1,282,199 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
Well, my face is just dang oily and I'm at the end of my rope. I have tried about all combination of OTC treatments, such as washing twice a day with a gentle cleanser, patting dry, using various astringents, using sunscreen outside (of course), blot blot blot, oil free makeup, keep my hair out of my face, change the pillow case and so on.

Now my regular doctor has put me on a $50 a tube treatment of Perscription anti-biotic facial cream to treat all the little bumpy pimples on my forehead and chin, but I really wonder if the acne is caused by all this oil practically leaking off me. I just washed my face two hours ago and it already looks like I've run a mile, as if a sheen of sweat is already on my face, and it's just oil!

Is it time to just ask for a dermatologist, or am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times
Since this is a specific skin issue, I would see your dermatologist. My daughter and I go to one regularly. Even if you don't have skin problems, its still smart to get an annual skin check up for moles, etc from a dermatologist. It can't hurt right?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,986,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hi Guys,
Well, my face is just dang oily and I'm at the end of my rope. I have tried about all combination of OTC treatments, such as washing twice a day with a gentle cleanser, patting dry, using various astringents, using sunscreen outside (of course), blot blot blot, oil free makeup, keep my hair out of my face, change the pillow case and so on.

Now my regular doctor has put me on a $50 a tube treatment of Perscription anti-biotic facial cream to treat all the little bumpy pimples on my forehead and chin, but I really wonder if the acne is caused by all this oil practically leaking off me. I just washed my face two hours ago and it already looks like I've run a mile, as if a sheen of sweat is already on my face, and it's just oil!

Is it time to just ask for a dermatologist, or am I missing something here?
I think you are washing your face too much. When you frequently strip the natural oils, your skin overcompensates by producting more oil. You need to stop the cycle. Wash your face in the morning (in the shower) with a mild cleanser (I use my bodywash) and be sure to moisturize- I really like Cetaphil. Take off your make up at night with one of those disposable, pre-moisted cloths, and then use a warm (not hot) wet washcloth. Follow up by using the moisturizer. Again- I HIGHLY recommend Cetaphil. It will take your skin about a week to regulate... depending on when your "cycle" is. It will probably get worse before it gets better, but you've got to be patient. I'd say after following that routine for about a month (and not cheating) and you still don't see any improvement, then you should see a dermatologist.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM

741 posts, read 1,282,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I think you are washing your face too much. When you frequently strip the natural oils, your skin overcompensates by producting more oil. You need to stop the cycle. Wash your face in the morning (in the shower) with a mild cleanser (I use my bodywash) and be sure to moisturize- I really like Cetaphil. Take off your make up at night with one of those disposable, pre-moisted cloths, and then use a warm (not hot) wet washcloth. Follow up by using the moisturizer. Again- I HIGHLY recommend Cetaphil. It will take your skin about a week to regulate... depending on when your "cycle" is. It will probably get worse before it gets better, but you've got to be patient. I'd say after following that routine for about a month (and not cheating) and you still don't see any improvement, then you should see a dermatologist.

Thanks for the idea, is Cetaphil itself a soap or a moisterizer?
Also, some of those premoisted cloths seem to have mineral oil on them, is that bad? Or have you found one without an oil base?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the idea, is Cetaphil itself a soap or a moisterizer?
Also, some of those premoisted cloths seem to have mineral oil on them, is that bad? Or have you found one without an oil base?
Cetaphil has a whole line of products: Bar soap, liquid cleanser, and moisturizers. You can find it at any Walmart, Target, Walgreen's, etc. It is fragrance-free, dye-free, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
They are little oily because most of them have a moisturizer built in already. I don't like the way it feels on my face either, so that's why I follow with a warm wet washcloth and my own moisturizer.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

191 posts, read 942,720 times
It sounds like your skin's just naturally super oily, like mine. I've been to dermatologists many times and have even been on accutane, but the oiliness comes back no matter what. Talk to your doctor, but I think this is just one of those things you have to deal with.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM

29,624 posts, read 34,077,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsaroad View Post
It sounds like your skin's just naturally super oily, like mine. I've been to dermatologists many times and have even been on accutane, but the oiliness comes back no matter what. Talk to your doctor, but I think this is just one of those things you have to deal with.
I have really oily skin, too, and I agree. I don't have acne, just oiliness--it's just how my skin is. Like others have said, wash with a mild cleanser, use a light moisturizer, and blot, blot, blot.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
Avoid mineral or animal-based oil. Do not avoid vegetable-based oil. Also do not avoid jojoba oil. That isn't to say you -should- use veggie oil, only that you don't have to go out of your way to avoid it.

It sounds like you've already gotten lots of good advice. I have oily skin too so I know what y'all are talking about. The more you mess with your skin, the oilier it will be. Release of oil is the skin's way of protecting itself. Remember that the skin is the largest organ in your body. That oil is its defense against infection. When you keep scrubbing the oil off, and -not- replenishing the moisture, the skin says "OMG WE ARE CRACKING MAKE MOAR OILZ!!!!" and it makes more oil.

Don't use scrubs for awhile. Also don't use -hot- water for awhile. Don't use any alcohol-based astringents. Lastly, when you're done washing your face, do a final splash with cold water. Pat dry - don't wipe. Or better yet, let your face air dry. And dab a little moisturizer on your forehead, cheeks, and the bridge of your nose. Let that set for a few minutes before putting any makeup on, if you wear it.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
When you get old your face will still look youthful due to the oil. It will not dry out and get lots of wrinkles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness