U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM
 
1 posts, read 19,744 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
I need the joint on my big toe replaced and my Dr. has not provided any info as to what to expect. First of all, it just seems funny that a toe would get a joint replaced. The only website that I could find with any real info stated that a joint replacement is not recomended for an active person.
Questions:
1) heal time
2) better off after or before replacement
3) how long does the joint last
4) problems
I feel lucky that my only health problem is a sore toe!
Hi, I have just had a toe joint replaced last week. I am suffering from osteo arthritus and the joint became stiff and painfull. It was a painfull operation and I am manageing to hobble around but I will let you know the outcome if you want. It is only 6 days ago I had it done so still a lot of physio ahead.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
 
1 posts, read 19,679 times
Reputation: 15
Default toe joint replacement

I have to have a toe joint replacement tomorrow and ive been scared. My new joint will be made of chromium colbalt and the doctor says i should have normal movement in my joint. Right now arthritis has destroyed my joint and it is stiff and i cant bend it. He said if i dont get it done eventually my ankle knee and hip then back will go out because i have been walking on my side of my foot. So he says i really need to do it. Has anyone have this done yet. Thanks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 19,406 times
Reputation: 13
Question your toe surgery

I just came across your post re toe joint replacment..I will be
needing a similar surgery. How has the surgery turned out?
Are you able to walk with relatively nomal gate.
If you will please Moderator cut: no email addresses
Important. Am even considering a medical journey.
am having severe toe pain due to osteoarthritis.

Thank you. Ruth

Last edited by Suzet2262; 06-19-2008 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: no posting email addresses
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,292,213 times
Reputation: 437
I am needing to have the same thing done because I have severe arthritis in my big toe joint, though I am just not ready to do it yet. I have heard that it is a very sucessful type of procedure for the most part. A friend of mine has a cousin who had it done and she is a runner. After about 8 weeks she was running again and is still running and otherwise very active. Are you going to a podiatrist? I have had much better results with podiatrists for this problem than with orthopaedic doctors. Let us know what you decide to do.

Nancy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
 
2,590 posts, read 6,363,997 times
Reputation: 3706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I am needing to have the same thing done because I have severe arthritis in my big toe joint, though I am just not ready to do it yet. I have heard that it is a very sucessful type of procedure for the most part. A friend of mine has a cousin who had it done and she is a runner. After about 8 weeks she was running again and is still running and otherwise very active. Are you going to a podiatrist? I have had much better results with podiatrists for this problem than with orthopaedic doctors. Let us know what you decide to do.

Nancy
Despite what you are reading here, toe joint replacements are not commonly performed....at least not by Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeons...

I wouldn't consider a podiatrist for a joint replacement....any joint replacement can potentially become a disaster, I would rather have a surgeon performing the procedure than a podiatrist.

Also, not usually recommended for highly active folks, fusion is usually the better alternative.

Really research this before signing on...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Spring, Texas
406 posts, read 1,120,966 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs g View Post
Hi, I have just had a toe joint replaced last week. I am suffering from osteo arthritus and the joint became stiff and painfull. It was a painfull operation and I am manageing to hobble around but I will let you know the outcome if you want. It is only 6 days ago I had it done so still a lot of physio ahead.
I'm glad I read this thread...I've had problems with my big toe for the past 5 years. The family doctor thought it was gout! As I eat a healthy diet I find that hard to believe. After reading through this post I'm guessing it could have been related to my breaking it as a kid... and now have some arthritus in the joint. It doesn't flex correctly & feels as if it pops slightly out of joint whenever it's over used...very painful.

Thank you for disussing this...Sunny
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
 
3,220 posts, read 4,059,127 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I'm glad I read this thread...I've had problems with my big toe for the past 5 years. The family doctor thought it was gout! As I eat a healthy diet I find that hard to believe. After reading through this post I'm guessing it could have been related to my breaking it as a kid... and now have some arthritus in the joint. It doesn't flex correctly & feels as if it pops slightly out of joint whenever it's over used...very painful.

Thank you for disussing this...Sunny
You wouldn't still also be wearing mid to high heeled shoes?
-and-
Especially if the toe box area is narrow.

I've been told by my friend that many women that wear such shoes in their youth can suffer an inward pointing big toe when they get older and the joint(s) in that toe suffer b/c of alignment issues.

I hope that you resolve your toe problem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,292,213 times
Reputation: 437
Originally posted by Bluedeviz

Despite what you are reading here, toe joint replacements are not commonly performed....at least not by Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeons...

I wouldn't consider a podiatrist for a joint replacement....any joint replacement can potentially become a disaster, I would rather have a surgeon performing the procedure than a podiatrist.

Also, not usually recommended for highly active folks, fusion is usually the better alternative.

Really research this before signing on...

I am simply stating my personal experience, and my opinion, not what research necessarily says. Perhaps you would not want a podiatist to do this, but in my experience I have had much better results with foot issues when dealing with podiatrists than with orthopedic surgeons. I totally trust my podiatrist and am planning to allow him to the joint replacement, which he will do when I am ready. This may not be the right decision for everyone with this problem, but again, it is my opinion and suggestion to the OP for consideration. In the end the OP is the one who has to make that decision.

Nancy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 18,429 times
Reputation: 14
Default toe joint replacement

I had toe joint replacement in 2004 after years of discomfort. I had arthritis as a result of a broken toe as a teenager. As a avid walker it became increasingly difficult to walk and I had difficulty with swelling and pain. It became difficult to find shoes to fit. There were no drugs that would take care of it so I decided on surgery. The downtime was somewhat difficult (2-4 weeks) but worth it. I started out swimming for exercise instead of walking after 6 weeks. i have been very happy with the results except for one thing. After 3 years my big toe has begun to turn inward and I cannot press down with that muscle. I can move it if I concentrate but it is difficult. Also, my toe has begun to develop a bunion type shape on the top and now it is again difficult to fit shoes. However at least I am in no pain.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
 
4 posts, read 35,198 times
Reputation: 12
I am due to have a toe joint replacement this month March 09 I must admit that I am afrade to have this done but have been told that the joint is too damaged to fuse please wish me luck thank you peggie

Last edited by frainpeggie; 03-01-2009 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top