U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,792,337 times

Advertisements

My mom just informed me she will start infusion therapy for her R.A.
Anyone been through this? Can you tell me what she is about to experience?
Did it help you?
Medicade covered 80 her insurance 20. Thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,075,844 times
Did she tell you which of several possible medications will be infused ??

Some basic information here:
Infusion Treatments For Rheumatoid Arthritis | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM

No,she could not remember the medication.
I did visit that site before posting here. Thx

Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 PM

11,762 posts, read 12,953,880 times
I can't be much help except to tell you I have a friend who gets the infusions and YES they definitely help her. The only specific things she has said is that they take awhile so she carries her Kindle, that there are lots of others there getting infusions at the same time-so she can spend time talking to them and that she gets chills really,really bad during the infusion so the facility now provides her with a warm blanket.
Sorry that is all I know but I can call and ask her specific questions if you would like me to.
Bottom line is that she really is helped.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM

8,922 posts, read 13,382,444 times
Has your mother taken anything else for RA? Such as injections, including Enbrel, Humira?

The infusion therapy was the first biologic therapy approved, it is done via IV. It was quickly followed by injection therapy of biologics. I do believe Medicare covers such, you might wish to look it up. I read an
article (sorry I don't have the URL for now) that doctors get tremendous reimbursement for infusion therapy if done in their office. I had a rheumatologist who insisted on doing infusion therapy, and had a very nice infusion clinic set up! I went to another who prescribes Enbrel, which is a 2x/week self-administered injection.

I believe the infusion is called Remicaide.

To my knowledge, the injections are as effective as the infusion, and much more convenient. I would insist on a trial of injections first, then go to infusion therapy.

Also, I believe medicare Part A pays for infusion. I believe Part D will pay for injections, but my information might not be accurate or up-to-date. I think that's why those with Medicare were more or less "forced" onto infusion therapy when Remicaide first came out.

I realize I'm not giving much information here, other than to check out alternatives and insurance coverage. Also, do NOT ask your doctor's office about insurance coverage, they can be biased, check with the plan itself. Good luck---

and I've used enbrel for many years with no problem. Don't be afraid to give yourself a shot, its quite easy, just a sub-q = under the skin. Easier than running to the doctor x's/month!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 AM

First infusion is Tuesday. I plan on checking up on her.
Many thanks posters!!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM

18,435 posts, read 26,650,561 times
I know of an infusion called Remicade. That is what was out when I was working for a Rheumatologist group. More may have come out since then. She can plan on spending several hours there.

I was dx with RA as well and I use Humira injection once weekly and it has made a world of a difference. I hope your mother gets some relief.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Remicade is the one. she says she can now open and close her hands after 1 treatment.
she is extremely tired though.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM

18,435 posts, read 26,650,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Remicade is the one. she says she can now open and close her hands after 1 treatment.
That's good. Yep, the treatment is gonna take it out of her.....

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 AM

64,450 posts, read 71,724,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
The good news is she has some mobility in her hands. That is wonderful. the bad news, she says she is very tired. This is what we are all living with right now. Medicine has come so far and we are so lucky, but for every positive med or treatment there seems to be a down side. We have to make our decisions on treatments based on good information from our doctors and weight the pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness