U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,443 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing more and more about chronic lyme, and so far have only skimmed up on the subject. Is this a real syndrome or something hypochondriacs have conjured up? Chronic lyme is blamed for almost every condition under the sun, and chronic lyme advocates swear that chronic, long term use of antibiotics has helped them recover even though the vast majority of reliable medical literature out there does NOT support the use of long term antibiotics for chronic lyme. So what's the deal here? Is chronic lyme real or not? What are effective treatments (if any) that are recognized by the medical community at large?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 AM

36 posts, read 110,650 times
Well Fibonacci let me ask you a question is the world really round or is it something people conjured up and it's really flat? well you make a lot of claims for someone who has just skimmed the subject. watch "under our skin" !!!!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 15,707 times
I know about this. And my child goes to a school with a lot of woods nd nature. I am trying to get them to tick proof the play areas and they re not believeing me that it is as dangerous as it is. I may have to take my child out of that school.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM

4,272 posts, read 2,269,816 times
Because deer are such a transporter of the ticks with Lyme disease, I've never understood why they don't crack down and eliminate many of the deer in the suburban or slightly rural areas. Their natural predators are gone, so they proliferate like crazy and become real nuisances to landscape and bring in the ticks.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM

43,012 posts, read 83,468,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a new person View Post
I know about this. And my child goes to a school with a lot of woods nd nature. I am trying to get them to tick proof the play areas and they re not believeing me that it is as dangerous as it is. I may have to take my child out of that school.
They can't tick proof the areas entirely. They can keep the vegetation cut short to help make it a less desirable place for ticks. They can have play areas in sunny locations instead of shady locations. They can't use pesticide because it's a play area. Pesticide isn't good for children. It's also not effective in eliminating ticks if they are widespread in the area. My husband's friend owns an extermination company. He says exterminating yards for ticks is useless because the ticks surround the property.

Instead of talking to the school, you should talk to the school board about it. They're probably not taking it seriously because they haven't had an overabundance of students who contracted Lyme's. Compile data for your area where you live and go to the school board with documented proof of the prevalence in the area along with solid ways to reduce the tick population in the play areas in a safe manner.

If they don't have the funding or aren't interested, you could volunteer to head a parents' group to clear and maintain the playgrounds. Be proactive and part of the solution because I highly doubt another school will take you more seriously. Here's advice on how to make an area less attractive to ticks. Ticks in Your Yard: Here's What to Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Because deer are such a transporter of the ticks with Lyme disease, I've never understood why they don't crack down and eliminate many of the deer in the suburban or slightly rural areas. Their natural predators are gone, so they proliferate like crazy and become real nuisances to landscape and bring in the ticks.
The hunters in my family would love to hunt the suburbs. Unfortunately, it's too dangerous to have rifle hunters hunting so close to people's houses. Most large wooded areas are private property that prohibit hunting. Allegheny County is trying to combat the deer problem with archery hunting in the county parks. They really should expand this archery program because the hunts are very limited.

Outdoors Notebook: Deer management meeting at North Park - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM

45,264 posts, read 81,727,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I keep hearing more and more about chronic lyme, and so far have only skimmed up on the subject. Is this a real syndrome or something hypochondriacs have conjured up? Chronic lyme is blamed for almost every condition under the sun, and chronic lyme advocates swear that chronic, long term use of antibiotics has helped them recover even though the vast majority of reliable medical literature out there does NOT support the use of long term antibiotics for chronic lyme. So what's the deal here? Is chronic lyme real or not? What are effective treatments (if any) that are recognized by the medical community at large?
Your ignorance on this subject is not only insulting to our OP and the many others like him who are living with the devastating effects of this disease, it is downright disturbing.

Please endeavor to further educate yourself on this subject before you dare to suggest those with this disease are "hypochondriacs"

A good place to start is with the CDC - CDC - Statistics - Lyme Disease

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 12,626,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your ignorance on this subject is not only insulting to our OP and the many others like him who are living with the devastating effects of this disease, it is downright disturbing.

Please endeavor to further educate yourself on this subject before you dare to suggest those with this disease are "hypochondriacs"

A good place to start is with the CDC - CDC - Statistics - Lyme Disease

I just saw the message you sent me, sorry about delay. People like that don't bother, I just rise above them and hope for their sake they never have to go through this. Especially hope they dont have kids that get it and it ruins their childhood.

Moving on, I see you posted a link to CDC, which is one place to read about it. Unfortunately the CDC guidelines are antiquated so incorrect. So are the IDSA and this is why people get it as a chronic illness which then causes other illnesses. I belong to some support groups I will dm you for help. There are thousands of people on there from all over the world. The only place Lyme is not is Antarctica so people that think it is not in the South are the ones in trouble. I am one of them and have to travel North to get healthcare. I was bit by the tick in NJ, moved south and 3 yrs later figured it out. Too late by then and have paid terribly because of it. I know many people here that contracted Lyme in SC, GA, NC and other southern states but there are no or very few Dr's here that understand it and how to treat it. A good documentary to watch is Under Our Skin, which explains quite a bit about it plus why the guidelines are incorrect. There is a class action suit being put together, not for money but to get the CDC to change their guidelines. Many people in my support groups have sued their insurance and Dr's because they were not properly treated and won. There are tons of protests and many famous people coming out who also have it so things will change but just like HIV in the 80's it will take time.

Sites to learn most are: LymeDisease.org - central voice for Lyme disease and all tick-borne disease issues and ILADS - International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society

A tick bite, just like a mosquito can transmit many other infections. I contracted Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme. This is very common with a tick bite so they are not to be taken lightly. That being said, if a person is bit by a tick and goes to Dr right away, gets Doxy, it's very likely they will never have a problem. The problem is, most people never see the tick or get a rash and don't know they were bit. Second problem is, tests are not all accurate and usually only test for one or two strains when there are over 300. Very complicated and sad.

Lyme can cause many other health issues: FMS, ALS, MS, Lupus to mention a few. Many in my groups are in wheelchairs, lost everything and suffer terrible. This is not to say remission is not possible because it is with the right Dr and treatment.

I am happy to say I found a great Dr who can finish my sentences she knows so much about Lyme. I travel from SC to NJ to see her and its been a tough battle but 2 months now of whats seems to be remission. First time since 2006 and it's my 6th treatment but most aggressive. I do daily IV for almost a year now plus some oral meds, probiotics and other natural things plus detox baths. This is all things a person has to learn, usually on their own to get better. Insurance follows CDC guidelines, many people don't know that for any disease and Lyme is not the only disease where they are incorrect. Problem is that leaves those sick with no treatment coverage. I have been paying out of pocket, not able to work...all on a credit card $1000 a month for my meds. I had 3 businesses, went out at least 5 days a week, very active and that all went down the tubes with Lyme. So I take it as a joke those that don't believe this is real or really feel sorry for them. If anyone thinks I would have given up all I had, laid in bed 3 yrs sick, spent all this money, had every test imaginable done to me to the point of torture, spent many nights in ER...by choice or making it up is a very bored, ignorant person.

I am here to help anyone suffering with Lyme and I say that because I know how hard it is to go through. I can direct you to doc., web sites like above and support groups. Just offering support.

lovesmountains, I will send you links to support groups.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Just to add: mice are one of the largest carriers of ticks, not just deer. Also, ticks are everywhere. So use Deet or can search other repellents if spend time in grassy areas. The ticks can be as small as a poppy seed. If you have pets, they can carry them in and transfer to you. Not trying to start a panic....just giving info. so others don't have to suffer.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:29 PM

It's Lyme Awareness Month again and I just want ppl to be aware of the dangers. The CDC changed the number last yr of ppl infected from 30,000 to 300,000, quite a jump. This says two things, even that number is probably wrong and too low and the CDC is full of crap. There are law suits against them for not informing the public on the truth about Lyme and word is spreading with some famous ppl finally speaking out and many PSA's have been done by Tick-Borne Disease Alliance Debbie Gibson the singer and Yolanda Foster of one of the Housewives shows has been speaking out on talk shows.

This disease can become very serious with the wrong treatment and the wrong dr giving bad advice. I'm posting for awareness: please learn how to use tick repellent, remove a tick properly, what to do if bit and how to find a Lyme Literate dr. The info. is out there. LymeDisease.org - central voice for Lyme disease and all tick-borne disease issues Also, if anyone needs help and thinks they may have Lyme, please don't feel alone. There are many support groups and dr's that do care. If it becomes chronic stage, its a horrible disease to deal with but with the right help and support remission is possible so don't give up. The leading cause of death from Lyme is suicide and thats because of ignorance, bad dr's and wrong treatments. I will help anyone who needs it the best I can, so never give up.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Haven't been here awhile so an update - today and tomorrow the house will be voting on vector borne illness research. It is imperative they vote to do more research. The CDC knows this is an epidemic and not being transparent. The last two yrs they slowly leak huge number increases and unless a person were paying attention they would not realize whats going on. The news of this will come out and it is not far off. My dr is ilads trained which is one of the only training centers that do correct treating. She just went to work with the most well known dr in the country, he has created a team of drs that will soon be training drs across the country. They know this is going to explode, they know its a huge problem and so do most of us with Lyme disease.

Writing to state reps is to help all of us with Lyme but also to help everyone that has it and doesnt even know it. Thats a lot of people. It has been proven Lyme is transmitted via several bugs but also in vitro, sex, blood transfusion, organ donation. So for all the people not even bit by a tick, there are many other ways to get Lyme disease. Since last I posted, I have had over ten people contact me, asked questions, got tested and they have Lyme. In my support groups over ten people have committed suicide due to the horrible suffering and treatment. This is all caused by incorrect info. being put out there but that is going to change.

They used to say chronic migraines were fake, they used to say all kinds of wrong info about HIV/AIDS, mental illness and so many other health problems. Then one day the truth comes out but we need government support. Here is where you can search your state rep and very easily can copy/paste a request for research. Its all on the page. NEWS: Immediate action needed on House Lyme billLymeDisease.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness