Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 PM

218 posts, read 775,071 times

Advertisements

Got a question for you - for the past several months - every time I eat something I become light headed and very sleepy.

I have had my blood tested for diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies and so on and the good news - everything was clear.

I cut out all sugars and carbs thinking that may be the culprit. However after every lunch/dinner (and they are light meals) it's hard to keep my eyes open.

Any ideas what this could be? My doctor has no idea and I'm thinking maybe allergies?

Do I see a gastrologist, maybe?

Any advise/idea would be very welcome.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,890,438 times
Low blood pressure (Postprandial hypotension).

Old 05-04-2013, 12:37 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Allergies can produce that effect, you might want to try an elimination diet to find out which foods are triggering this. And a word of caution, not everything might come out as positive in a test. I was sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was allergic to dust and mold because of all the sneezing, post-nasal drip, etc., yet a very expensive blood test (that I had to pay myself) gave a false negative on everything . Perhaps the word "intolerance" for foods sometimes is more appropiate, and of those I turned out to have several and ONLY my own observations and abstaning proved me right.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Low blood pressure (Postprandial hypotension).
Yup, ^^ some people experience a big drop in blood pressure after eating which will produce those symptoms. You can google more info about it.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM

218 posts, read 775,071 times
Postprandial hypotension - that's interesting. I was tested for blood pressure too - all was normal BUT I was not tested after eating.
Is there a way to check your blood pressure by yourself without having to go to the doctor?

I also paid out of pocket for the tests - freakin' expensive!

Maybe gluten intolerance? Can that just appear?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Postprandial hypotension - that's interesting. I was tested for blood pressure too - all was normal BUT I was not tested after eating.
Is there a way to check your blood pressure by yourself without having to go to the doctor?

Sure. Blood pressure cuffs of all different styles are available in any drug store/department.
I have normal pressure on the low side and experience this on and off at different degrees....sometimes severe enough that halfway through a meal I feel like I could lay my head in my plate and nap right there
Most times it's milder and brief.
In either case, doing something to increase your heart rate....getting up and moving....should correct it.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
toopie28...yeh...gluten intolerance...try eating gluten free...for me, it makes a world of difference in how I feel, especially after eating.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:

I agree with trying the BP cuffs in the grocery or drug stores. However, they may (probably will) result in a slight variance from your norm or what you might expect. I've compared and reported this to my Doc, though I'm not sure he really cared. That aside, what you really want is to establish a norm. Your Doc has a norm, the store has a norm. Test in the a.m. or other time. Have a meal, then test again. Over time you'll find a norm.

Next time you do your grocery shopping look for products that say 'Gluten Free'. You may have seen them in the past and not cared. More products are appearing now that are gluten free, though they're not as tasty. Bread is more like a pound cake that what we're used to. Many packaged products that result in a sauce may be gluten related. But be careful... there are some who will loudly protest the idea of gluten being a problem. It may be for some. Try to design a diet that eliminates a trend towards gluten. Do some 'net research.

I would add that tennis champ Djokovich was having a hard time breaking in to being a champion. He eliminated gluten from his diet a few years ago after which his tennis game improved and he started winning championships. He says he now does NOT eat pizza... crust - flour - wheat - gluten.

Might try eating more beets... more 'net research.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Got a question for you - for the past several months - every time I eat something I become light headed and very sleepy.

I have had my blood tested for diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies and so on and the good news - everything was clear.

I cut out all sugars and carbs thinking that may be the culprit. However after every lunch/dinner (and they are light meals) it's hard to keep my eyes open.

Any ideas what this could be? My doctor has no idea and I'm thinking maybe allergies?

Do I see a gastrologist, maybe?

Any advise/idea would be very welcome.
Thanks.

So, you changed your diet and it did not help?????

Please post a sample meal of what you tried eating on the "new" diet....even though it did not help.

The reason I ask for this information is because I USED to have this EXACT same problem.....very tired/drowsy/spacey after meals.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 PM

368 posts, read 928,629 times
I do too! I'm feeling it right now. My blood pressure has always been normal if not on the low side first thing in the morning (taken when I'm fasting for a blood test). I chenged to gluten free/paleo, and I still had the same thing happen. I did try Green Coffee Bean extract - I got more energy but then I had more cravings so I stopped that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness