Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 AM

168 posts, read 313,551 times

Advertisements

I had a pretty bad car crash a few days ago, the car was lost because the frontal section was gone. I called the police and they brough an ambulance with them.

I hit the head on the restraint, had about 6 or 7 bruises, several small cuts in my neck and a bigger cut in arm but felt fine. Therefore, I didn't go to the hospital even though the ambulance crew insisted with me for about an hour. They stayed until the car was removed but then I called my brother to pick me up.

The next day, however, I felt like I had been hit by a bulldozer. It was a huge sacrifice to get out of bed and I felt dizzy at work. I had to ask to leave earlier (I'll give them the extra hours later). While going down the stairs, it felt like I kept missing steps.

Apart from that, I feel fine though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,064,475 times
I would go immediately and get checked out, you may have a concussion, whiplash, or some other injury.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 AM

677 posts, read 1,190,196 times
Don't waste your time with hospitals, it's normal to feel tired. If you have the opportunity to take a few days off, please do.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Don't waste your time with hospitals, it's normal to feel tired. If you have the opportunity to take a few days off, please do.
Yes, that's what I would like to do but I've really important issues at work. I can't leave now.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I would go immediately and get checked out, you may have a concussion, whiplash, or some other injury.
I suppose these symptoms are very ambiguous so I'll wait a few more days. Besides, you have to really think if it's worth because getting it checked out might take 1 or 2 full days.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 AM

328 posts, read 680,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Yes, that's what I would like to do but I've really important issues at work. I can't leave now.
You are foolish for not going to the Hospital NOW. For two reasons--
1. Any attorney representing the other driver will use this against you by saying it was not that bad since you were no taken to the hospital (even if it turns out to be bad injury)

2. And most important is that you may NOT know the extent of your injury, and the longer you wait, the more complex and possible significant damage you can do to yourself.
Your excuse that you cannot leave work is rejected, what would haven if you became ill with the flu you would leave work---and this is potentially much worse----you do not know. If you need to, pretend it is a bad case of the flu--and walk out now, go to the hospital.

I know of someone who took the same attitude as you, to get back on the job and do his work. It eventually cost him his job because he was sick and got allot worse because he ignored it and worked--until his body said no, and recovery at that point was too difficult and long that his job was no longer there.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
1. Any attorney representing the other driver will use this against you by saying it was not that bad since you were no taken to the hospital (even if it turns out to be bad injury)

2. And most important is that you may NOT know the extent of your injury, and the longer you wait, the more complex and possible significant damage you can do to yourself.
Your excuse that you cannot leave work is rejected, what would haven if you became ill with the flu you would leave work---and this is potentially much worse----you do not know. If you need to, pretend it is a bad case of the flu--and walk out now, go to the hospital.

I know of someone who took the same attitude as you, to get back on the job and do his work. It eventually cost him his job because he was sick and got allot worse because he ignored it and worked--until his body said no, and recovery at that point was too difficult and long that his job was no longer there.
This is so true. It's not uncommon for injuries, especially whiplash, to show up days or weeks or even a month later. Get a check-up ASAP for the record.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM

20,812 posts, read 28,136,000 times
Being a former EMT I would have gone to the hospital to get checked out. Your health is the most important and the fact that you hit your head is another reason to go. You may also have whip lash.Was the cut on your arm big enough to require stiches?? Like the poster above me said you were foolish for not going to the hospital right away.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Being a former EMT I would have gone to the hospital to get checked out. Your health is the most important and the fact that you hit your head is another reason to go. You may also have whip lash.Was the cut on your arm big enough to require stiches?? Like the poster above me said you were foolish for not going to the hospital right away.
Well, I'm very adamant of not clogging up hospital's ERs. The cut in my arm still bleeds occasionaly, it was from the driver's window breaking but it seems clean. I move my neck as easily as possible, it feels like it's tired but not hurting.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I hit against a concrete barrier, there was no other driver.

Quote:

Well, to me work is an excuse. I have a number of people counting on me so I can't let them down. I've had the flu before and I went to work as well. Anything regarding hospitals takes ages and I would have half an hour at most.

I would ask my father, who is a doctor, what he thinks but he would just say I'm being a big baby because he wouldn't get any money from examining me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness