Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 AM
H50

1 posts, read 4,155 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the posts and thought I would encourage others to consider this surgery but make sure your podiatrist is experienced! In June 2011 I had my first titanium implant done on my big toe and was up walking with the surgery boot the day after. Spent time with the foot elevated for a week. I then had the second big toe done three weeks after the first. This was a lot harder as I was needing to rely on the first foot to take the weight. I had to literally crawl to the bathroom for a couple of days after the second surgery!
The second toe was a lot more painful and took longer to recover from and I was off work for a couple of months. Had it just been the one toe I would have been back at work within a couple of weeks.
It was a tough couple of months but I had been in so much pain before the surgery - not being able to walk for longer than 15 minutes and in chronic pain - that I believe the couple of months of pain after the surgery was more than worth the outcome. I had suffered pain for at least 10 years and had no idea this surgery existed until I met my podiatrist.
A year later I can walk indefinitely with little discomfort. My toes are now fairly flexible but I can't see me enjoying high heels any time soon (by the way it was wearing stiletto heels to work for over ten years that I believe caused this problem in the first place!) I couldn't walk in my bare feet before the surgery because my toes were so painful. I feel I have regained a normal life again and will be forever grateful to my podiatrist who has been performing this surgery for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
I had a total toe joint replacement in my big toe two months agao. The toe is moving well and the swelling is almost gone. I am having trouble walking on it without pain. It is very tender on the bottom of my foot under the big toe joint. I think it is healing very well but how long will it take to completely heal with no pain. ...does anyone out there know or have had this experience. Will I have to live with this pain?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 30,535 times
I am beginning to think that I will always have pain. My surgery was December 1st. It is now more than 8 months later and I still have pain. The pain under the toe is most likely from the sesmoids - two tiny bones that are right under the toe joint. I have that pain on and off. Although I can now wear shoes that I could not wear before the surgery, the toe is still very stiff and there is very little range of motion. The doctor tells me that the joint moved freely in the operating room, so there is no reason it shouldn't move now, other than surrounding scar tissue. I have to assume that during the 12 days after surgery that it was wrapped up and I couldn't start the exercises, the scar tissue formed. I have tried physical therapy and that was a complete waste of time and money. The doctor has thrown his hands up, saying there is nothing more he can do. Twice a day I take a band and do exercises where I pull the toe back as far as I can. This helps a bit. If I skip a day or two, it stiffens up really bad. If I wear flats for several days, and then try to put on heels it is very painful. I actually have to wear heels every couple of days for a few hours just to keep the joint from getting used to one position. If this is as good as it' going to get, I am disappointed ... but it is still better than it was before the surgery.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,687 times
Default 10 year old toe implants

My wife at 60 years of age had (2) big toe joints replaced 9-10 years ago in 2003. Aside from some severe pain and discomfort in the first 30-60 days, she was happy as a clam and played tennis twice a week all this time. One of the joints is beginning to act up and appears to be out of alignment. Although the the surgeon was considered the expert at the time, the same could not be said for the hospital. It was a dreadful and traumatic experience for both of us. He only operates at this facility so we are in need of a new "expert" in NJ so that this joint can be checked out. The originals were done about 1 year apart and are of the titanium silastic variety.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,161 times
I've just had a big toe joint replacement (silicone). I was told to expect a lot of pain in the first couple of weeks but i'm happy to say i have had none. i had a pain killing injection behind the knee which was to give me longer lasting pain relief (up to 48 hrs) and also the injections around my ankles. Since the op on 11 April, I havent taken one painkiller. i have been told to sit with my feet up and only move for 5 minutes each hour, but i find that hard to too when Its feeling so good. However Im not being silly and am doing ankle excercises as shown and can wiggle all my toes. I have to go back for my dressing appt on 23rd. Cant wait to see what it looks like.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM

15 posts, read 81,912 times
I started to play tennis again 1 year ago, 2 years after the surgery. No problems, no pain. Life is good!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,545 times
Bone Spur = Toe Joint?

When I was finding I couldn't hike more than 10 miles without my left foot throbbing, I went to a foot doc. He filed-off a bone spur on my right big toe joint back in early January, and I was told to expect a full recovery within a couple of months. I wore a "ski boot" for a week, a sandal for a week more, then back to normal shoes. The soreness leveled off, but persisted after two months.

The doc had a closer look at my x-ray and announced: I needed a new toe joint. Oh. Did we miss something the first time around? Apparently, that toe cartilage was on the way out, and more filing-down, fusion, or an artificial joint were my options. He recommended the joint for active people, like I've been trying to be. And, he's been doing them for over 20 years and claimed they are highly successful with his patients. Okay, fine.

A second opinion from another foot doc agreed with him, which indicates at least the bone spur procedure wasn't botched. Not sure why he didn't see this toe joint thing coming at the time he took care of the spur, as the 2nd doc said shrinking cartilage is a cause of bone spurring.

Confusingly, he said I could wait a while and see if the soreness stops, after initially telling me one of the 3 procedures were the only option. I'd be sore forever other wise.

I can walk no problem, hike at least 8 miles at a time, jog lightly, and bike ride at least 75 miles. But it is mildly sore, and majorly if bent. Should I or shouldn't I?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,161 times
Well if you have osteo-arthritis in your toe joint, its only going to get worse.
I left mine 4 years (because my initial doctor couldnt find anything wrong, but he never actually sent me for an xray. im now 5 weeks post op. i can wear heels already (albeit not for long) but that was my main aim. I still suffer from a little swelling and the pain has gone but it does sometimes feel like im walking on a stone under my toe, but hey its only been 5 weeks.

Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbot View Post
Bone Spur = Toe Joint?

When I was finding I couldn't hike more than 10 miles without my left foot throbbing, I went to a foot doc. He filed-off a bone spur on my right big toe joint back in early January, and I was told to expect a full recovery within a couple of months. I wore a "ski boot" for a week, a sandal for a week more, then back to normal shoes. The soreness leveled off, but persisted after two months.

The doc had a closer look at my x-ray and announced: I needed a new toe joint. Oh. Did we miss something the first time around? Apparently, that toe cartilage was on the way out, and more filing-down, fusion, or an artificial joint were my options. He recommended the joint for active people, like I've been trying to be. And, he's been doing them for over 20 years and claimed they are highly successful with his patients. Okay, fine.

A second opinion from another foot doc agreed with him, which indicates at least the bone spur procedure wasn't botched. Not sure why he didn't see this toe joint thing coming at the time he took care of the spur, as the 2nd doc said shrinking cartilage is a cause of bone spurring.

Confusingly, he said I could wait a while and see if the soreness stops, after initially telling me one of the 3 procedures were the only option. I'd be sore forever other wise.

I can walk no problem, hike at least 8 miles at a time, jog lightly, and bike ride at least 75 miles. But it is mildly sore, and majorly if bent. Should I or shouldn't I?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,418 times
Default Replacement of big toe joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs g View Post
Hi, I have just had a toe joint replaced last week. I am suffering from osteo arthritus and the joint became stiff and painfull. It was a painfull operation and I am manageing to hobble around but I will let you know the outcome if you want. It is only 6 days ago I had it done so still a lot of physio ahead.
I had the surgery nearly four weeks ago. My foot is still brown indicating that circulation is not what it should be. The pain is incredible and I cannot wear a shoe. I bought size 10 tennis shoes at Goodwill yesterday in anticipation of being cleared to drive when I go to the doctor Tuesday but the pain level is still so high. How long should the pain level remain high? What type of physical therapy have you received or been told you will need?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,571 times
Thumbs down big toe joint replacement

well! I had my big toe joint taken out cause it was sooo painful.,it was full of arthritis. Iwas in my early fiftys.. Dr. said,I would be able to get back in heels, and no more pain... Well, after a year it started hurt, and the joint was loose and my toe was broke, SURGERY AGAIN... now 5 yrs later, toes is up in the air, cant get it to go to the ground ,and last couple yrs painfull. The joint is totally loose and very painfull.just had xrays and another dr, is sending me to head dr. he said more surgery.. I guess it is better for older, slower person.. But me ,Im NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness