U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times

Advertisements

Yes I have a good old fashioned slipped disc.

It is incredibly painful.

Advice anyone? Right now I'm popping painkillers and anti inflammatories but it still hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
1. If your painkillers have tylenol or aspirin in them, you should absolutely positively not combine them with additional anti-inflammatories. If they don't already have tylenol or aspirin in them, you should focus primarily on the anti-inflammatories, and take the painkillers maybe only just before bedtime to help you sleep.

2. Get a referral for graduated physical therapy.

3. As long as there aren't any progressive neurological issues, consider a short-term series (no more than 2 months worth, a couple times per week) of chiropractic treatments.

4. Get a lumbar support pillow if your chair doesn't already come with lumbar support. If you normally relax on a couch at home, try not to do that while you recover.

5. IF you are limber and flexible...consider sitting in a semi-lotus position, whenever you need to sit down. You don't need to have both feet up over a thigh - you can have one up, one under, or both under aka "indian sitting." What this does, is it takes pressure off your siatica nerve, and forces your spine into an erect, correct posture. Sitting on a horse does the same thing; it's pretty difficult to slump when you're on a horse. Same concept here. If your spine is positioned properly and "propped up" by some means other than itself, you won't feel the strain as severely. If you're not limber and flexible, don't do this; you could pull your groin muscle and then you'd be in deep doodoo I sit this way even on my computer chair, because I have degenerative disc disease and osteopenia of the spine and hip, and scar tissue on my thigh bone -right- around the spot where it normally would hit the edge of the chair if I put my feet down. So it hurts for me to sit normally, and the pain is really negligible when I sit in a half-lotus (one foot on my thigh, the other foot under the other one).

If you're overweight, lose some of it. If you smoke, quit. If you drink a lot, well - while you're taking painkillers you shouldn't drink at all - but reducing your alcohol consumption can help even if you don't take the painkillers. All of these things can contribute to pain, when you have a herniated disc.

Cortisone shots and surgery are options too but if it were me, I'd wait it out. If the pain doesn't start subsiding within the next month, add one of the other therapies I mentioned. If it still shows no improvement within the month after that, then definitely ask your doctor about a cortisone shot. Surgery should be a last resort if all else fails, with cortisone being a close second.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
Thanks...I will try these suggestions.

It is incredibly painful, almost like labour pain.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM

9,164 posts, read 16,515,249 times
If it's pinching a nerve (you feel pain in a leg or foot) be careful how long you delay surgery. Many want you to delay, delay, delay. I'm not suggesting that you insist on surgery the first time you get a back ache, but delaying it too long can cause nerve damage that never heals. I put off my second back surgery about 20 years ago for a little too long. I got a limp out of it from nerve damage. I thought it would improve with enough exercise, but instead it's gotten worse over the years. I no longer can play golf or fly fish because there's not enough strength in my right ankle to handle rough or sloped ground. Before the surgery I walked 50-60 miles per week (10 miles each evening), but since then I have trouble walking around the block.

On the other hand, I completely understand the reasons for not jumping into surgery. Surgery leaves scar tissue, and that in itself can cause pain, and if you need a second surgery, that's more scar tissue. My dad had back surgery when he was 40 and again when he was 85. He never regained the use of his legs after the second one.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 AM

523 posts, read 3,279,668 times
Quote:
1. If your painkillers have tylenol or aspirin in them, you should absolutely positively not combine them with additional anti-inflammatories.
this is partially incorrect - if your are taking regular tylenol, you can happily combine with additional anti-inflammatories such as iburpofen or naproxen - acetaminophen and NSAIDs are different classes of drugs, and can be combined without concern, so long as the maximum dose of either is not exceeded. taking multiple different NSAIDs is not advisable, though.

if you are experiencing pain of a magnitude equal to labour, then you really should (if you havent already) consult a doctor - over the counter painkillers are unlikely to be sufficient.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 AM

I assumed, since the OP said he's taking both painkillers -and- anti-inflammatories, that he is already taking prescription narcotics, -and- anti-inflammatories. If he is already taking prescription narcotic painkillers, and they already have tylenol in them, then they already have a prescription dose of those things. As such, it's a really bad idea to add more anti-inflammatory drugs to the mix. Because then, he's taking three different types of pain relief products: the narcotic, the acetaminophan, and the NSAID. Combining any two would probably be fine - the tylenol and the nsaid in lower doses, if those two were combined. But combining all three is just a bad idea, especially when two of them are at a prescription dose.

That was why I prefaced what I posted with the word IF.

IF he is already taking an rx dose of tylenol combined with his prescription narcotic painkiller - THEN he should not add an NSAID.

If he isn't, then there's no problem.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM

523 posts, read 3,279,668 times
narcotics are not anti-inflammatories. you did not mention narcotics in your previous post.

you said "if your painkillers have tylenol or aspirin in them, you should absolutely not combine them with additional anti-inflammatories".

this is bad advice, and medically incorrect...even if the OP's painkillers have tylenol in them, they can safely be combined with additional anti-inflammatories, contrary to your advice.

you dont really need to argue the point - i just want to make sure the OP knows what they are safe to take in terms of medication - im less interested in debating what you did or didnt mean.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
im less interested in debating what you did or didnt mean.
Then don't.

The OP hasn't mentioned -which- anti-inflammatory meds he's taking along with his "painkillers" and hasn't specified what kind of painkiller's he's taking.

If he's taking aspirin (which is an anti-inflammatory painkiller) and naproxen, he shouldn't. Combined, can contribute to, trigger, and/or cause digestive problems, some of which can become serious.

Many narcotics *contain* anti-inflammatory drugs in them. Such as Percodan - which has asprin in it. Which is an anti-inflammatory drug.

Last edited by AnonChick; 05-20-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,438,984 times
10 days ago I had severe sciatic pain....couldn't drive, sleep, eat, work.....nothing.

Saw my Dr. the next day and he scheduled X-rays and prescribed Vicadin, Soma, and Naprosyn.

Vicadin didn't work at all.

Still on the Soma & Naprosyn and life is almost tolerable, as I get relief for about 2 hours. Still out of work.

X-rays revealed arthritis, and I realize that the sciatic pain just might be from a herniated disk.

Wonderful.

My insurance company won't approve a MRI until I have 2 weeks of muscle relaxers & anti-inflammatories in my blood.

Anyone here experience sciatica that has arthritis?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yes I have a good old fashioned slipped disc.

It is incredibly painful.

Advice anyone? Right now I'm popping painkillers and anti inflammatories but it still hurts.
Go to a doctor. If it is "incredibly" painful, you are playing with fire not seeking a medical opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness