Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer a gentle but firm way for me to tell my husband he has bad breath?

His breath is terrible pretty much all of the time. I've tried to hint, I've even asked him to brush his teeth now and again. He doesn't brush regularly and it's gross -- he wants to French kiss me when as far as I can tell he hasn't brushed his teeth in a day or two -- it is terrible.

I am so embarrassed to be posting this.

Even my son has told him his breath is bad. His reaction is to get VERY upset and insulted and to throw it back at my son and tell him he smells in various ways. I am sure he would do the same to me because in the past there are one or two things I've gently suggested he hygenically change and he yelled at me that *I* smell or am dirty or whatever. (I don't and I'm not.)

Just now I was on the bed and he tried to come cuddle and he was breathing into my face...oh it was terrible...I just can't describe the smell. I had to get up on some pretext of checking the laundry. He acted miffed/insulted.

Help...how can I approach this? It has been going on for years. NO amount of hinting helps but I am afraid to outright tell him because of how furious he'll get and how he'll pout about it for days.

Anyone deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
I have never dealt with such behavior. It seems you have married an 8 year old, that doesn't want to be responsible, and is immature when discussing difficult topics.

I don't know if your husband is lazy, or If something else is wrong. When people stop taking care of their basic grooming, it might be a sign of clinical depression?

Has he had bad experiences with dentists in the past, and is now being passive aggressive and trying to show that he is in charge, by not brushing?

Your husband should know that not brushing will lead too cavities, gum disease, root canals, dentures, etc. All of which are painful and expensive, and avoidable.

But, as you know you can't make anyone do anything. Stop kissing him, stop having sex with him, and tell him why. Tell him it all will come back if he starts taking care of himself. The rest is up to him.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
If you've hinted for years and it hasn't helped, you're either going to have to put up with it or tell him outright. It would be one thing if he practiced good oral hygiene and still had bad breath. But if it's something he can fix with some brushing and flossing it doesn't seem right that you should have to suffer through it.

As far as how to approach it, can you just say, "I don't mean to insult you or hurt your feelings, but I think you really need to brush your teeth more often. There's not a nice way to say this, but your breath stinks. I love you and am attracted to you, but your breath is very unappealing." If he gets mad, he gets mad, but at least you've tried.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Can anyone offer a gentle but firm way for me to tell my husband he has bad breath?

His breath is terrible pretty much all of the time. I've tried to hint, I've even asked him to brush his teeth now and again. He doesn't brush regularly and it's gross -- he wants to French kiss me when as far as I can tell he hasn't brushed his teeth in a day or two -- it is terrible.

I am so embarrassed to be posting this.

Even my son has told him his breath is bad. His reaction is to get VERY upset and insulted and to throw it back at my son and tell him he smells in various ways. I am sure he would do the same to me because in the past there are one or two things I've gently suggested he hygenically change and he yelled at me that *I* smell or am dirty or whatever. (I don't and I'm not.)

Just now I was on the bed and he tried to come cuddle and he was breathing into my face...oh it was terrible...I just can't describe the smell. I had to get up on some pretext of checking the laundry. He acted miffed/insulted.

Help...how can I approach this? It has been going on for years. NO amount of hinting helps but I am afraid to outright tell him because of how furious he'll get and how he'll pout about it for days.

Anyone deal with this?
This is hard to believe. If I didn't know (you) any better (from previous postings), I would have thought someone hijacked your profile.

What about halitosis or other dental arguments? Will he listen to a professional (dentist or ENT)?

What happens if he did get his breath fixed, would that solve the problems with him? He sounds closed minded and his attitude makes him sound insecure.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
He actually hasn't been to a dentist in many years. I think I will start with that. "Why don't we both go to the dentist?" Ugh, my stomach is in knots. I just know how this conversation is going to wind up.

Thank you all so far for the responses. This is so, so embarrassing to talk about. But I am at my wits' end. Thank you so much for the input.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
He could have a condition called cryptic tonsils. They are little hollows in the back of the throat that fill up with nasty stuff that rots. He should have his throat examined. As for his dental health...if it is a case of tooth decay or gum disease..once a cavity opens up and there is a trail for bacteria to take to the point of exposing a nerve...He will have no choice but to see a dentist - pain is a great persuader.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
He actually hasn't been to a dentist in many years. I think I will start with that. "Why don't we both go to the dentist?" Ugh, my stomach is in knots. I just know how this conversation is going to wind up.

Thank you all so far for the responses. This is so, so embarrassing to talk about. But I am at my wits' end. Thank you so much for the input.

That is exactly where you need to start! He needs a check up along with a good cleaning and possibly needs to be taught proper oral hygiene.

It's hard to hurt someone you love, but he could have a serious infection going on in his mouth. Do you know that serious mouth infections can cause infections in your heart? Your blood? Your brain?

Drag him, kicking and screaming, to the dentist....he will thank you for it. I'm sure he knows his breath stinks, how can he not taste it? Call the dentist..NOW.

When you call see if you can talk to the hygienist or the nurse so can give them some background without having to openly discuss it in front of dh and making him feel bad or embarrassing him.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
This has never been an issue for me. I try do do more kissing and less smelling.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
He actually hasn't been to a dentist in many years. I think I will start with that. "Why don't we both go to the dentist?" Ugh, my stomach is in knots. I just know how this conversation is going to wind up.Thank you all so far for the responses. This is so, so embarrassing to talk about. But I am at my wits' end. Thank you so much for the input.
You know you're one of my favorite posters and I don't want to make this a bigger issue than it is, but I think you've got bigger problems than your husband's breath. I'm sorry that what ought to be a friendly, caring conversation is tying your stomach in knots. If your husband can't take a gentle comment that he needs to brush his teeth without blowing up, he must be very hard to live with.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I'm amazed that you feel you have to hint, and can't just tell him flat out that his breath stinks..Get him some mints and tell him that if he won't brush his teeth or at least have a mint...no more kissing. It's strange that he gets "VERY upset" when you bring it to his attention...and also that he won't do something about it when he knows it bothers you and your son. Why would he wanna be like that?...leave some mouth wash on the sink...every sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness