U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 25,572,839 times

Advertisements

in jan i fell from 6.4 to 6.0 but i rose slightly to 6.1 last month. that was because i cut back on the metf due to laziness and some silly fears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM

i take the glucerna shakes when i am too scared or nauseous to eat solids. i notice my readings on the meter are very well controlled due to that carb steady feature they make the glucerna with

Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM

i had a panic attack with nausea and pounding heart in Applebees this AM--i had to turn my served breakfast into a take out order. when i got home i did eat it tho. i was nauseous on several occasions today. each time my sugar readings were within normal limits. in fact the majority of the times my sugars are WNL during these attacks. it is far less often that i have hyperglycemic readings with these attacks

i am wondering if it is less gastroparesis and hyperglycemia and more an inner ear issue or maybe a vitamin b12 deficiency. doesn't metf deplete your b12 which aids in digestion?

is it possible that all the meds i take are causing this maybe?

micardis/hct

inspra

metoprolol

lasix

paxil

metformin

victoza

baby aspirin

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM

several of these attacks have been triggered by parking garages and heights. my worst encounter was least year. i had an appt and had to enter a 7 story parking garage. i found a spot on the 5th floor and when i got to the elevator it opened and it was made of glass. because i could easily see the drop i immediately felt dizzy, ran away to the stairs but could not go down so i went back to my car, drove up to the 7th floor, found a spot there but when i got out i saw that the front edge of the car was inches from a cement rail separating the car from the drop

i walked down 7 inclines to the street. i was nauseous as heck until i finally saw the doc, then i felt better

i actually was able to walk up the 7 inclines and force myself to not look at the front edge of the car while i got in. i was happy for that but i feared for my life at the same time

same with the building i am going to tomorrow. i have to walk up the inclines i cannot take the stairs because of the heights. in fact that building is on a hill.

again i wonder if this is an inner ear thing.

do you see what i mean?

it just doesn't seem totally GI to me

today i have a headache, have some dizziness, and when i was walking to Applebees this AM i noticed the sidewalk in front of me looked a little lopsided

Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM

yesterday before my finance planner called i snacked on hard carrots and swiss cheese. made me feel sick and i had to postpone our conference call till today. i really have to watch my snacking and avoid overindulgence. hard foods are hard to digest and i know swiss cheese never agrees with me--but i can't stay way from it!! a glucerna bar would have been the wiser choice. so i know my habits need to be refined

Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM

18,792 posts, read 49,237,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
several of these attacks have been triggered by parking garages and heights. my worst encounter was least year. i had an appt and had to enter a 7 story parking garage. i found a spot on the 5th floor and when i got to the elevator it opened and it was made of glass. because i could easily see the drop i immediately felt dizzy, ran away to the stairs but could not go down so i went back to my car, drove up to the 7th floor, found a spot there but when i got out i saw that the front edge of the car was inches from a cement rail separating the car from the drop

i walked down 7 inclines to the street. i was nauseous as heck until i finally saw the doc, then i felt better

i actually was able to walk up the 7 inclines and force myself to not look at the front edge of the car while i got in. i was happy for that but i feared for my life at the same time

same with the building i am going to tomorrow. i have to walk up the inclines i cannot take the stairs because of the heights. in fact that building is on a hill.

again i wonder if this is an inner ear thing.

do you see what i mean?

it just doesn't seem totally GI to me

today i have a headache, have some dizziness, and when i was walking to Applebees this AM i noticed the sidewalk in front of me looked a little lopsided
That's because it is agoraphobia or fear of heights, or both, not anything related to your diabetes or GI tract. You should be talking to your therapist.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM

460 posts, read 812,847 times
Are you under single doctor's care? Is just one doctor prescribing all these meds? If you have more than one, are they aware of what the other doctor is prescribing? I didn't know what some of the things you were taking were so I looked them up and I don't understand why a person needs to take two diuretics, two blood pressure meds, two blood sugar meds etc. I am not a doctor but if I were, the first thing I'd consider is that you are over-medicated. Don't discontinue without talking to a doctor but seriously, that seems like a lot. Or, call a pharmacist and talk to them about side effects and interactions.

The next thing I'd look at is magnesium deficiency. Something like 90% of all diabetics are magnesium deficient because it's lost in the urine (especially if you are taking two diuretics!) Low magnesium causes anxiety, high blood pressure, poor insulin control, muscle spasm, nausea, restless leg syndrome etc.. It sounds to me like you are seriously deficient. Please write down all the symptoms you are having and bring this to the attention of the doctor treating your diabetes. Specifically ask about magnesium deficiency as it relates to your diabetes management.

You seem so symptomatic that I really would see a doctor ASAP about this. In bad cases they will administer it intravenously. If you decide you can't get to the appointment, there are many resources on the web that will explain all this to you. If you decide to try it on your own, I recommend Natural Calm (I like it in hot tea about 45 minutes before bedtime) or you can take it in pill form, Calcium Citrate is the best form. I like the brand "Pure." You can get both on Amazon - no need to even leave the house! If it's going to work, you will start to feel improvement within days, though it sounds like you are really deficient so maybe a bit longer.

Came back to edit after I saw your post on gastroparesis. One possible cause of this condition, besides diabetes is low magnesium levels.

Last edited by Dragonmam; 05-02-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM

tho i like my doctors, they really don't get too involved with vitamin/mineral deficiency stuff. a family practitioner is treating me for the diabetes and a nephrologist is treating me for some protein in the urine. it was his decision to pout me on 2 diuretics and 2 bp meds. he is prudent and i feel i can trust him. they all know what i am taking but they haven't said anything. i really don't know who to go to. i have a health plan with no out of network benefit. i feel you could be right about the mag deficiency

Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM

460 posts, read 812,847 times
Very few doctors, other than pediatricians, seem to remember the importance of nutrition as the foundation to good health. I would talk to either of them about this. You may actually need to check with the nephrologist (or have the family doctor call him) to make sure it's okay to take magnesium if your kidneys aren't functioning as they should. The magnesium connection to any of these conditions is not obscure; if you Google it there are articles from reputable sources like National Institutes of Health (NIH) that address low magnesium as it relates to each condition. They should know but perhaps they just aren't seeing the big picture and just dealing with the specific condition you've complained to them about. Bring copies of the articles you find. Remind them that you are being treated for other conditions that also point in this direction.

I'm not saying that magnesium will cure all this. It sounds like you have some complex issues but all of them have low magnesium as the common denominator so it seems like that needs to be addressed and either fixed or ruled out.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 AM

903 posts, read 1,657,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
this is occurring with EVERY medical appointment and even non medical appointment. I am on vacation from work and have had to cancel every single appointment for a lower abdominal scan last week, an ENT appt yesterday, a follow up oncology appt today (not serious it can wait), and i am thinking of cancelling my rescheduled lower abdominal scan again but i HAVE to make the ENT appt Friday because I want to try to find out if i have labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis that is causing these attacks.

I originally thought this came from my Diabetes or was some kind of GI issue but i am starting to think that it is inner ear related instead.

in the past it was no problem at all to make appointments but now i cannot do them due to intense nausea/panic reaction. i need valium to have a simple dental cleaning or gum treatment

just today i had to cancel a conference call with my financial planner and insurance agent and it was in the privacy of my own home. nausea and rapid heartbeat were the culprits, and they conveniently come on like an hour or so before the appointments

ive developed a dread of the apartment house my ENT, dermatologist and eye dotor are in, as well as the parking garage i often have to use to park there because there are hardly any spots on the street and the whole complex is on a hill. everytime i go to that bldg i get panic attacks

I HAVE to make the ENT appt Friday at least. maybe i should have a liquid lunch like Glucerna(as opposed to solids) before going. I HAVE to get through this, this is consuming me. it is turning me into a recluse and i no longer go anywhere or travel out of my area

any ideas?
Panic attacks happen when there's a major influx of adrenaline, I've had them many times for different reasons, but the underlying cause is "stress"; you're obviously getting stressed, maybe because you felt anxious about the appointment, and with the 2nd panic attack the fear of more created additional anxiety, etc.

Speaking of anxiety, I second Dragonmam's suggestion for magnesium. But don't try magnesium oxide (the most easily available form) unless you suffer from constipation as in the adequate dose of 400 mg. it could cause loose bowels to some, it's also very alkaline so it should be taken on an empty stomach to improve it's poor absorption, but not close to a meal. Or you can try "magnesium oil", a transdermally used liquid form of magnesium chloride. In a pinch, soaking your feet for 30 min. in a basin with very warm water with 1/2 C. of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) dissolved in it will calm you down.

Two other ways to control a panic attack is to become conscious of your breathing and slowing it down by inhaling slowly through your nose watching your stomach rise, holding for a few secs and then exhaling also through your nose very slowly. Or you can alternate inhaling with your left nostril while pressing on the right and viceversa. Another way is to burn the adrenaline with cardio exercise, it is usually released as a part of the "fight or flight" response but since you're not fighting nor fleeing the buildup causes the exaggerated symptoms. You can start marching in place as fast as you can or punching your fists in the air.

Lastly, MOLD can trigger panic attacks, I thought I'd mention that because I lived in a house with mold and used to have them frequently, especially if I ate wheat, dairy or peanut butter, foods "famous" for being high in mold and/or their mycotoxins, so from early 2009 and 2010 I read so much about it I almost became an "expert" on the subject. Incidentally, some of the reading I did posed a connection between some cases of Diabetes 2 with fungus, many people who went on a diet specific for eliminating mycotoxins completely recovered from it. Here's a page that mentions it: Diabetes without Drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness