U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,810,444 times

Advertisements

Have you had an EMG?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 13,547,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Have you had an EMG?
Had to look that up...
Electromyography (EMG) - MayoClinic.com

Nope.
Seems like a pretty good diagnostic tool, though.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM

21,675 posts, read 12,027,336 times
If you rest your arm a lot on a desk or if your arm is constantly flexed (typing, etc) you can definitely get some nerve pain. I've had both carpal tunnel surgery and ulnar nerve surgery and I will still get it from time to time from spending too much time with my elbow on desk.

If you cross your legs a lot, too, that can irritate those 'pressure points".

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 13,547,124 times
Diagnosis: Ulnar nerve entrapment.

Ulnar nerve entrapment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A combination of getting older and losing fat around the joints and under the skin (I am quite thin) and repetitive motion-type activies over many years.

For now: Daily anti-inflammatories, some exercises, see if it gets better before scheduling further tests. Also I was cautioned against too much computer/phone use without repeated stretching at frequent intervals.

I am also going to schedule some therapeutic massage. This makes sense, because I have had job-related tennis elbow/ulnar nerve pain before (although it manifested a little differently) and good massages absolutely, positively helped.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 16,860,976 times
I'm thinking tennis elbow (I have Fibro. and it doesn't sound like that) - a great remedy for tennis elbow: find something that you can hang from by you arms (a tree limb, etc. - in my case, we have an unfinished basement and I can hang by arms from a beam) - that'll help stretch it out. It's a repetitive motion thing (i.e., using the computer a lot) - also, try switching your mouse from right to left hand (or vice versa).

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,548,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
So over the last year this has happened...

Both my left elbow and right knee have developed "pressure points" and resting on my elbow or kneeling a certain way results in nervy "electric shocks" (like hitting your funny bone) and several second of excruciating, burning and rather horrid pain.

I am quite flexible and bending or extending these joints is fine; it just happens when I put pressure on them in a certain way. So I don't, LOL. But it is a nuisance.

I'm 55, female, post-meno, and as far as I know in excellent health. Thin and pretty fit. I have an annual physical scheduled for late June and will ask my doc about this but in the meantime does this ring any bells? Is this common as we age and our skin gets thinner and fat pads diminish, or something?
I have the electric shocks in my left elbow, it was from keeping my arm up resting on my elbow over the years, I've always tended to sit this way with my elbow on a hard surface at work while waiting for something, I do it in the house also, never noticed before I did that in the house, I had the nerve conduction test, remedy was surgery or taking Naproxen 500mg 2 x day. They said the surgery is similar to carpel tunnel, you know I'm doing it now while reading at this computer. I bought a cushion thing that goes over my elbow (can't think of what its called right now) I can't say I use it much because it seems to get in my way, so when working I catch myself doing this and put my arm down.

My right leg will get an bad ache pain once in awhile from bursitis, that came from sitting with my left leg crossed over the right leg Indian style while sitting in a chair, the dr. showed me how to do a mild exercise for that and it really works, it pulls the cartilige back over my hip bone. When I catch myself doing this I cross over my right leg over the left leg.

Why didn't they tell us this years ago? Guess they didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness