U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 AM

13,263 posts, read 31,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Poke fun at me if you want. With dehydration, the choice could be tinnitus or DEATH. This is a serious concern for someone who is easily dehydrated. My neighbor went into a coma just two hours after being dehydrated. He was in that coma for three months. When he came out of the coma, his kidneys had shut down. He was on dialysis for 6 months before they started working again. He is now disabled due to his bout with dehydration----deaf in one ear and that entire side of his body was impacted from the brain damage. I could tell you dehydration horror stories all day long. I need to weigh the benefits and risks. I haven't found much information indicating that diuretics are very successful in treating tinnitus. That's why I'm asking if anyone has had success with it. I'm not putting myself at risk of dehydration for something that might not even help the tinnitus. Even if it does, I'm not sure it's worth the risk for me.
I know this is a lot of extra work - which can make anyone say "screw it - I'll just live with ringing in my ears" - but...

Have you gotten any tests on your potassium levels, AND someone to find out *why* you are so easily dehydrated? If you're low on potassium, then you are likely to be dehydrated more often than someone who isn't. Same with if you go to extreme lengths to avoid sodium. But if you eat normally, and you're low in potassium, it might be worth your while to find out why.

It could be you have some nutritional imbalances going on, and if you do, it could be something hormonal, or even something strange happening with one of your organs.

No, none of this has anything to do with tinnitus BUT...if diuretics can help your particular problem, and you have a *different* problem that hasn't yet been discovered that causes you to be severely dehydrated - then it might benefit you to get to the bottom of that as well.

In this, I recommend a holistic approach. Find out what's causing the symptoms, and treat the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 PM

5,885 posts, read 10,456,252 times
This has been very interesting reading for me since developed my own tinnitus. I had a routine visit with my internist this morning and happened to bring it up as something new that's occurred since my last visit. I told her that I would not going to pursue a cure for it unless it got really bothersome. She checked my ears and said that there was quite a wax build-up in the right ear and offered to try to get it out. I normally end up having to go to an ENT to have my ear suctioned out, but this time they were able to get the wa out on the third try with the irrigation method. The noise in my head seems much better, but we'll see what happens tonight when I go to bed. It seems to get the loudest in the wee hours when I'm trying real hard to stay aslelep.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:32 PM

170 posts, read 442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It depends on what you call "ringing" in your years. Seek that advice of your doctor or an audiologist. If it is diagnosed as persistent tinnitus it won't be going away and there is nothing that can be done to treat it. You just get accustom to it over time.

Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears) Causes and Definition
That is word for word what my wife's doctor told her so that is what I am doing with mine. Nice of him not to come with a $100.00 a month worth of snake oil or its equivalent, though.
My wife went to get the wax cleaned out of her ears last week in the hopes it would help but there was not a speck of wax in her ears.

Last edited by 13levine; 12-28-2015 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness