U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,622,743 times

Advertisements

I am a bit unusual in the fact that I strongly dislike spring and summer seasons. Ok, more than dislike I pretty much loathe them and start dreading them around January.

When spring and summer are in effect I feel drained, some what down, and could possibly say some what agitated. I prefer to stay inside with the curtains drawn and AC on (yes I do turn my AC on in March, I live in Arkansas which can have some pretty warm temps in March and I want nothing to do with being hot) and I do not enjoy the fact that it stays light until 8pm. I have noticed that my body tends to hurt more during those seasons as well.

During the Fall and Winter seasons I have a lot more energy, I feel refreshed and in general seem to function better. I also enjoy that it gets dark earlier because I feel more energetic when it is dark vs daylight.

I am pretty sure I have some degree of SAD during spring and summer.

Surely I am not the only one, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,513,026 times
I grew up in the south and I hate hot, humid weather. I feel best when things are cool and dry.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,732,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am a bit unusual in the fact that I strongly dislike spring and summer seasons. Ok, more than dislike I pretty much loathe them and start dreading them around January.

When spring and summer are in effect I feel drained, some what down, and could possibly say some what agitated. I prefer to stay inside with the curtains drawn and AC on (yes I do turn my AC on in March, I live in Arkansas which can have some pretty warm temps in March and I want nothing to do with being hot) and I do not enjoy the fact that it stays light until 8pm. I have noticed that my body tends to hurt more during those seasons as well.

During the Fall and Winter seasons I have a lot more energy, I feel refreshed and in general seem to function better. I also enjoy that it gets dark earlier because I feel more energetic when it is dark vs daylight.

I am pretty sure I have some degree of SAD during spring and summer.

Surely I am not the only one, right?
I want to ask if you are in decent physical shape. Overweight? Regular exercise?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,622,743 times
Kind of personal but yes I am in decent shape. I'm not sure what my physical shape has to do with feeling out of sorts during the warmer months. I say out of sorts because it's more than just being hot from the warmer temps.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 AM

306 posts, read 548,925 times
I hate spring and summer. The autumn and winter seasons are best for me! Bright stars, blue skies, cool air, snowfall, long nights, less stress, more relaxed, less irritable, no sweat, refreshed...gotta love it!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,008,641 times
"Surely I am not the only one, right?" Nope, you sure aren't the only one. Spring here brings hot northerly winds and summer is just too damn arid and hot. Love autumn with nice sunny days but not too hot and with cool evenings, and love winter when it's raining and cold. I am probly like this cos we get about 360 days a year of that fireball in the sky trying to burn the life out of everything.

We don't get snow in our particular part of the country so I don't know what that's like? Pretty muddy and ugly I guess when it starts to melt.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM

10,683 posts, read 14,594,089 times
I wilt in the heat. Post-chemo, my body doesn't function properly under 50ish degrees or above 75/80 (lower if humid). In the winter, I bundle up and stay under an electric blanket as much as possible. In the summer, it's harder to manage. I don't currently have a window AC because I a) can't afford to buy one and b) can't really afford to pay for the cost of electricity to run one of the older ones friends and coworkers have in their basements. I live in the Boston area, so most summers are pretty mild, but living on the 2nd floor of 2 means much of the heat rises up to us. I spend as much time at my boyfriend's house as I can in the summer because he lives on the 2nd floor of 3 and his windows overlook a forest so he gets a good breeze. I just get a view of my next door neighbor's kitchen. :P

Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 AM

13,263 posts, read 31,815,202 times
I'm not good with humidity -or- cold temperatures. Dry heat I'm fine with, no problems at all, I actually enjoy it. But I live in New England, and I am generally miserable during much of the summer. My bones hurt, my back hurts, I feel lethargic and tired, but too restless to rest. It's very frustrating. When the air is crisp (autumn and early spring) I'm good to go. Hardly any physical discomfort at all. In the winter I bundle up but my toes, fingers, and nose are like ice til the thaw. I take hot showers just to warm up my extremeties and they're like ice again an hour after I get out of the shower.

It doesn't matter to me what the temperature is, when it's warm. It's the humidity that knocks me for a loop. Temperature is only a big deal for me when it's cold.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM

75 posts, read 59,701 times
For the longest time I was convinced I had lupus or something but tests always came up negative. Even was I was a little kid, I always felt so drained after just a few minutes out in sunny weather, but at night or in cloudy weather I'm totally on my A Game. I've come to the conclusion that I am probably just hyper-sensitive to sunlight. You know how your vision is effected after having your pupils dilated by an eye doctor? Well, that's how my eyes feel when I've been outside in moderately sunny weather, and I'll feeling nauseous and completely exhausted for the rest of the day. What really helped is got myself a really good pair of sunglasses with 100% UV protection, then top it off with a wide-brimmed hat whenever I'm outside.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM

64,565 posts, read 71,867,716 times
I don't think any of us really love the heat in mid summer, no matter where we live. For me, the humidity from now til about the end of August will bother me, but it isn't nearly as bad as the deep south. I just try to spend as much time inside as possible. As for winter, pretty much the same. I do not like days in the 20s and 30s, but 50ish is fine.

For me, the ideal season is fall, and yes, I love the spring, with the beautiful flowers, the green grass and the warming of the nights, but what I don't like, is knowing spring is followed by summer. Of course the beauty of summer, is the garden, and the wonderful wild animals that make our back yard their home and the dozens of birds that come to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness