U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 04:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 9,622,765 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bump this old thread but I was searching for it and surprised I found one on it. I used to get these weekly as a teenager and they sucked so bad. I get the blind spots or what I call them as pulsating spider webs in my vision. And I'm basically blind for 30 minutes and then the ultimate headache starts when they go away. Unfortunately they came back and now I get them a few times a year. Luckily it hasn't happened at work but it's only a matter of time and when it does I will need to leave as my headache is pretty bad. I can't move as it hurts way to much. I've tried every kind of OTC pain reliever and none of it works. The only thing that does is to take a few sleeping pills and just wait until they kick in. Going to sleep is the only remedy and when I wake up I feel completely drained.

I did some reading and the good news is when I get to 50 they are less likely to happen
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,406,404 times
I get occular migraines, and sometimes no headache follows. My aura includes squiggly lights and a narrowing visual field along with numbness in one limb (alternates). They are worse during extreme stress (ie. no sleep, lots of caffeine due to workload), but they also occurred 5-6 times during my last pregnancy (and then never returned). Definitely some kind of hormonal component. Been to ophthamologist and neurologist, had an MRI, definitely occular migraines.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 AM

14,945 posts, read 4,166,852 times
I've been having the ocular migraines for a few years now. I think the trigger is staring at the laptop screen for too long (I never used to get them when I didn't have a computer). It starts as a jagged, sparkly circle of visual distortion in the center of my vision, as if I am looking through broken glass. It's like a blind spot. The jagged, sparkly circle then starts to expand outward until it has reached my peripheral vision, then disappears. It's ring-shaped with normal vision in the center once it starts expanding. It takes about 30 minutes from beginning to end, and there is never any headache or other discomfort of any sort other than not being able to see normally. I mentioned it to my optician at my last exam, but she didn't seem to be concerned.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 10-13-2013 at 02:18 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Status: "Kind or right? Kind is always right." (set 15 days ago)

35,982 posts, read 26,667,001 times
I used to have these, and they were awful and always followed by an equally incapacitating migraine headache - if I was "struck" with one, I couldn't drive, couldn't talk, couldn't open my eyes, or move without excruciating pain. I got these three or four times a year, always coinciding with my periods. I also got them during the first trimester of my pregnancies.

Thank God these went completely away the very instant I had a complete hysterectomy at age 39. I haven't had one since and I'm 52 now. It's great!

The weird thing is, the eye they always started in (my left eye) is still "weird." What I mean is that I have terrible night vision in that one eye. I literally can barely see anything out of this eye at night, but it's actually my "better" eye when it comes to day vision. Strange. Also, that eye tires more easily than the other and is just more sensitive.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:28 AM

2,749 posts, read 3,747,082 times
I get these frequently and it didn't start until about 2004. For some odd reason when I got in my late 30s they started increasing until I was ultimately getting them about every other day. Weird, because men tend to have them less and I'm middle-aged. I also get Hemiplegic Migraines which cause stroke-like numbness on my left arm and leg and on the skin on my face and room-spinning vertigo.

I used to discount how bad migraines could be (when I was a teen they just gave me a dull headache and I only got a couple a year - no big deal). Now I realize how debilitating they are. Changes in weather, strong odors, stress, poor sleep, loud noise all can trigger mine. Sometimes for no identifiable reason at all. Just woke up with an aura this morning. I'm actually disabled with them now. The UC San Francisco Medical Center can't find anything to stop them or decrease the frequency. Migraine headaches have basically ruined my life. I know there are those who say "Disabled by migraines? Yeah, right", but it can happen if they occur often enough. I had a great career as an accountant with a home two blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Now I'm living on disability and had to move to a much cheaper part of the state that I never wanted to live in again just because family is nearby.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 4,749,439 times
Yes.. the spot starts in one point in the field of vision and spreads outward like an atomic blast in a circular manner, seemingly getting wider as it spreads to the peripheral vision.. eventually it just goes away after it reaches the end of the peripheral vision. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

I just ignore them and go about my business.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 PM

532 posts, read 597,421 times
I started getting them in my 20's, 30 years ago. My eye Dr called them classic, but over the years they have changed and now sometimes sound like yours do.

I used to totally stress out especially if I was not home, I would almost always have to go home from work because of the terrible headache.

I never saw a Dr for them or took anything other than Tylenol.

My triggers were salt, stress and bright lights.

I read that as you get older they tend to get better, I found this to be true for me.

I still get them, maybe 3 in a week (I stress out over many things), or none for weeks, rarely get a headache anymore, and the obstructed vision/lines last anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. I think not stressing out and knowing there is no headache have helped me deal with them.

I don't even mention it even if I'm at work, if I can't do my work until the vision clears I just wait, maybe talk a walk to the breakroom or the ladies room and then back to work.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 PM

19,109 posts, read 19,897,366 times
I started getting them as a result of taking Prednisone. At one point they were bad enough to cause me to loose my vision and after they left I would suffer from aphasia. I finally found a neurologist who prescribed Topomax and the problem was solved.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 13,558,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread but I was searching for it and surprised I found one on it. I used to get these weekly as a teenager and they sucked so bad. I get the blind spots or what I call them as pulsating spider webs in my vision. And I'm basically blind for 30 minutes and then the ultimate headache starts when they go away. Unfortunately they came back and now I get them a few times a year. Luckily it hasn't happened at work but it's only a matter of time and when it does I will need to leave as my headache is pretty bad. I can't move as it hurts way to much. I've tried every kind of OTC pain reliever and none of it works. The only thing that does is to take a few sleeping pills and just wait until they kick in. Going to sleep is the only remedy and when I wake up I feel completely drained.

I did some reading and the good news is when I get to 50 they are less likely to happen
I didn't start getting them until my late teens and now that I'm in my 50s I don't get them as often but that could just be because I know what my trigger is (bright or flashing lights), as I said upthread, and am now better at avoiding them.
When I was going through menopause the frequency spiked so maybe there's a hormonal factor?
Used to get them several times a month, now...maybe once every couple of months.

Mine do not come with a headache, just the aura for about 5-30 minutes. A minor inconvenience. Worst that's ever happened is a few times I've been driving and have pulled over until it passed because the shimmering and loss of peripheral vision is disorienting

Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM

18,435 posts, read 26,691,320 times
I do get them, and I also have a history of epilepsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness