Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

this is occurring with EVERY medical appointment and even non medical appointment. I am on vacation from work and have had to cancel every single appointment for a lower abdominal scan last week, an ENT appt yesterday, a follow up oncology appt today (not serious it can wait), and i am thinking of cancelling my rescheduled lower abdominal scan again but i HAVE to make the ENT appt Friday because I want to try to find out if i have labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis that is causing these attacks.

I originally thought this came from my Diabetes or was some kind of GI issue but i am starting to think that it is inner ear related instead.

in the past it was no problem at all to make appointments but now i cannot do them due to intense nausea/panic reaction. i need valium to have a simple dental cleaning or gum treatment

just today i had to cancel a conference call with my financial planner and insurance agent and it was in the privacy of my own home. nausea and rapid heartbeat were the culprits, and they conveniently come on like an hour or so before the appointments

ive developed a dread of the apartment house my ENT, dermatologist and eye dotor are in, as well as the parking garage i often have to use to park there because there are hardly any spots on the street and the whole complex is on a hill. everytime i go to that bldg i get panic attacks

I HAVE to make the ENT appt Friday at least. maybe i should have a liquid lunch like Glucerna(as opposed to solids) before going. I HAVE to get through this, this is consuming me. it is turning me into a recluse and i no longer go anywhere or travel out of my area

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM

ive read that inner infections can develop after a cold virus which i had in march and i also had a cold virus 2 years ago with same panic symptoms that followed but this year it's worse. doesn't seem like it's GI to me because even with some nausea i still can eat to a degree and i am not sickened by the sight or smell of food. i often call it nausea but maybe it's really vertigo that feels like nausea but it's no help when i cannot even make the appointments that may be able to diagnose the problem

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You need to consider Generalized Anxiety Disorder. From your posts, you seem to be a bit of a hypochondriac. Maybe developing agoraphobia?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
nice piece of empathy there..... saying someone is a hypochondriac is not only insensitive but stupid.. doctors dont know everything and a lot of illnesses slip through the net..... especially ones that arent contagious....

Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 AM

Not trying to be heartless. A lot of mental health issues also fall through the cracks.

Rlrl, you seem to be what used to be called a "brittle diabetic," meaning the least little thing can cause your glucose to rapidly rise or fall. I don't know if you have discussed this with your doctor. You can also ask for a consult with a diabetic educator. All hospitals have them and most insurances cover it. I saw one about 3 times and it helped me a lot. Having a professional (they are Registered Dietician) review your eating habits could help.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 AM

SBIU I do notice you can be a bit harsh but on the other hand you also seem to give good advice at times. such as what you just posted about brittle diabetes. since ive resumed my metformin to 3 times a day i no longer get temporary hyperglycemia and the nausea is not from the metformin or victoza. and i don't see any connection between these attacks and either lo or high sugar readings.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM

yes youre right a lot of mental health issues do fall thru the cracks. ive been diagnosed with GAD for years but if i ever had these symptoms, they were minimal. theyve been with me since i moved out on my own in 1991 but believe me it's gotten 98% worse. both my parents passed within the past 5 years do some folks develop this after a parent's death? im also single and live alone and don't have a lot of support but ive also done well anyway

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM

it seems that the brittle diabetes syndrome is for type 1, but im a type II. my a1c is 6.1

Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Oh, I didn't know that brittle diabetes was only Type I. I'm Type II and usually run higher than I should. Glad the metformin has evened you out. Your A1c is better than mine!

Do you see someone for the GAD or have medication for it? You should pay as much attention to it as to glucose as both can wreck your life if not treated. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 PM

i take paxil but im wondering if a med with a more relaxation effect might be better. my therapist suggested small doses of valium which i agree with but my doctor won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness