Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

After six months of immense stress, I find myself with a case of shingles at age 38. I had chicken pox when I was 7-9 years old. I don't recall exactly when, but I have the scars to prove it.

Anyhow I did an intense workout after work on Friday and by the evening I was feeling a little stitch under my ribs on my right side. I attributed it to soreness after the workout, but the pain never eased off and wrapped around to the back, where I was also feeling itchy. I checked it out in the mirror expecting to see a dry rough patch of skin, but saw what looked like BACKNE. I shrugged it off. The following day I developed a rash under my ribs on my right side, and it formed little blisters by Sunday night.

So the odds are excellent that this is shingles; the symptoms all fit. And it's too late for antiviral drugs to be effective enough to bother. At times I feel flu-ish, tired, and lightheaded. The back pain is just barely manageable with ibuprofen, and I'm not sleeping very well due to the discomfort. I'm going to work and doing workouts as normal, though they are immensely difficult right now due to lightheadness from exertion and coping with less sleep.

Basically what I'd like to know is...what can I expect over the next few weeks, and has anyone else here experienced shingles at such a young age? What OTC/home remedies did you find most effective?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Slow down and take it easy for a while. Your body needs the rest.

If you are still developing new blisters, prescription antiviral medication may be of some benefit, though it is true the med works better if you start it sooner.

There are also prescription pain meds that can help. DH found Lyrica helpful when he had it.

Some docs will prescribe prednisone, to help decrease the inflammation, if you have no contraindications to it.

Topical capsaicin is helpful for some folks, used after all the blisters have crusted over, though it is unpleasant to use and should be avoided if you take some medications:

The Use of Capsaicin for Shingles | LIVESTRONG.COM

You really should see a doc for this.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Shingles Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic site on shingles.

You say that you've been going to work? You may be contagious. You should see your doctor. Usually shingles is seen in much older people.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Shingles are not for old folks anymore, more young people are getting shingles.
Shingles Cases On The Rise In Young People « CBS Miami

My wife developed shingles. The moment we discovered it we called our dermatologist, and she had my wife come in immediately. Doc said that by catching it right away immediate treatment can be started and pain would be minimized. Within 2 weeks it was all over..

Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Shingles Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic site on shingles.

You say that you've been going to work? You may be contagious. You should see your doctor. Usually shingles is seen in much older people.

Although shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus, it is unlikely to spread except by direct contact with the blisters. Keeping the rash covered is sufficient.

The only one who would be susceptible to getting it would be someone who has never had chickenpox or who has not had chickenpox vaccine. That person could catch it, but the result would be chickenpox, not shingles.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I just started a new job last week where I'm CTH (contract to hire) and my insurance is major medical only. I don't have a doctor I can go to. I'm on my own unless I want to be hundreds or thousands out of pocket.

I'm choosing to go it alone; if I had decent healthcare I'd see a doctor, but I don't. So...there's that.

One thing I've noticed is since I developed a rash on Sunday, I have also been constipated and have started to bloat and have gained four pounds in four days. THAT is bothering me the MOST! I think my discomfort would be lessened if I wasn't constipated!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Could you go to a walk-in clinic type place? You'd be out only $100 plus Rx.

I had shingles when I was 23 (and don't think 38 sounds on the young side at all - lots of my peers got it in college!). The pain was so severe that I couldn't wear clothes for over a week and had to take that time off of work. From my waist down my hip and outer thigh, any pressure on the skin was unbearable. Luckily it was the summer because I couldn't even handle the pressure of a sheet over me in bed.

My doctor had to put me on neurontin to lessen the symptoms. It took about 3 weeks for the pain to go away completely, but at least I was able to handle going back to work after the first week. 3 years later, I still don't have much feeling to the touch in that area and it often aches.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
My brother has had it 3 times already and he's not even 30. The doctor gave him co-codemol (paracetamol and codeine) for the pain.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I think you really should go to a clinic or urgent care, someplace to be looked at. It might not be too late for the pills, which do lessen the severity. If you are at work, you should advise your HR person, as to how to handle. I stayed home for a week. And I would avoid any pregnant women.

The poster who wrote this is right...The only one who would be susceptible to getting it would be someone who has never had chickenpox or who has not had chickenpox vaccine. That person could catch it, but the result would be chickenpox, not shingles.... But today you don't know who has had CP and who hasn't because people from other countries may not be vacinnated for CP the way most younger people in the US are today.

You could just take a mild laxative for the other issue. I also bought some pain relief gel at Target, can't remember the name of it but it's a clear gel, kind of sticky, but it worked pretty well as far as numbing the pain.

Shingles can last a long time, usually months, and you may experience kind of a "phantom" pain for a long time afterwarsds even though the blisters are healed,.that's pretty common as well. Not fun.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
I would urge the OP to go to a walk in clinic at least, or a regular clinic preferred. You really need to be seen. The symptoms can still be minimized and it will go away much more quickly if you are treated. I had it, and had the shot afterwards, because you can get it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness