U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM

21,789 posts, read 27,672,149 times

Advertisements

Tuesday afternoon, my stomach started to hurt. I ignored it and went to the gym after work and pushed through a pretty standard workout for me, which was 10 minutes of HIIT, 30 minutes weightlifting, then 30 minutes of cardio. By the end of it, my stomach was hurting pretty badly. More like a diffuse ache than a sharp pain. It subsided after about another hour but my abs were sore the following day.

Yesterday, I started to get very sharp pain in my abdomen...all over the place really, but as time wore on it seemed to focus on the right upper quadrant under the ribs with referred pain in the lower back. I found I could alleviate it somewhat by leaning back as far as I could. It got very bad while I was driving home so I was stuck in an upright seated position not able to move very far forward or backward. By the time I got home and out of the car, I was no longer moaning and groaning. I was literally shouting, on the verge of screaming, because the pain was so bad. It takes a LOT of pain to make me even make a noise other than a sharp intake of air through the teeth.

To get the pain to pass, I had to lie flat on my back stretching my arms over my head, basically making myself as 'long' as I could. I did this for several minutes, then rolled over onto my front and did a cobra pose from yoga, where you lift your upper body off the ground but your hips are still on the ground. (This helps to stretch the abdominal muscles if you're not familiar with the move.) I repeated this a few times, i.e. stayed stretched out on my back for a while, then rolled over and stretched the abs.

After about 20 minutes of this the pain had subsided enough for me to resume my normal activites but I've felt bloaty and gassy since Tuesday.

Could this be gallstones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM

11,789 posts, read 19,426,939 times
In the absence of an actual sonogram of the area or a doctor visit, you can take your right hand, locate the end of your lower rib cage around the area of your liver/gallbladder, and apply pressure with all four fingers in a cupping fashion up and around your ribs - if you have a gallstone or stones, this action will cause acute pain.

Hope that helps! Go see your doctor and see if you need to have it removed. And don't worry too much about letting it go - you won't even miss it. I had mine removed a few years ago and it was an outpatient surgery. Mine was preemptive, as I hadn't had any attacks but during a liver sonogram the technologist discovered a fairly large stone. Why wait to have a full blown attack, where you feel like you'd like to just fling yourself from the highest cliff to end the excruciating pain?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
In the absence of an actual sonogram of the area or a doctor visit, you can take your right hand, locate the end of your lower rib cage around the area of your liver/gallbladder, and apply pressure with all four fingers in a cupping fashion up and around your ribs - if you have a gallstone or stones, this action will cause acute pain.

Hope that helps! Go see your doctor and see if you need to have it removed. And don't worry too much about letting it go - you won't even miss it. I had mine removed a few years ago and it was an outpatient surgery. Mine was preemptive, as I hadn't had any attacks but during a liver sonogram the technologist discovered a fairly large stone. Why wait to have a full blown attack, where you feel like you'd like to just fling yourself from the highest cliff to end the excruciating pain?
I tried that action and it made me ache worse...I'm achey right now...but it didn't cause a sharp stabbing pain like I had yesterday.

I think if I have a repeat of yesterday's agony I will definitely see a doctor. I googled around on gallstones and they said sometimes acute attacks happen but do not recur. Here's hoping!

Thank you for the advice...reps given.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 AM

11,789 posts, read 19,426,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I tried that action and it made me ache worse...I'm achey right now...but it didn't cause a sharp stabbing pain like I had yesterday.

I think if I have a repeat of yesterday's agony I will definitely see a doctor. I googled around on gallstones and they said sometimes acute attacks happen but do not recur. Here's hoping!

Thank you for the advice...reps given.
You're welcome - I hope everything works out for you. Nothing can replace a bonafide doctor visit, but you can definitely figure out if it's time to make an appointment. Again, no need to worry if you do need to have it removed, very simple common surgery with immediate detectable improvement post op.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM

20,207 posts, read 13,449,109 times
Considering the pain passed with stretching, I'm gonna guess it's not gallstones. I'm thinking it's musculature, or gas. Don't mock gas, it can hurt like hell and cause some major symptoms.

Let us know what the doctor says!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM

16,487 posts, read 18,898,327 times
It could certainly be gallstones or just your gallbladder. I had to have my gallbladder removed a number of years ago because it was in really bad shape, but I did not have gallstones. If the pain continues I would definately go to the doctor and not keep waiting.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Considering the pain passed with stretching, I'm gonna guess it's not gallstones. I'm thinking it's musculature, or gas. Don't mock gas, it can hurt like hell and cause some major symptoms.

Let us know what the doctor says!
That had occurred to me as well, since after the pain passed I had this very full bloaty feeling like I needed to fart, but couldn't.

No pain yesterday so hopefully whatever it was won't happen again whether it was gallstones, gas, etc. Hopefully just gas. Gas I can handle, long as I can coax it out.

Thanks everyone who responded....reps given where possible!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM

16,487 posts, read 18,898,327 times
My sister and I were just talking on the phone about her recent trouble with gallstones. She went to a chiropractor and a acupuncturist. They recommended her eating beet greens daily. The beets can be eaten as well, but it is the beet greens that are supposed to help dissolve gallstones. I don't personally know if this is for real, I just know she is no longer in pain since she began doing that.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
My sister and I were just talking on the phone about her recent trouble with gallstones. She went to a chiropractor and a acupuncturist. They recommended her eating beet greens daily. The beets can be eaten as well, but it is the beet greens that are supposed to help dissolve gallstones. I don't personally know if this is for real, I just know she is no longer in pain since she began doing that.
I've heard conflicting advice on swiss chard; a lot of sites say it's good for gallbladder patients whereas others say it isn't because it's high in oxalates (and gallstones are comprised of cholesterol and calcium oxalate).

(Swiss chard and beet greens are practically the same thing!)

Luckily whatever this was has not come back...no repeat of those symptoms since I posted the thread.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,137,801 times
When you have gallstone pain, it is on the right hand side under the ribs and it bores through or around to your back. It is very painful, enough to cause vomiting, and it is "labor pain" bad! You may get another attack no matter when or where... but they eventually start coming more frequently. I had 3 before I got tested. First I thought it was food poisoning. Second was 6+ mos later, third was 3 mos after that... So if you have a second attack, get the sonogram!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness