U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Reputation: 30256

Advertisements

It's not like I've never had ringing before. Throughout the years it would happen for a brief period of time on rare occasions without me noticing it much except at bedtime. It started a few weeks ago. A few times it has literally woken me up in the morning. RIGHT NOW, I can hear it even though it's during the day with lots of background noises. It's really hard to concentrate. It's definitely getting louder. It very well might drive me insane.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times
Reputation: 11918
God I had this.

Do you live in a windy place?

I used to walk a lot and discovered that whenever I walked in strong wind, I got the ringing in my ears.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Reputation: 14878
It depends on what you call "ringing" in your years. Seek that advice of your doctor or an audiologist. If it is diagnosed as persistent tinnitus it won't be going away and there is nothing that can be done to treat it. You just get accustom to it over time.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/r...topic-overview
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Mayberry
31,572 posts, read 12,705,655 times
Reputation: 68359
Oh there are lots of threads on this subject, with no definite cure, unfortunately. I've been suffering with tinnitus for years and sometimes it's so bad, like right now the TV is on but the ringing is louder. I sleep with a fan and a sound machine, otherwise I'd never get to sleep.

I can not differentiate between the good days and bad days, if it's weather, food, medicine or whatever. Oh I can't walk in the wind, I hate the wind in my ears, drives me nuts.

I feel for you Hopes. Think if anything is different for you the past few weeks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
 
284 posts, read 580,291 times
Reputation: 204
Have you been taking more Advil or Aleve than usual? That can cause it. Does for me, and the good news is that when I cut back on the Advil the ringing is lots less noticeable.
Just my experience, not professional advice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Reputation: 10227
I'm sorry, Hopes!

I have it but not as bad as you and I find it comes and goes. Today as a matter of fact is a "bad" day for my tinnitus; I was aware of at work and while driving. Usually I only notice it at night. But it's ever been so bad that it interferes with my sleep.

Some medications can make it worse. Also you may want to have your doctor take a look to see if it isn't wax build-up. That has helped me in the past.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Reputation: 30256
Thanks for the moral support, everyone!

No wind. No medication. I've always needed a fan to sleep.

Plugging my ears diminishes it significantly.

I have a B12 deficiency that resulted in a lot neurological damage a few years ago. I hope this isn't the result of that and it eventually goes away.

I found some of the other threads. I'll definitely go to the doctor to rule out anything serious. I do suspect it's going to be a permanent part of my life. My grandmother wore hearing aids. My father never did but he had the TV on full blast and always said, "Huh?" He refused to acknowledge he had hearing loss. I read that age related hearing loss is 35% to 55% genetic.

I can't help but wonder if the ringing goes away with compete deafness. It could be considered a silver lining if it does.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Reputation: 30256
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have it but not as bad as you and I find it comes and goes. Today as a matter of fact is a "bad" day for my tinnitus; I was aware of at work and while driving. Usually I only notice it at night. But it's ever been so bad that it interferes with my sleep.
You completely described me until just a few weeks ago. Only noticed it at night. Came and went but was tolerable. Then, boom. A few times I woke up to it. And now it's like someone turned up the volume. I've always had trouble hearing if there were conflicting sounds---since I was very young. I went to a hearing doctor and my hearing tested fine. Well, they didn't test my hearing with conflicting sounds. For example, I can't understand what people are saying if water is running nearby, etc. I couldn't separate noises out and focus just on one noise. It has been that way my whole life. But now this ringing is a noise is the running water---the noise I can't separate out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Mayberry
31,572 posts, read 12,705,655 times
Reputation: 68359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the moral support, everyone!

No wind. No medication. I've always needed a fan to sleep.

Plugging my ears diminishes it significantly.

I have a B12 deficiency that resulted in a lot neurological damage a few years ago. I hope this isn't the result of that and it eventually goes away.

I found some of the other threads. I'll definitely go to the doctor to rule out anything serious. I do suspect it's going to be a permanent part of my life. My grandmother wore hearing aids. My father never did but he had the TV on full blast and always said, "Huh?" He refused to acknowledge he had hearing loss. I read that age related hearing loss is 35% to 55% genetic.

I can't help but wonder if the ringing goes away with compete deafness. It could be considered a silver lining if it does.



Nope, I heard it doesn't, because at times I felt, I would rather be deaf then have this tinnitus. I find myself turning the TV up at night, because if I turn it on in the morning, it's always way too loud
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
Reputation: 10227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You completely described me until just a few weeks ago. Only noticed it at night. Came and went but was tolerable. Then, boom. A few times I woke up to it. And now it's like someone turned up the volume. I've always had trouble hearing if there were conflicting sounds---since I was very young. I went to a hearing doctor and my hearing tested fine. Well, they didn't test my hearing with conflicting sounds. For example, I can't understand what people are saying if water is running nearby, etc. I couldn't separate noises out and focus just on one noise. It has been that way my whole life. But now this ringing is a noise is the running water---the noise I can't separate out.
Oh my gosh, that is exactly me. With the conflicting sounds thing and having a hard time discriminating, or filtering out background noise...that has been going on for over 20 years (I'm 55 now.) I'm a very social person but parties or groups or dinners with a lot of people....well I just do a whole lot of nodding and smiling and not so much socializing. Talking on the phone has become a pain because unless I am in an utterly quiet place I can't hear, I always seem to need the TV louder than other people, etc.

It was my father as well so I believe it's genetic; it may actually be neurological (as in the auditory system doesn't send the right messages to the brain) and not specifically a hearing issue. My aunt and grandmother both had/have hearing problems so it seems to run in the family.

Did you have a lot of ear infections as a kid? I did, and my tonsils were taken out as a result. I've been told I have a lot of "scar tissue" around my ear drums but really I've had no issues for over 40 years but the tinnitus has been sort of A Thing for the last 2-3 years.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top