U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM

20 posts, read 59,466 times

Advertisements

I've been getting these from time to time since my mid-20's. I'm 43 now, so I'm reasonably sure that if it was anything serious, I wouldn't be here typing this post! They're either a flashing zig zag that moves across my field of vision, or a swirling prism that starts in the center of my field of vision and moves outward. The first time I got one, it scared me to death. I thought it was a brain tumor. Turns out we have a family history- my dad gets them, and his mother used to get terrible cluster headaches. I am eternally thankful that the light show is the only symptom I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,355,970 times
I only got them for a few days, months ago. I was drinking a lot of coffee and I started drinking less coffee after I figured coffee could be the cause. I would get the headache too.

I still get migraines but not occular.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM

37 posts, read 40,961 times
I used to get wicked migraines. I would usually just have to sleep it off and wake up feeling like a mixture of garbage and good bcuz of the nap.
Then one day I noticed this stop sign looked weird, and if I wasn't looking at things, there'd be some black areas. I knew from reading that if you go partially blind that your brain will fill in the gaps.
After the blindness or sometimes with it, my hand would go numb and then my arm, and then a horrible migraine.
I saw a doctor, got my blood tested and I think an xray but then he dropped it, saying "I don't know why you get migraines."
Then they just stopped coming. I used to get them once a month, I could count on it. And then I realized they weren't happening anymore, I'm so glad! Still don't know why I got them.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,465,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
They are also called Migraines with Aura.

It starts with a strange disruption in vision (for me) around the bottom middle of my eyesight (in both eyes).

It looks like some one smudged my vision in that spot, or like a broken LCD screen. It's very strange...

After a few minutes that spot widens, and widens some more until about 30 minutes then it goes away.

Then right after I have a migrane for the rest of the day. I actually have the headache right now, but it's not too bad.

I read that if you have epilepsy in your family (my mom had it) that you're more likely to get these sorts of headaches.

Caffeine and high levels of stress also trigger them in me as well.

And I've only had them a handful of times.

Just curious on those of you who may have had this and what you do to deal with it.
I get two or three of these every year. They are both debilitating and frightening. During the peak of the aura I'm essentially blind. Mine are pretty much exactly the same as yours in detail and duration. Usually a moderate headache and an overall flushed feeling follows for the remainder of the day. Oddly, I feel very clear-headed afterward. Hard to explain, but it's almost like my migraines dump some form of negative energy that I'd been building up over the preceding months. I feel markedly more energetic in the days after having had one.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,669,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcatfish View Post
They're either a flashing zig zag that moves across my field of vision, or a swirling prism that starts in the center of my field of vision and moves outward. The first time I got one, it scared me to death. I thought it was a brain tumor.
Huh, I'm glad I found this thread. Those resemble my symptoms, too.

-Occurred about 4 times over a 6 month period, the last one was in May.
-No headache that I recall, but I've never had migraines.
-What I saw was kinda like a rainbow or...well... the MS windows logo.
-It was amazingly vivid and dynamic, colorful shape shifting etc
-"Kaleidoscopic" best describes it. Fascinating.
-Like the others have posted, it grew and grew, and then dissipated about 30 minutes later.

Subsequent brain MRI scan revealed no tumors.

Doctors shrugged, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness