Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times

Advertisements

So over the last year this has happened...

Both my left elbow and right knee have developed "pressure points" and resting on my elbow or kneeling a certain way results in nervy "electric shocks" (like hitting your funny bone) and several second of excruciating, burning and rather horrid pain.

I am quite flexible and bending or extending these joints is fine; it just happens when I put pressure on them in a certain way. So I don't, LOL. But it is a nuisance.

I'm 55, female, post-meno, and as far as I know in excellent health. Thin and pretty fit. I have an annual physical scheduled for late June and will ask my doc about this but in the meantime does this ring any bells? Is this common as we age and our skin gets thinner and fat pads diminish, or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Ha I guessed I must have stumped everyone LOL.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Just a guess but if you went to a neurologist they would probably say Fibromyalgia and it might be that. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia several yrs ago with similiar symptoms but I also started having seizure/black outs so I knew their was more to it. After many, many dr's that don't have a clue or care I did my own research and it sounded like Lyme disease. I got tested and it was positive. That does not mean you have it but do some research online and see if you have any of the other symptoms. Do you remember having any type of rash in the past few months? I had Lyme 3 yrs w/o treatment and then from that got Fibromyalgia. I have everything you descibed and about 30 more so maybe just look into it. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Just a guess but if you went to a neurologist they would probably say Fibromyalgia and it might be that. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia several yrs ago with similiar symptoms but I also started having seizure/black outs so I knew their was more to it. After many, many dr's that don't have a clue or care I did my own research and it sounded like Lyme disease. I got tested and it was positive. That does not mean you have it but do some research online and see if you have any of the other symptoms. Do you remember having any type of rash in the past few months? I had Lyme 3 yrs w/o treatment and then from that got Fibromyalgia. I have everything you descibed and about 30 more so maybe just look into it. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Interesting!

I read up on fibromyalgia and wondered if this could be it...which would really suck, actually. I am bipolar/depressive and have been treated for both since the 1980s and I know the two are associated.

No rash. I have been seriously and robustly healthy my entire life, I barely even get colds.

It is so far not a big deal except for the pressure thing....put pressure on a joint just the right (or wrong) way and I just about faint from the pain for 30-60 seconds, it burns horribly. And this is a fairly new thing.

I am now going to Dr Google Lyme disease, thanks to you LOL. I am sorry you're dealing with this; my ex had rheumatoid arthritis and was initially tested for Lyme disease and I know it can be very painful and debilitating.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Yes, I was told Bipolar/depression can trigger FMS or trauma or infection. It can be managed if you have a good dr but for me thats been the biggest challenge. Usually they test for everything else to rule out other things. In my case, I had an arrogant neuro. that didn't want to do anything and just said FMS. So it took a long type to figure out Lyme and it did a lot of damage. It could be arthritis pain because I know that can be very painful. Just don't let them guess, put you on all kinds of drugs and make you come back every other day. Some of them will do this. I guess you can tell I'm not thrilled with dr's at this point. As far as the Lyme, I was just wondering if you saw a rash but 50% of people that have it don't see the rash. Also, the tests sometimes give false negatives and false positives so it's not easy to diagnose unless you are seeing a dr that treats people frequently with Lyme. Just my suggestion but I would do some research of your symptoms and write down the couple things that match. Ask a dr you trust to test and also what do they think it could be? You might just need something for imflammation. Also look up neuropathy.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Wait. I recently got an itchy bumpy rash on one elbow, I thought it was a cluster of mosquito bites, since they're just starting to re-emerge.

Some sort of peripheral neuropathy. Electric shock followed by intense burning pain, both elbows if I lean on them "just wrong" and my right knee, if ditto. It's definitely nerve pain, not arthritis. I'm petty sure, anyway.

Peripheral neuropathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otherwise I feel 100 percent fine, so I'll just wait until my physical. Maybe I'll put myself on ibuprofen for a week to see it reducing inflammation makes a difference.

Rapture, thanks so much! I'm sort of the opposite of a hypochrondiac usually and tend to an "ignore it and it will go away" approach to minor things, but I suppose I should start being a bit more attentive to my health at this point.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I have Fibromyalgia and there is a more widespread pain. There are 18 pressure/trigger/tender points and you have to have 11 of these in order to be dx with FM. I think this is strange because I can have any or all of these at a given time and none at another.

I would venture to say that more people have FM than are dx with it. Here is a link:

Fibromyalgia Tender Points and Trigger Points: Locations of Pain for Diagnosis

I also experience what you are describing and I normally think it is my FM..

Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I have chronic "tennis elbow" which is similar to what the OP describes in many ways. One doc told me I had a congenital incomplete closure of the bone covering the nerve running on the outside of the elbow. When I lean on the point of my elbows, I get a stabbing pain running down to my hands, like an electric shock and my hands get numb and weak.

When I moved and overdid it painting the new house, I had terrible pains in both arms as I switched hands when one got bad. Since then, I've been told I have a chronic enlargement of the tissues at that spot so I have to be very careful what I do.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Pikantari, I don't have fibro, of that I am sure. No tiredness, no overall pain and the pressure points don't match up. I think it's irritated nerves, one way or another...I have a friend with diabetic neuropathy and she agreed that trying anti-inflammatories might help. Although I certainly don't want to take them all the time. The pain is only if I rest my elbows on a hard surface or kneel on my right knee...as long as I do neither I'm fine. But I am mildly concerned that this might get worse and become a problem.

Southern, there ya go...I am a painting contractor of 35 years and have had "tennis elbow" mildly for over 20 years. Not surprisingly, given all these years of repetitive and overhead motion. I have found that getting professional massages help enormously for the numbness and tingling; have you ever tried that?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Not for my arms. I like massages, when I can afford one, for my back (couple of spinal fusions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness