U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM

532 posts, read 814,073 times

Advertisements

In googling "osteoarthritis and weather" just now, I found a lot of conflicting stories, and it's not at all clear if there is a definite relationship, though most people think there is. I'm still looking for a place to retire and I have osteoarthritis, and in a lot of pain right now. I'm looking at a couple of places where medical marijuana is available, but one is the desert and one is in a cold area. The price of mmj in the desert is about twice that of the cold city (Denver), but I think Denver would be a bad choice because of the cold--and I also have COPD, a bit, and that would not be good at the Denver altitude. I think so, anyway....???

I currently live in a mild climate and my osteoarthritis is of recent vintage, which is why I'm not sure about whether it's affected by cold.

I wonder if I should post this in the retirement forum? I know you can get into trouble if you cross-post??

TIA

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 AM

13,263 posts, read 32,117,384 times
If you're using medical marijuana to offset the pain of osteoarthritis, why not try an extended vacation in the desert, and see if maybe you don't even need the marijuana and can thrive on something else, there? I don't know if it would depend on how severe you're affected by it, but I think it'd be worth a month in Arizona or New Mexico to find out, no?

If it turns out you don't need the marijuana, or need enough less of it that cost would no longer be an issue, then it might be worth it to you to move to the desert afterall.

That's just me though - I'm biased. If my husband (who pays the bills) wasn't so adamant about moving to Florida when we retire, I'd be in Albuequerque already, painting the walls of my new adobe home, pain-free, and maybe even going out for a ride on a horse on a trail somewhere.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're using medical marijuana to offset the pain of osteoarthritis, why not try an extended vacation in the desert, and see if maybe you don't even need the marijuana and can thrive on something else, there? I don't know if it would depend on how severe you're affected by it, but I think it'd be worth a month in Arizona or New Mexico to find out, no?

If it turns out you don't need the marijuana, or need enough less of it that cost would no longer be an issue, then it might be worth it to you to move to the desert afterall.

That's just me though - I'm biased. If my husband (who pays the bills) wasn't so adamant about moving to Florida when we retire, I'd be in Albuequerque already, painting the walls of my new adobe home, pain-free, and maybe even going out for a ride on a horse on a trail somewhere.

You seem to be implying that I'm using marijuana. But no, I'm not "using it" currently--it's illegal in my state. And I also have MS, so it's not exactly easy for me to just pop over somewhere and try it out. It would be more helpful if you would address my inquiry (i.e. -- in your experience-- does cold weather affect osteoarthritis), if you don't mind.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
You seem to be implying that I'm using marijuana. But no, I'm not "using it" currently--it's illegal in my state. And I also have MS, so it's not exactly easy for me to just pop over somewhere and try it out. It would be more helpful if you would address my inquiry (i.e. -- in your experience-- does cold weather affect osteoarthritis), if you don't mind.
wow, I think she was just giving you a suggestion or two: As for helping OA, yes, the dry heat does help. Most of us with even a little in our knees, ankles, hips, whatever, feel better in a drier climate. Does this mean we should all move to AZ or NM? of course not, but the more humidity in the air or the very cold winters do make moving around a little more difficult.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM

If you aren't planning or intending or wanting to make use of medical marijuana, why did you include -this- in your post?

Quote:
I'm looking at a couple of places where medical marijuana is available, but one is the desert and one is in a cold area.
What I gathered from your post was:

You're looking to move.
You're experiencing pain from osteoarthritis.
You're interested in medical marijuana.
You've narrowed your choices down to two places that allow the use of medical marijuana - one in the desert, one in colder climate. Your concern regarding the desert option was the cost of medical marijuana.
You are asking people for their opinion about those two specific options.

I offered that dry heat can help with osteoarthritis, and you might find that you don't need as much marijuana in the desert, thus off-setting the cost, as compared to the potentially greater useage in a lower-cost climate.

You seem to be getting your back up in defense about something. Not sure what. I make no judgement regarding the legal use of medical marijuana. I consider it valid medicine, and applaud those states that have legalized it, and hope to see the feds relax their stance on it.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Most people do say that warmer, dryer weather is better for this condition, but studies don't confirm that.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM

5,109 posts, read 7,405,107 times
I have very bad osteoarthritis, deg. disc disease, scoliosis, and a bunch of other maladies that give me pain. I think the warm weather here does not have any advantages over the cold of Denver where I also lived. By the way, Denver isn't nearly as cold as say Chicago, where I also lived and suffered alot during the winter.

You won't get approved for medical marijuana with osteoarthitis here. You very nearly won't get approved for anything besides tylenol. Even with the MS unless it is your doc's recommendation, and that's not easy to get.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I have very bad osteoarthritis, deg. disc disease, scoliosis, and a bunch of other maladies that give me pain. I think the warm weather here does not have any advantages over the cold of Denver where I also lived. By the way, Denver isn't nearly as cold as say Chicago, where I also lived and suffered alot during the winter.

You won't get approved for medical marijuana with osteoarthitis here. You very nearly won't get approved for anything besides tylenol. Even with the MS unless it is your doc's recommendation, and that's not easy to get.
By "here" you mean Arizona? My degenerative osteoarthritis is secondary to chemotherapy and I'm pretty sure I could get mmj in either New Mexico or Denver. If not, it would be a perfectly horrible disaster (your post caused a cascade of depression this morning, until I reread your post and realized you were probably referring to Arizona); the cost and effort of moving is substantial, given that I have to pay people to do it all.

Moving is very, very hard, but I want to get out of tornado alley, into a warm climate, and get mmj; there are other reasons, too. I think Denver is contraindicated, given my COPD, OArth., and MS (my walk is very unstable).

Old 05-25-2013, 11:37 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
By "here" you mean Arizona? My degenerative osteoarthritis is secondary to chemotherapy and I'm pretty sure I could get mmj in either New Mexico or Denver. If not, it would be a perfectly horrible disaster (your post caused a cascade of depression this morning, until I reread your post and realized you were probably referring to Arizona); the cost and effort of moving is substantial, given that I have to pay people to do it all.

Moving is very, very hard, but I want to get out of tornado alley, into a warm climate, and get mmj; there are other reasons, too. I think Denver is contraindicated, given my COPD, OArth., and MS (my walk is very unstable).
I am going to have to ask you: what makes you think you can get MMJ in NM? I lived there for years and have a lot of friends who are still there...None of them have heard that to be the case. Are you getting your information, based on research and fact or just what you have heard via the rumor mill?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Medical cannabis is available in New Mexico for patients with MS (which the OP has). The patient has to jump through a whole lot of hoops, and it's only available at state-authorized non-profit suppliers, and the caregiver has to be licensed specifically for it, and there's a lengthy application process.

Here's the website for the state's MC program:
Medical Cannabis Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness