Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times

Advertisements

OK so I was wondering if anyone knew or has heard of this happening when taking antibiotics? When I take them I get a pain in my rectal region and it usually is pretty painful, feels like I have to go but I don't. Then sometimes it causes me to go blind temporarily(and very freaky), panic, and sweat like a mofo. I have no idea why this is, can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Some antibiotics can have very negative side effects for some....not all folks respond the same to them. Are you meaning just once, or several times, with the same drug?

Your MD and/or pharmacist are those to whom you should address your question, but I will say that yrs ago, when taking antibiotics on an empty stomach, I suffered severe nausea and dizziness...scary too. Diarrhea is a common side effect for some users.

Some are ALLERGIC to some antibiotics.
Don't take a med that makes you feel this way.....
check with your MD.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'm allergic to some antibiotics. You should inform your doc immediately.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I'm allergic to the "illin" family of antibiotics (amoxycillin, penicillin, etc). I'm fine with most of the others - no idea about tetracycline though, I've never needed it for anything. I have very mild side effects, compared to some people who have more severe allergies. I just get a stomach ache. It mottled my teeth when I was a kid and had to take it before I had my adenoids removed, but other than the stomach ache, nothing bad. I'm one of the lucky ones though.

Blindness and panic, I've never heard as having anything to do with allergy to antibiotics. You might've been just having a panic attack. Which can be crazy-scary - I watched my sister get one when she was in the hospital for an emergency gall bladder removal.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Some antibiotics have anxiety and panic attacks as a side effect. My son can't take Bactrim for that very reason. I'm sure some other antibiotics can have this side effect too.

Cipro gives me hallucinations when I'm underweight. I'm always lucky to be the 1%. I never look at side effects until I experience them so it's not like it is the power of suggestion.

I thought the temporary blindness was unusual so I did a quick google search. This is what I found:

Antibiotic Alert: The Drug The Doctor Ordered Could Cause Deadly Side Effects - Forbes

OP, you need to inform your doctor about the temporary blindness. You should not take Cipro or Levaquin again.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Some antibiotics have anxiety and panic attacks as a side effect. My son can't take Bactrim for that very reason. I'm sure some other antibiotics can have this side effect too.

Cipro gives me hallucinations when I'm underweight. I'm always lucky to be the 1%. I never look at side effects until I experience them so it's not like it is the power of suggestion.

I thought the temporary blindness was unusual so I did a quick google search. This is what I found:

Antibiotic Alert: The Drug The Doctor Ordered Could Cause Deadly Side Effects - Forbes

OP, you need to inform your doctor about the temporary blindness. You should not take Cipro or Levaquin again.
The OP didn't mention -which- antibiotics he's taking. If his reaction was to penicillin, then there's no reason why Cipro should automatically be ruled out as an alternative. I wouldn't advise him one way or another, personally. Better for him to talk to his doctor, and coordinate care with his pharmacist.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The OP didn't mention -which- antibiotics he's taking.
I'm well aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If his reaction was to penicillin, then there's no reason why Cipro should automatically be ruled out as an alternative. I wouldn't advise him one way or another, personally. Better for him to talk to his doctor, and coordinate care with his pharmacist.
You can chose your way of advising him, and I'll chose my way. (And, hey, at least I know there is a difference between side effects and allergies. ) I told him to talk to his doctor. IMO he shouldn't take ANY drug that has a side effect of blindness. I'm basing that on my personal experience that some people are susceptible to a specific side effect of ANY medication of ANY classification. The temporary blindness side effect is a super big deal because it can result in permanent damage. That's too big of a risk to play with.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Obviously I am not taking it anymore it is just so awkward to have these reactions especially when I have never had a reaction to any drug ever. BTW the antibiotic is Cephalexin.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Some antibiotics make food taste funny. When I had pneumonia I was put on some crazy antibiotics that made everything taste awful. I lost my appetite and got really weak and emotional. Cried at the drop of a hat. I think that was more due to the stress of being sick and my employers not wanting to give me time off than anything else, though.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Google Candida and see if you have any of the other things listed and talk to your dr of course. I have Lyme 7 years and on and off antibiotics all the time, everything you said has happened to me and it was Candida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness